Legislation: Land Act of 1789 (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:41:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Legislation: Land Act of 1789 (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Legislation: Land Act of 1789 (Passed)  (Read 407 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 11, 2018, 10:09:21 PM »
« edited: July 16, 2018, 07:59:56 PM by Lumine »

Land Act of 1789

Be it resolved:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

From the Sponsor:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 01:16:35 AM »

Mr. Speaker,

It is vital to our nation's health that we do solve this debt crisis before it rages on, and for this reason, we must take action before our nation expands and our debt does so also. For this reason, I find the honorable gentleman from Kentucky's proposition sound, and do implore the Republican faction to vote in favor of this bill.

I yield the remainder of my time.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 01:55:31 AM »

Mr Speaker,

There needs not to be a debate about this. To myself, it seems fairly common sense. I ask that all members of this faction support the bill.

I yield.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 11:41:59 AM »
« Edited: July 12, 2018, 12:02:19 PM by Harry S Truman, GM »

Mr. Speaker,

The issue of the debt, raised by the gentleman from Kentucky, is of sufficient magnitude and seriousness to merit passage of this bill for that reason alone. I would advise a second reason, greater even than the first, that the Assembly of the Union should waste no time in opening these Western lands for settlement.

This country founded her claim to independence on the proposition that all men created equal. This noble principle, to which no honest man objects, is the corner-stone on which our federal Union and the constitutions of the several States are built. The survival of a free state depends on the existence of a free and independent citizenry; and there is no measure which this Assembly may adopt, which would do more to lift up the people and provide for them the means of securing their freedom and happiness, than the resolution now before us.

In England, where land is the birthright of a gluttonous nobility, and property the holding of a few ancient families, the common people live in a state of perpetual misery and disenfranchisement unknown on this continent. This abject poverty of means necessarily translates to a pernicious political poverty, for no man who is dependent upon another to put bread on his table and wine in his cup may exercise his rights as an independent and disinterested member of the polity while this state of dependency persists. It is the experience of all nations in the long course of history, that when the people are landed and independent, there is peace, liberty and prosperity; but where they are set off their lands, and reduced to poverty and disenfranchisement, peace collapses into war, liberty to tyranny, and prosperity to scarcity. History has shown that an impoverished people are more violent, more susceptible to demagogues and agitators, and more inclined to turn to tyrants for their protection; whereas a prosperous people are immune to these temptations, and able to suppress tyranny and ambitious despots where they arise. It was not the generalships of Caesar or Sulla which first shook the Roman Republic, but the general scarcity of land which was their ultimate undoing. Independency of means, therefore, translates to liberty and prosperity among the whole people; where landless dependency inevitably begets want, demagoguery, and dictatorship.

I see in the West a new country free of the pernicious influence of rank, class, and privilege, where men are judged on their own merits, and virtue is the currency of social life. I see in the West a country where any man may by the sweat of his brow and the labor of his own hands earn his freedom with honest work. On the banks of the Ohio we will build the ridge beam of our republic; and then let any man try to shake the frame of the Union, when it rests on the stout hearts of a free and independent people.

Gentlemen, the West is our salvation and the cradle of our future prosperity. I vote that the bill proposed by the gentleman from Kentucky be passed, and recommend it to my fellow Whigs for their approval.

I yield my time to the chair.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 12:27:02 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I am quite happy to see that the Gentleman from Kentucky has gone through with the idea to lower the national debt that the Patriots have supported since our founding, and I am most certainly in support of this measure, and urge my fellow Patriots and Deputies to support this Act.

I also wish to state my concurrence with the Gentleman from Boston.  This Act will allow our people to expand westward, into a vast new land with endless opportunity for prosperity for the citizens of this nation, and it has my strong support in that manner.  In addition, this legislation is allowing the fulfillment of Locke's ideals in allowing the right to property for all men of this nation. As such, we are establishing ourselves as a Republic built upon the natural rights of man, Life, Liberty, and Property. 

This legislation is not just in the interests of lowering the national debt, but in protecting one of the unalienable rights we fought for in our revolution, and I urge all Deputies to recognize this and support the legislation.

I yield.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 12:33:48 PM »

(A reminder, this goes to a vote tonight)
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 05:50:16 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I rise in support of this bill. As Mr. Hamilton stated, it is simply a commonsense solution to a pressing problem for our young republic.

I yield.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 07:59:34 PM »

Debate having been closed, the Speaker called for a vote on the Land Act:

National Assembly Vote:

Moving into the final vote, the result was 63 in favor, 2 abstentions.

Senate and President:

After a brief debate in the Senate the Land Act recieved an unanimously favorable vote, and was promptly signed into law by President Hancock.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies