Ukrainian presidential election, 31.03.2019
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:04:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Ukrainian presidential election, 31.03.2019
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who do you support for the Ukrainian Presidency?
Petro Poroshenko (BPP)

Yulia Tymoshenko (BA)

Anatoliy Hrytsenko (GP)

Yuri Boyko (OB)

Andrii Sadovyi (SP)

Oleg Lyashko (RP)

Vadim Rabynovych (ZZ)

Svyatoslav Vakarchuk (IND)

Vladimir Zelenski (SN)

Other (please specify)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: Ukrainian presidential election, 31.03.2019  (Read 3863 times)
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 13, 2018, 01:04:31 PM »

Whom You support?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 03:05:55 PM »

So a lot of the Ukrainian parliament are liberals and conservatives, is there a Labor party or movement? What do unions go for in this environment?
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 03:49:14 PM »

Serhiy Kaplin, or whichever candidate seeks to:

1. Combat fascist behavior perpetrated by Svoboda, Social Nationalists and the Civil Corps Azov.
2. Pledges to investigate the murders of the ten opposition figures in 2015.
3. Stand firmly against blind nationalism and for the rights of workers and unions across national boundaries.
JonHawk
JHawk
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 06:49:54 PM »

None of the above. Oleh Tyahnybok
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 06:59:14 PM »

Ms. Yulia isn’t running?
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 01:22:02 AM »

She declared her candidacy
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 11:52:12 AM »

Someone who represents the nationalist right, is committed to destroying the power of the oligarchs, and isn't bought and paid for.

... but this one is too extreme for me. Not going to support someone from Svoboda.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 12:06:02 PM »

I have been supporting Tymoshenko for more than a decade now.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 12:40:18 PM »

Poroshenko has like sub-Flanby level approvals atm iirc - will he even run again?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 05:11:16 AM »

Poroshenko has like sub-Flanby level approvals atm iirc - will he even run again?
No, almost definitely not.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 09:48:24 AM »

Not a big follower of Ukrainian politics but I can tell you, definitely not Poroshenko or anyone from his Bloc.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2018, 04:40:32 PM »

WI: Valentyn Nalyvaichenko
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2018, 06:37:34 PM »

none
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2018, 09:57:23 PM »

Kaplin.
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: 1.48

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2018, 10:41:27 AM »

#ImWithHer #ВонаПрацює #VoteTymoshenko
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2018, 09:02:43 AM »

We are now six months out from the Ukrainian presidential election, which will likely decide to what extent the country can achieve real and lasting reform going forwards. President Poroshenko's formerly strong lead has evaporated in the past months, with those being most likely to make it to the second round currently being Yulia Tymoshenko of Fatherland Party, Anatoliy Hrytsenko of Civic Position, and Yuri Boyko of Opposition Bloc. Barring a miracle, my preferred candidate (see sig) will almost certainly not even be relevant.

I typically characterize Tymoshenko as 'Ukraine's Hillary Clinton' to Americans, in that she, like Clinton, has been around forever, is quite polarizing, and has an air of corruption around her.

I don't know that much about Hrytsenko - his rise has been a relatively recent phenomenon. He was Minister of Defense under President Yushchenko, and has been accused of being responsible for the sad state of the Ukrainian army leading up to the Russian invasion.

Boyko was Minister of Energy under President Yanukovych, and his party is built off the ruins of Party of Regions after Yanukovych fled to Russia. I think he has almost no chance of actually winning, as most people I know would vote for literally anyone else if he makes it to the second round.

I am not eligible to vote, though my relatives are primarily Tymoshenko supporters, and of these three she is probably my first choice. I hope though that there is some other disruption between now and the election, as these are not inspiring choices for the future of Ukraine.

Two 'wild cards' which have the potential to shake things up a bit are Svyatoslav Vakarchuk and Vladimir Zelenski - respectively, a popular musician and an actor in a show in which an ordinary schoolteacher suddenly becomes President. They are both potentially within reach of making a runoff. While I am not in favor of political turnover for its own sake, Ukraine I think could use a leader who is not of the old oligarch class - which these three and Poroshenko essentially all are.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2018, 10:45:57 AM »

1)What party has the union and/or worker vote. How does the parties view the trade Unions
2)How do minorities such as LGBT, Jews, and Tatars vote for
3)How credible are corruption allegations against Tymoshenko
4)since fighting lost interest around 2016 in the US media, what’s happened on the eastern front. How does that translate to policy and campaigning
5) what issues are hot button in Ukraine right now
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2018, 09:15:49 PM »

So a lot of the Ukrainian parliament are liberals and conservatives, is there a Labor party or movement? What do unions go for in this environment?

'Labor' I would say is unfortunately caught up in Soviet nostalgia a bit - I would say the most left-wing party economically is OB. But I doubt it will be that important a political divide for this election.

Someone who represents the nationalist right, is committed to destroying the power of the oligarchs, and isn't bought and paid for.

... but this one is too extreme for me. Not going to support someone from Svoboda.

I guess you want Lyashko, so I suppose we can be happy you won't be voting.
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2018, 07:39:00 AM »

1)What party has the union and/or worker vote. How does the parties view the trade Unions
2)How do minorities such as LGBT, Jews, and Tatars vote for
4)since fighting lost interest around 2016 in the US media, what’s happened on the eastern front. How does that translate to policy and campaigning
5) what issues are hot button in Ukraine right now

1) Oligarch Akhmetov has great influence on unions, as his homeland - Donbass - is the most industrial region. So they would vote for OB/For Life. But workers from the west of the country would vote for pro-western parties, so geographical divide is more important.

2) Jews - for different parties, some are supporters of eastern parties (Rabinovich, the head of the For Life party, is the classical jewish man from Odessa). Tatars are living mostly in Crimea, they voted for pro-western parties like "Our Ukraine". Now their leaders are in Poroshenko party, but i doubt many tatars will vote.

3) As credible as allegations against any Ukrainian major politicians, so - highly credible.

4) Some local fightings happened every day. Now it is low-level conflict. Important question is transition of prisoners between Ukraine and Russia/separatists.

5) Wages, high-cost of living, corruption, immigration of ukrainian workers, IMF program, infrastructure, car accidents etc.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2018, 09:48:22 AM »
« Edited: August 05, 2018, 09:52:08 AM by DavidB. »

This is Ukraine. All politicians are corrupt. The question is only to which extent.

'Labor' I would say is unfortunately caught up in Soviet nostalgia a bit - I would say the most left-wing party economically is OB. But I doubt it will be that important a political divide for this election.

I guess you want Lyashko, so I suppose we can be happy you won't be voting.
Don't know much about him, so I'm interested: why would I prefer him?

Since this thread seems to be more about our opinion than about actual election discussion, and since Karpatsky opened a more fact-based thread, I requested to have this one moved to Individual Politics by one of the moderators.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2018, 03:01:20 PM »

Interesting thread, have a few more questions.

Tell me more about this Rinakhtov fellow, any info I get is kind of divided on the Ukraine sovereignty issue. Some sources, like what is indicated here says he is supporting the Russians, yet others show him fighting the separatists. I would like to know of wether Lyashko is bought by him, as he seems anti-Russia.

How is the IMF issue and Ukrainian migration viewed? Is there reforms underway? How w is the Ukrainian economy doing?

What parties and candidates are the least bought by oligarchs?
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2018, 04:30:14 PM »

I wonder if emigration to Poland (and further to other European countries) in any way influenced voting patterns in Ukraine. Do you think such phenomena can be observed somehow? I've met few Ukrainians in Poland and they were very negative towards how their homeland is doing now in terms of everything ranging from street cleanliness to corruption. On the other hand their perception of Poland was rather positive compared to Ukraine. Could this lead to some sort of contestantion (not massive though, rather among migrants) of participation in elections etc. in Ukraine? 
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2018, 03:05:13 AM »

Interesting thread, have a few more questions.

Tell me more about this Rinakhtov fellow, any info I get is kind of divided on the Ukraine sovereignty issue. Some sources, like what is indicated here says he is supporting the Russians, yet others show him fighting the separatists. I would like to know of wether Lyashko is bought by him, as he seems anti-Russia.

How is the IMF issue and Ukrainian migration viewed? Is there reforms underway? How w is the Ukrainian economy doing?

What parties and candidates are the least bought by oligarchs?

Akhmetov is doing what is good for him. At the start, he supported separatists to get concessions from new Kiev government. But situation went out of his control. Now he controls pro-Russian OB and pro-western Lyashko party. Both support laws which help Akhmetov business empire. Also Renat has good relations with Poroshenko.

Lyashko was very anti-Russian during last elections, but this time, as he tries to win some votes in East, he has changed his rhetoric to some degree.

Migration is viewed as bad thing (it definitely is), but noone knows what to do. IMF program is supported by governing coalition and Self-Reliance, other parties are against.
Now the most important question is, would be there more tranches from IMF to Ukraine? Last tranche was year ago, and IMF demands from Kiev raising of gas costings for population - Poroshenko promised such raising long time ago. But government doesn't want to do this, it would kill all political opportunities of Poroshenko, his party, Groysman and Popular Front.
Basically, if government doesn't raise costing in two months, IMF would close its program. After that, economists expect major economical crisis for Ukraine, maybe even default.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2018, 05:35:30 AM »

I have a Ukrainian friend who told me the Ukrainian government will often refuse to even issue passports to attractive young women for fear they will leave to become mail order brides/prostitutes.
kelestian
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2018, 06:58:23 AM »
« Edited: August 08, 2018, 09:42:41 AM by kelestian »

Opinion poll from "Rating Group"
All participants:

Timoshenko 11.1%
Gritsenko 6.7%
Boyko 6.4%