Leonard Garment's book In Search of Deep Throat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:06:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Book Reviews and Discussion (Moderator: Torie)
  Leonard Garment's book In Search of Deep Throat
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Leonard Garment's book In Search of Deep Throat  (Read 662 times)
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 20, 2018, 06:03:51 AM »

I saw the movie All the President's Men recently and it got me into the whole thing.  It was a coincidence because I was told by a former friend of mine that 'Nixon was framed over Watergate.'  I told him from what I'd read that seemed very unlikely but I thought I should look into it more.  Of course, after I saw it and read the book and read a few other things, I told him in my usual polite way that only an idiot could believe that and would he please stop bothering me with his idiotic conspiracy theories.  (He's also a global warming denier.)  He hasn't gotten back to me since.  I honestly can't say that I miss him though.

So, this is former Nixon White House Aide (and former Kennedy supporter) Leonard Garment's book 'In Search of Deep Throat.'  He got it wrong, but it was still an interesting read.

In regards to the book itself, though obviously we now know that Mark Felt was Deep Throat there were a couple things that I found odd.

I just read Len Garment's book 'In Search of Deep Throat' in which he explains why he thought it was John Sears.

1.Garment mentions that Bernstein also had a secret source who had been in the government and Garment correctly figured out that person was Sears.  I'd surprised with this because Sears was long gone from the Nixon Administration by then (though he visited regularly, especially the Old Executive Office building.)  I would have thought with Watergate it would have been the case of "those who know aren't talking, and those who talk don't really know anything" but obviously Sears was told.

Garment mentions that Woodward and Bernstein had separate lists of (sometimes overlapping) off the record contacts, and he contended that Deep Throat was one of those who overlapped.

I would have thought this, not just because the Watergate Conspirators would have obvious reasons to stay silent, but because I thought that with Sears finding out, that would have made him an accessory to Watergate.  I'm not a lawyer, so am I wrong here?  Garment and Sears are both lawyers.

2.I read a couple reviews and I thought it was odd that nobody mentioned the one obvious hole in Garment's theory: the anonymous source to Bernstein and Deep Throat had completely different Modus Operandi.  Deep Throat's was meeting in secret and only confirming information (with a couple exceptions), Sears was to talk freely over the phone and tell what he knew.

I think it's clear it shows what marketing can do that people were consumed for years over the identity of Deep Throat but nobody seemed interest in finding out who Bernstein's secret source was (or most of any of the other secret sources.  There was also some interest in the major female source. She was the secretary or the assistant accountant or both to the honest accountant at the Committee to Reelect The President who quit over his concerns of where the $100 bills were going. I'm pretty sure the interest in her was due to her being apparently correctly quoted as saying along the lines to Woodward and Bernstein "I hope you nail Haldeman."  Her name has since come out.)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies