Will Trump be impeached?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 08:23:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will Trump be impeached?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Will he?
Yes

No

Unsure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 80

Author Topic: Will Trump be impeached?  (Read 2397 times)
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 20, 2018, 11:58:54 AM »

In the case, that the Democrats take control of the House and/or the Senate, will Trump be impeached?

BTW, I know that impeachment is not removal from office. Actual removal from office will be harder, especially if the Dems don't get back control of the Senate.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 12:00:45 PM »

Democrats should vote to impeach him in the House a week from the 2020 election
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 12:03:56 PM »

I’m pretty sure he’ll be impeached if the Dems win in November. As you said whether he’s actually removed from office is less likely. I’d expect if it looked like a criminal indictment was likely he’d resign and strike a deal.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 12:05:15 PM »

I think it's more likely than not that a Democrat-controlled House would vote to impeach him barring the extremely unlikely contingency that Mueller totally exonerates him. Removal from office is much less likely unless it's a slam dunk case against him AND it comes down with enough time left in the term for the political process to play out before the 2020 election.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 12:05:38 PM »

I’m pretty sure he’ll be impeached if the Dems win in November. As you said whether he’s actually removed from office is less likely. I’d expect if it looked like a criminal indictment was likely he’d resign and strike a deal.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 12:25:15 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2018, 12:30:31 PM by True Federalist »

I suspect that Pelosi may try to appease some in her party by allowing hearings on possible impeachment charges, but unless things look a lot worse for Trump than they do now I doubt there will be an actual impeachment vote in the House.  Besides, hearings, especially ones focused on the emoluments clause and to what extent the Trump Organization has enriched itself thanks to its boss being President, will accomplish all that might be desired politically while denying Trump the "victory" of not being convicted in the Senate.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 12:26:29 PM »

In the event Dems have a decent-sized House Majority, I think they might well be railroaded into it by their base, knowing full well how pointless and stupid it is. An impeached Trump would be easily acquitted by the Senate and it'd actually leave him looking like he won the battle and would probably boost his popularity.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 12:29:12 PM »

I think it's more likely than not that a Democrat-controlled House would vote to impeach him barring the extremely unlikely contingency that Mueller totally exonerates him. Removal from office is much less likely unless it's a slam dunk case against him AND it comes down with enough time left in the term for the political process to play out before the 2020 election.

I think even if Democrats don't have the votes to convict and remove Trump from office, the vote should still be held to force Republicans to go on the record for all posterity. 
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 12:33:08 PM »

In the case, that the Democrats take control of the House and/or the Senate, will Trump be impeached?

BTW, I know that impeachment is not removal from office. Actual removal from office will be harder, especially if the Dems don't get back control of the Senate.

Even in the unlikely event they did get back the Senate, it takes a two-thirds vote to remove him from office. There's no chance that happens.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 12:54:39 PM »

In the event Dems have a decent-sized House Majority, I think they might well be railroaded into it by their base, knowing full well how pointless and stupid it is. An impeached Trump would be easily acquitted by the Senate and it'd actually leave him looking like he won the battle and would probably boost his popularity.

While I think Trump absolutely deserves impeachment, I've come to share your view.

Unless evidence emerges of something that will bring enough GOP Senators to support impeachment, I think the Dems are better off letting the Republicans stand by their cowardly, corrupt, crooked, Kremlin-lickspittle cult leader and just get Republicans out of office.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 01:08:09 PM »

I voted "Unsure."
If the Dem's take The House, and if Mueller has some moderate to highly damning information/charges (on trump directly or others in his campaign), then I think that the Dems will impeach trump in the first chamber.
This will happen no earlier than in 2019, maybe in 2020.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2018, 01:12:50 PM »

While I think Trump absolutely deserves impeachment, I've come to share your view.

Unless evidence emerges of something that will bring enough GOP Senators to support impeachment, I think the Dems are better off letting the Republicans stand by their cowardly, corrupt, crooked, Kremlin-lickspittle cult leader and just get Republicans out of office.

What if they were to impeach him right after the GOP Presidential convention, after the morons give the Orange Clown another nomination (July-ish 2020)?
Is this possible? Or too difficult/impossible since the chambers need their get-out-the-vote election break.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2018, 01:18:22 PM »

What if they were to impeach him right after the GOP Presidential convention, after the morons give the Orange Clown another nomination (July-ish 2020)?
Is this possible? Or too difficult/impossible since the chambers need their get-out-the-vote election break.

Presumably, Congress will be out of session from mid-July (start of the conventions) through September, in session in September, and out again for October in 2020, so you'd need to shove through the quickie House impeachment in September and there'd be no time for a Senate trial until the lame duck period (at which point why bother).
Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2018, 01:38:41 PM »

Pre-2016 me says how could he not be impeached? Present day me says no chance at all.
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2018, 01:44:46 PM »

If it does happen; can't wait to see the Trumpets reaction.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2018, 01:47:05 PM »

Yes, a Dem takeover is likely. Damage him as much as possible so there are no surprises in 2020. Dems do want retribution for the stolen Crt seat as well
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2018, 01:54:40 PM »

Either that or he resigns. Maybe this makes me an optimist, but I think that if it become obvious that he's committed crimes and Mueller has a slam-dunk case, even a Republican Congress is going to turn on him
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2018, 01:57:41 PM »

It depends on how quickly Mueller issues his report, and just how damning it is for Trump. I think a number of Democrats are going to be reluctant to impeach on obstruction alone, for fear of electoral blowback, but if it can be clearly demonstrated that Trump himself (not just those around him) was informed of and cooperated with the Russians in their hacking plot (something that I view as likely based on Trump's behavior, but which hasn't been conclusively proven yet) then I think it would be close to a certainty that he would be impeached.

I doubt he gets removed unless the Republican losses in the Congress this year are much larger than expected, say in the 70+ seat range in the House, in which case many Republicans in both chambers may (emphasis on "may" given that it is hard to tell just how strong the pull of the Trump cult is in Congress) feel they are better off in 2020 with a new nominee.

Obviously if Republicans hold a majority in the House (unlikely, in my view, but definitely possible) then he won't be impeached, almost regardless of what Mueller's report finds.

Sorry for all of the parentheticals, but lots of caveats seem necessary when discussing this.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2018, 03:21:05 PM »

It depends on how quickly Mueller issues his report, and just how damning it is for Trump. I think a number of Democrats are going to be reluctant to impeach on obstruction alone, for fear of electoral blowback, but if it can be clearly demonstrated that Trump himself (not just those around him) was informed of and cooperated with the Russians in their hacking plot (something that I view as likely based on Trump's behavior, but which hasn't been conclusively proven yet) then I think it would be close to a certainty that he would be impeached.

I doubt he gets removed unless the Republican losses in the Congress this year are much larger than expected, say in the 70+ seat range in the House, in which case many Republicans in both chambers may (emphasis on "may" given that it is hard to tell just how strong the pull of the Trump cult is in Congress) feel they are better off in 2020 with a new nominee.

Obviously if Republicans hold a majority in the House (unlikely, in my view, but definitely possible) then he won't be impeached, almost regardless of what Mueller's report finds.

Sorry for all of the parentheticals, but lots of caveats seem necessary when discussing this.

This is a good summary of what could happen.
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2018, 03:33:41 PM »

tallguy23
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2018, 03:49:31 PM »

They should only go there if evidence points to Trump having committed serious crimes (election fraud, treason, bank fraud, etc).

If it's a Clinton blowjob situation then they should step back. It will just help Trump and hurt the Dems.
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2018, 04:35:57 PM »

I just can't see this happening in the senate unless things get much, much worse.
twenty42
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2018, 04:48:48 PM »

How many threads do we need on this? No, he is not getting impeached. Even Dems aren’t stupid enough to waste time on a meaningless grandstand instead of preparing for the 2020 election.

People on this forum pride themselves on having a supposedly excellent understanding of politics and civics, yet we get one thread a week that muses over the possibility of a nonsensical event.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2018, 04:50:54 PM »

I just can't see this happening in the senate unless things get much, much worse.
The Senate doesn't handle impeachment, only the House does. The Senate votes on the removal of the President and yeah, that most likely won't happen unless the Mueller investigation drops an irrefutable bombshell.

Impeachment is not removal. Impeachment is just charging the President with a crime(s).
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2018, 04:55:55 PM »

How many threads do we need on this? No, he is not getting impeached. Even Dems aren’t stupid enough to waste time on a meaningless grandstand instead of preparing for the 2020 election.

People on this forum pride themselves on having a supposedly excellent understanding of politics and civics, yet we get one thread a week that muses over the possibility of a nonsensical event.

I think it's going to happen as 100% a pander to the base, many of whom are frothing at the mouth for it. It'd get them off the hook all "Hey, we tried!"

Obviously basically everyone knows it's doomed to failure in the Senate, but some people who don't follow politics will need to actually watch it happen.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies