Twin Endorsements for Kilgore rock Kaine
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 01:15:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Twin Endorsements for Kilgore rock Kaine
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Twin Endorsements for Kilgore rock Kaine  (Read 1134 times)
AuH2O
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 06, 2005, 08:39:26 PM »

First, Kilgore was endorsed by the NRA and toured the state with Wayne LaPierre-- a key factor in rural areas.

But what really hit Kaine was the Fairfax Chamber of Commerce, which has backed Warner, going for Kilgore. Here's an AP article on those endorsements:

http://www.dailypress.com/news/local/virginia/dp-va--governorsrace1006oct06,0,4725772.story?coll=dp-headlines-virginia

Also, debate moderator Larry Sabato nailed Kaine to save the debate, which the Kaine campaign wanted to modify in violation of previously-agreed upon rules. Here's an article from yesterday dealing with that controversy (latest developments not included):

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/04/AR2005100401552.html

At this stage, Kilgore, mediocre as he may be, has gained momentum and appears likely to cut the coalition that elected Warner off at the knees.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 08:46:43 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2005, 09:06:33 PM by nickshep democRAT »

Kaine simply wanted to use debate coverage in his TV ad's.  Why?  He knows he's going to slap Kilgore around like a redheaded stepchild... Again.  Can't blame him there.

Now the endorsements... Of course the'yre going to hurt.  How bad remains to be seen.  The key endorsement in this race has been behind Kaine since the beginning.  The TV spot has just begun to hit the airwaves though.

On a side note.  Id really like to see the next poll out of VA ask Potts voters A.  WTF are they thinking?  B.  If Potts was to dropout who would they vote for?

One more thing, didnt Warner fail to receive the NRA endorsement back in 2001?  If Im not mistaken the remained neutral throughout most of the race, but at the very end when they backed Warners opponent.

AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 09:08:49 PM »

I don't recall, but the NRA never issued a strong endorsement.. maybe they made a suggestion of Earley. Nothing like this though. They have specifically come out for Kilgore and strongly against Kaine. That's no small potatoes.

The debate issue is not about Kaine knowing he's going to make Kilgore his bitch. You can take any outcome of debate and, via some simple editing, make a clip that distorts the opponent's position or otherwise represents them unfairly. Both sides agreed and it's not like Kaine was probably afraid of debating Kilgore originally, either.

Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 09:10:34 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2005, 09:12:08 PM by nickshep democRAT »

I don't recall, but the NRA never issued a strong endorsement.. maybe they made a suggestion of Earley. Nothing like this though. They have specifically come out for Kilgore and strongly against Kaine. That's no small potatoes.

The debate issue is not about Kaine knowing he's going to make Kilgore his bitch. You can take any outcome of debate and, via some simple editing, make a clip that distorts the opponent's position or otherwise represents them unfairly. Both sides agreed and it's not like Kaine was probably afraid of debating Kilgore originally, either.

I really dont see the problem with the editing of the debate for TV spots.  If both Kaine and Kilgore do it, they'll probably just neutralize each other.

Its pretty obvious you wont be voting for Kaine.  Are you going to vote for Kilgore, Potts, or go third party?
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 10:52:38 PM »

Maybe none, I don't know. It's a hassle because I go to college in SC. If I vote it will be for Kilgore. He's better on transportation and taxes. Kaine was not that effective as Mayor of Richmond and Virginia's strength has usually been relatively efficient, pro-growth government. Kilgore won't wow anyone but for 4 years, he should  be competent.

There's no doubt I would vote McDonnell for AG... I like him the most of any of the statewide candidates.
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 11:25:11 AM »

In 2001, the NRA did not endorse either candidate.
MissCatholic

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2005, 07:06:59 AM »

i said that if Kaine won i would eat a giraffe. so im stil not expecting him to win.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies