2018 Atlas CFB Pick Em Contest
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 07:14:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2018 Atlas CFB Pick Em Contest
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 22
Author Topic: 2018 Atlas CFB Pick Em Contest  (Read 23311 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: October 28, 2018, 12:42:57 AM »

Texas going down doesn't change a thing about Oklahoma's chances of making the playoff. It wasn't going to happen before, and it definitely isn't going to happen now.

My Predictions for the top four in this week's initial rankings:

1. Alabama (Alabama really hasn't done much to justify being in the #1 spot, but they haven't done much to justify losing it either.  That said, next week's matchup with LSU in Baton Rouge is probably a playoff play-in for both teams)

2. Clemson (Clemson's done just enough to earn a top-two spot in the first rankings, but they have a history of losing when a one least expects them to. What if that's the ACC Championship game against Virginia, Virginia Tech or Pittsburgh?)

3. Notre Dame (As long as Notre Dame keeps winning, they are in...however, after watching Northwestern dismantle Wisconsin this week, and noting that they are now on the inside track to winning the Big Ten West, I think the Wildcats of Northwestern will be a tougher foe than Notre Dame fans realize)

4. LSU (At least for this initial ranking, LSU will occupy the fourth spot. If LSU beats Alabama next week, expect them to switch positions in the committee's rankings. If Alabama wins, expect LSU to drop off altogether, though LSU would probably earn a Sugar Bowl bid over Georgia based on LSU's strength of schedule, including a head-to-head victory against Georgia, and if it counts at all, the fact the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans is closer to Baton Rouge than it is to Athens, Georgia).
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #351 on: October 28, 2018, 08:00:25 AM »

Northwestern did not play well against a very bad Wisconsin team that is barely top 40 in the country and missing their QB causing fumbles galore. And that score already could have been a lot worse.

Not that Notre Dame is really close to an elite team, so they could fall. But that says little about my beloved Northwestern.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #352 on: October 28, 2018, 08:32:15 AM »

Memo for the record: don't second-guess yourself. I originally had Arizona over Oregon, and changed it at the last minute (something I almost never do).  Arizona won 44-15.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #353 on: October 28, 2018, 09:07:22 AM »

Was very glad to see Oklahoma State take down Texas. I really like Mike Gundy and his hair just makes it even better.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #354 on: October 29, 2018, 01:13:45 PM »

Congrats Tom! And more importantly, congrats America! The witch is dead!

Makes me feel a little better about the shellacking they put on Illinois, LOL.  Though I am under no illusions that Illinois is anything other than a bad football team at this point in time, their losses have, arguably, all been to good teams.  How they fare against a Maryland team that just got put down like a sick pet vs. Iowa will tell me much more.  Need to check out this week's picks and try to stay near the top. Smiley

Did you learn enough about Illinois this week?

Yes, more than I cared to. Sad  Glad I have a wedding this Saturday.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #355 on: October 29, 2018, 01:24:53 PM »

Congrats Tom! And more importantly, congrats America! The witch is dead!

Makes me feel a little better about the shellacking they put on Illinois, LOL.  Though I am under no illusions that Illinois is anything other than a bad football team at this point in time, their losses have, arguably, all been to good teams.  How they fare against a Maryland team that just got put down like a sick pet vs. Iowa will tell me much more.  Need to check out this week's picks and try to stay near the top. Smiley

Did you learn enough about Illinois this week?

Yes, more than I cared to. Sad  Glad I have a wedding this Saturday.

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #356 on: October 29, 2018, 02:15:05 PM »

Picking LSU to beat Alabama this week, wish me luck.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #357 on: October 30, 2018, 08:41:58 AM »

That's not a terrible choice for an upset pick.  If Alabama loses anywhere in the regular season, it will be here.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #358 on: October 30, 2018, 05:47:14 PM »

That's not a terrible choice for an upset pick.  If Alabama loses anywhere in the regular season, it will be here.

I just can't see LSU stringing together enough offense to win.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #359 on: October 30, 2018, 06:38:50 PM »

I think the question isn't how good LSU's offense is, but how good their defense is. If their Defense can shut down Alabama, a win is very possible.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #360 on: October 30, 2018, 06:46:15 PM »

That's not a terrible choice for an upset pick.  If Alabama loses anywhere in the regular season, it will be here.

I think the question isn't how good LSU's offense is, but how good their defense is. If their Defense can shut down Alabama, a win is very possible.
Teams rarely beat Alabama by slowing them down and winning in a low scoring game. Almost everyone that beats them has had a efficient offensive effort that game and usually scores a decent amount of points.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #361 on: October 30, 2018, 06:47:26 PM »

A great defensive game by LSU would hold Alabama to 28 points.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #362 on: October 30, 2018, 07:42:45 PM »

First playoff rankings are out, and the top four are as follows:

1. Alabama

2. Clemson

3. LSU

4.  Notre Dame

Other notables

5. Michigan

6. Georgia

7. Oklahoma

8. Washington State

9. Kentucky

10. Ohio State

12. UCF

13. West Virginia

19. Syracuse

23. Fresno State

The full list can be found here:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings/_/poll/21/week/10/year/2018/seasontype/2

I feel like I did really well. I got all four teams right, and the only thing I got wrong was the LSU/Notre Dame order. Maybe they should put me on the committee.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #363 on: November 01, 2018, 09:18:55 PM »

Will be cheering on a Notre Dame defeat this Saturday from Ryan Field - go Cats~!!
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #364 on: November 01, 2018, 10:37:15 PM »

https://www.dailywire.com/news/37853/maryland-football-coach-reinstated-fired-one-day-james-barrett

It's been long rumored, and almost didn't happen, but thanks too an athlete death at a practice, D.J Durkin is out as Maryland Head Coach.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/maryland-coaching-candidates-mike-locksley-greg-schiano-among-those-to-replace-dj-durkin/

Among the names being bandied about already are Dino Babers, Matt Canada, Jason Candle, Geoff Collins, Mike Houston, Mike Leach, Mike Locksley, Les Miles, Mike Norville, Matt Rhule, Greg Schiano, Jake Spavital, and Charlie Strong.

Will Maryland get one of those coaches, or is there another possible candidate (Maybe Virginia Defensive Coordinator Nick Howell, or Steve Addazio?)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #365 on: November 02, 2018, 08:07:42 PM »

Will be cheering on a Notre Dame defeat this Saturday from Ryan Field - go Cats~!!

Dang, I was planning to be there earlier this year, but a friend just invited me to MSU @Maryland instead.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #366 on: November 02, 2018, 08:09:54 PM »

Dang, I was planning to be there earlier this year, but a friend just invited me to MSU @Maryland instead.

You should've gone to Notre Dame/Northwestern. Michigan State is going to crush Maryland, especially with the turmoil in the Terrapins program right now.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #367 on: November 02, 2018, 08:12:40 PM »

That’s a much less important game tho
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #368 on: November 02, 2018, 08:16:05 PM »

I've been to Evanston many times but never College Park nor to a game of the beloved Spartans. It was a tough call, but this is most convenient. The best choice of the weekend north of Dixie is obviously Dartmouth @ Princeton, but alas, I am not home.

Northwestern's game does not matter for them in the Big Ten race, so my purple goggles are already looking at Iowa.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #369 on: November 02, 2018, 09:54:10 PM »

I've been to Evanston many times but never College Park nor to a game of the beloved Spartans. It was a tough call, but this is most convenient. The best choice of the weekend north of Dixie is obviously Dartmouth @ Princeton, but alas, I am not home.

Northwestern's game does not matter for them in the Big Ten race, so my purple goggles are already looking at Iowa.

No, but it's really important for Notre Dame.

Northwestern probably can afford a loss to Iowa if they just beat Minnesota and Illinois, as they already have five Conference wins.

Iowa still has to face Purdue this week (possible upset there), and Illinois and Nebraska (which granted are likely wins).

I certainly can see Iowa losing to Purdue tomorrow, to make Northwestern/Iowa a little less important.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #370 on: November 03, 2018, 03:01:10 PM »

Princeton defeats Dartmouth to reach 8-0! Now in line for the first undefeated season since 1964 and first outright championship of my conscious lifetime! After all these years of going to games! Just Yale and Penn stand in the way. What a 150th anniversary gift to football.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #371 on: November 03, 2018, 03:45:48 PM »

In early action today, Georgia leads Kentucky, Texas leads West Virginia, Purdue leads Iowa, Michigan leads Penn State, Virginia Tech leads Boston College, Missouri leads Florida, Arizona State leads Utah.

In games that have already gone final, Clemson crushed Louisville, Ohio State barely escaped against Nebraska, Auburn "upset" Texas A&M and Iowa State easily defeated Kansas.

Obviously all eyes on the Alabama/LSU game tonight.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #372 on: November 03, 2018, 06:05:33 PM »

I propose that RINO Tom be required to make all his future picks by flipping a coin.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #373 on: November 03, 2018, 06:32:36 PM »

Missouri just flattened Florida, Purdue beat Iowa, Georgia crushed Kentucky, Michigan butchered Penn State, and Arizona State flattened Utah.

Oh, and the West Virginia/Texas game is going to the wire.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #374 on: November 03, 2018, 09:20:30 PM »

My goodness, Alabama is pitching a shutout against LSU.

Too bad I can't change my pick in the middle of the game...
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies