Legislation: Reform of the Presidency Amendments, 1789 (Withdrawn)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:33:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Legislation: Reform of the Presidency Amendments, 1789 (Withdrawn)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Legislation: Reform of the Presidency Amendments, 1789 (Withdrawn)  (Read 324 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 09, 2018, 10:58:56 PM »
« edited: July 10, 2018, 10:46:12 AM by Lumine »

Reform of the Presidency Amendments, 1789

Be it resolved, the following Amendments to the Constitution of the United States:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

From the Sponsor:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 10:59:34 PM »

There will be 72 hours for debate, extendable to 96 at the request of the sponsor and further only by OOC requests by the players (with a credible reason).

As this is an Amendment to the Constitution it will require a simple Assembly majority like normal bills, but a two-thirds majority in the Senate and eventual ratification by the states (which I will simulate).
Galaxie

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 11:46:13 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

If in fact we force our Presidential candidates to run as non-partisans, how will they differentiate themselves in the campaign in any way other than a partisan one? Furthering this, what will prevent a candidate, once campaigning, to say "I am of X faction"?

While this Delegate understands the intent of this amendment, it seems that it will only be a bandage to the wound of partisanship.

I yield my time.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 11:52:58 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

It is rather obvious to me that this legislation is a blatant attack on the freedom of speech of individuals running for the position of President. In a free political sphere, candidates ought to be able to identify themselves as members of any party or faction, or members of none at all; if the public finds such posturing to be unappetizing and unbecoming, they are able to vote for other candidates. I do not see why we must codify this restriction on the political beliefs and freedom of speech of individuals in our Constitution.

If an individual chooses to stand as a candidate for President, he ought to be able to choose whether he identifies as a member of a faction or a member of none at all; the only issue that matters is that he makes the decision himself, not the government.

I yield.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 01:48:25 AM »

Mr Speaker,

I would like to offer a compromise amendment.

This Act is obviously meant to ensure that our Head of State is above partisan squabbles, but at the same time, forcing them to not associate with any faction or party would seemingly defeat the purpose of the Presidency.

Therefore, with this in mind, we propose that while it be mandated that all Presidential candidates stand as independents, they are free to associate themselves with any faction, and must declare whatever faction has chosen to support them.
Galaxie

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 10:33:50 AM »

Mr. Speaker,

With all due respect to the authors of this bill, it seems as if with the newly proposed amendment that this bill is truly destined to do little to quell the factional furor that has already arisen in our great nation.

This delegate believes that, if possible, this bill be jettisoned in favor of something more consequential and impactful for our young democracy. Being this nation's first true government, it is of the utmost importance that we not waste a second on acts that accomplish little in a time where much is needed -- say, debt reform, for instance.

I yield.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 10:43:31 AM »

Mr. Speaker,

Given the apparent opposition to the amendments, which seem to misunderstand that it's as just to attempt to heal the nation, I wish to withdraw the amendments from the floor at this time.

I yield.

(OOC:  Apologies for this just giving up, I just really don't have time to argue in favor of this at this time)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 10:45:46 AM »

The Amendment to the Constitution has been withdrawn.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies