2018 Atlas CFB Pick Em Contest
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 01:42:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2018 Atlas CFB Pick Em Contest
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 22
Author Topic: 2018 Atlas CFB Pick Em Contest  (Read 23320 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: October 14, 2018, 05:47:09 PM »

I only got 14 right. I'm doing a bit better in the NFL pick'em though...

Cincinnati, USF, and UCF are all unbeaten and all three play each other in November. If one of the three finishes unbeaten, will that lock in a playoff spot for that team (especially UCF?)

Even an unbeaten UCF doesn't make it unless there's complete chaos in the Power 5.  As long as there four credible Power 5 playoff teams, they'll get in over any Group of 5 team.  Yes, this is unfair to the AAC and other Group of 5 conferences, but unfortunately it's the reality.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #301 on: October 14, 2018, 06:20:09 PM »

lets be clear, the only non P5 team with any chance at the playoff is Notre Dame.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #302 on: October 14, 2018, 06:22:16 PM »

lets be clear, the only non P5 team with any chance at the playoff is Notre Dame.

I currently have Notre Dame in the playoff, and they'll get there if they run the table.

But it'll be interesting to see where UCF starts out in the first playoff rankings.

I think they'll be somewhere between 5-8 in those rankings.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #303 on: October 14, 2018, 06:24:51 PM »

UCF will be like 14 or 15 in the playoff committee rankings to start, they started below AP last year too, committee hates them.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #304 on: October 14, 2018, 06:28:20 PM »

UCF will be like 14 or 15 in the playoff committee rankings to start, they started below AP last year too, committee hates them.

They almost certainly are going to be at least a top seven team in the AP poll if they remain unbeaten, which would translate to anywhere from 6-11 in the playoff committee rankings.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #305 on: October 14, 2018, 06:37:39 PM »
« Edited: October 14, 2018, 06:53:32 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

I currently have Notre Dame in the playoff, and they'll get there if they run the table.

But it'll be interesting to see where UCF starts out in the first playoff rankings.

I currently have 6 SEC teams in my top 10. They're just going to beat up on each other with no penalty for losing giving UCF no one to jump.

I currently have UCF a very generous #12. Probably too generous. Oklahoma is arguably better without the Army cloud hanging over them and NC State, Oregon and Mississippi State will be given a chance to prove they belong ahead next week too.

I suspect Notre Dame will lose to USC narrowly to open up a controversy benefitting a 1 loss Big 12 champion. I can see Ohio State losing in surprise fashion and still winning the conference. NC State doesn't have a loseable gameafter Clemson if they come out unscathed given how Cuse is playing. While Clemson closes with 3 trap games, I'd be stunned if they lost any or at least more than after besting the Wolf Pack, which effectively locks up the ACC crown and a playoff spot. So the winner of that game is basically in.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #306 on: October 14, 2018, 06:47:28 PM »

I currently have 6 SEC teams in my top 10. They're just going to beat up on each other with no penalty for losing giving UCF no one to jump.

I currently have UCF a very generous #12. Probably too generous. Oklahoma is arguably better without the Army cloud hanging over them and NC State, Oregon and Mississippi State will be given a chance to prove they belong ahead next week too.

Come on, UCF is ahead of Kentucky, and unless NC State actually beats Clemson they'll be ahead of them too.

As for Mississippi State/LSU, I think LSU would take a huge hit with a loss, because that would be their second loss.

Same with Oregon if they lose to Washington State this upcoming week.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #307 on: October 14, 2018, 07:07:31 PM »

What has UCF done to be ahead of Kentucky? Kentucky has a top 10 road scalp, manhandled a top 20 team, and took care of a top 30 team. Their only loss is in overtime at one of the toughest or maybe the toughest road environment in college football, where #3 only escaped on a failed 2 point conversion.

For those keeping score at home right now, Alabama / Clemson > Texas A&M > Kentucky > Florida > LSU > Georgia. And the only one that came on the road was Kentucky's victory. For the record, that's not the order I have them in. I have LSU in the front because their road loss was basically by a single point and then had the greatest pounding of the group followed by Kentucky for such a seriously huge road win in the Swamp. But all should be very close to each other. Jacksonville is the next piece of the puzzle. Perhaps it can knock Georgia back a peg if ugly but Florida will stand firm.

My point regarding NC State and Oregon was that those teams have the opportunity to pass UCF without more teams moving behind. Not that it would happen, but it can. UCF's argument hinged on it beating Auburn so it should remain ahead until proven otherwise - as antifactual as that sounds given that they have had graduations. Well, this year's Auburn team is unranked! No name weight to help them float!
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #308 on: October 14, 2018, 07:46:44 PM »

They almost certainly are going to be at least a top seven team in the AP poll if they remain unbeaten, which would translate to anywhere from 6-11 in the playoff committee rankings.

UCF didn't move this week in either poll, even though teams ahead of them lost.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #309 on: October 14, 2018, 08:10:40 PM »

The committee does not care what the AP poll says, though.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #310 on: October 14, 2018, 08:22:54 PM »

The committee does not care what the AP poll says, though.

Correct. So UCF could easily be several spots higher...or several spots lower than their spot in the AP poll.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #311 on: October 14, 2018, 08:42:41 PM »

I only got 14 right. I'm doing a bit better in the NFL pick'em though...

Cincinnati, USF, and UCF are all unbeaten and all three play each other in November. If one of the three finishes unbeaten, will that lock in a playoff spot for that team (especially UCF?)

We've gone over this several times. No.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #312 on: October 15, 2018, 09:41:37 AM »

That depressing yet relieving week where I more or less abandon my emotional attachment to college football and just enjoy the other games/tailgating. Sad
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #313 on: October 18, 2018, 10:59:23 AM »

My upset of the week: I'm pickin' Purdue.

I won't even watch Illinois. Sad  Got friends and family coming into town (Iowa City) to tailgate, so I will follow on my phone and hope for a miracle.  I plan to stop having to care by the second quarter.
Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #314 on: October 18, 2018, 02:18:04 PM »

I won't even watch Illinois. Sad  Got friends and family coming into town (Iowa City) to tailgate, so I will follow on my phone and hope for a miracle.  I plan to stop having to care by the second quarter.

Yeah no I'm going to wait for a get-my-hopes-up update to check in on the game and, you know, get my hopes up. I don't think it will be a lose by 50 game, but its hard to think we will have any chance. I'll be much more invested in the Michigan-$party game.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #315 on: October 18, 2018, 02:19:02 PM »

I won't even watch Illinois. Sad  Got friends and family coming into town (Iowa City) to tailgate, so I will follow on my phone and hope for a miracle.  I plan to stop having to care by the second quarter.

Good pick, my friend, the Boilermakers are extremely underrated. But not so fast - Ohio State by 4 - squeaker. Purdue doesn't have as much of a homefield advantage you might think.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #316 on: October 18, 2018, 04:14:07 PM »

I'm torn between Clemson and NC State. Clemson should win this, but NC State has looked really impressive lately, and I don't think an upset is out of the question.

I have Clemson right now, but NC State grows on me each passing day.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #317 on: October 19, 2018, 10:41:34 AM »

I don't think these upsets ever happen when we expect them regarding Clemson, will probably fall short of happening again.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #318 on: October 19, 2018, 11:25:34 AM »

I don't think these upsets ever happen when we expect them regarding Clemson, will probably fall short of happening again.

A stark contrast from the earlier years of my college football life, when my friends and I used "Clemsoning" as a verb with very real meaning.  "#19 Clemson upset 20-17 by [insert 3-5 team] just before program took the step up to being big time" was a yearly tradition, it seemed.  I had a nice list of all of those glorious, program-derailing losses compiled, but Atlas logged me out ... and when I log in, instead of taking me back to my post, everything is erased.  Great feature, Dave.

The Tigers have really stepped it up since then, though.  I miss old Clemson. Tongue
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #319 on: October 19, 2018, 12:10:16 PM »

Clemson used to be one of my favorite college teams back in the Clemsoning days.  They were a likeable underdog, good team but not threatening.  Im so sick of them now.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #320 on: October 19, 2018, 01:21:43 PM »
« Edited: October 19, 2018, 01:51:50 PM by sjoyce »

A stark contrast from the earlier years of my college football life, when my friends and I used "Clemsoning" as a verb with very real meaning.  "#19 Clemson upset 20-17 by [insert 3-5 team] just before program took the step up to being big time" was a yearly tradition, it seemed.
Came very close to losing against both A&M and Syracuse, with half of the schedule to go. Just give it time, it'll happen. If I had to pick a spot, somewhere in their last three games (a decent BC team, a very good Duke, and a rivalry game with SC) seems like the most likely slipup.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #321 on: October 20, 2018, 02:51:36 PM »

So much for Cincinnati, which fell apart at the end of the game.
Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #322 on: October 20, 2018, 04:08:46 PM »

Little brother lol
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #323 on: October 20, 2018, 10:06:49 PM »

I’m loving this Ohio State game.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #324 on: October 20, 2018, 10:28:04 PM »

Well Ohio State fans, even though you got clowned on by Purdue, at least you can go out of this game proud that you have the moral high ground. Ohio State does things the right way. It’s not like your program sold its soul to win at any cost for nothing.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies