Is New York Trending Repubican (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:16:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Is New York Trending Repubican (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is New York Trending Repubican  (Read 4298 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: August 09, 2018, 08:50:05 AM »

A certain amount of this depends on Jewish voters.

Jewish voters make up a significant percentage of the vote in the suburban counties of New York, as well as NYC.  They are, for the most part, more culturally liberal than their non-Jewish counterparts (particularly their Catholic counterparts) and they are not as heavily Democratic as blacks and Hispanics are (although many Republican Jews in Greater NY are not in sync with the GOP's social policies nationally).
Rockland County is 30% Jewish - more than any other county or county-equivalent in the United States.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 07:09:34 PM »

Who did better upstate, John Kerry or Hillary Clinton?

Kerry won Upstate NY in 2004. I assume Hillary lost it. Whoever wins Upstate NY, will also win Northern New England and the Rust Belt like Kerry in 2004, minus OH.
Defining Upstate as everything North of NYC, I think she only won it by a hair iirc.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 07:24:04 PM »

Who did better upstate, John Kerry or Hillary Clinton?

Kerry won Upstate NY in 2004. I assume Hillary lost it. Whoever wins Upstate NY, will also win Northern New England and the Rust Belt like Kerry in 2004, minus OH.
Defining Upstate as everything North of NYC, I think she only won it by a hair iirc.

Westchester isn't upstate.
There exists more than one definition of Upstate NY. A very simple division one might make is: NYC, LI, and Upstate. It'd be a definition.
In any case, I took this into account by defining the specific nature of the area I had in mind. I also implicitly was suggesting that Hillary's results were not really on par with Obama's - if you are barely winning Upstate as defined as including Westchester, you are definitely losing Upstate defined as being without it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies