The Crusader (Public Service Announcement) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:26:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Crusader (Public Service Announcement) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Crusader (Public Service Announcement)  (Read 26612 times)
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« on: June 21, 2021, 11:55:12 PM »

Things like these make me wish specific posts could be pinned.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 02:32:01 AM »

This is incredible. A home run of an article delivered by the best possible person to pull all of this together. Congratulations, Lumine.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2021, 12:08:25 AM »

We need an update on the defeat of Wulfric Tongue

Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 01:18:14 AM »

Satire never dies.

Unlike me, apparently.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2022, 11:59:59 PM »
« Edited: April 27, 2022, 12:09:55 AM by Lincoln Senator Joseph Cao »

That was never going to work, though. So why blow it out of proportion? This is a fake, made-up game. The people who play this game aren't going to tolerate that kind of action, period.

For the record, Sev, I believe you about being out of the loop especially with regard to whatever is going down on Discord as well as here. We could debate about the extent of proportionate response to something like this at least by people here on AFE, although this reaction seems pretty par for the course given the history of the game at large. And I appreciate that people like S019 have at least been trying to talk it out.

Sure, the powers that be are not going to tolerate it. But for a while this was done by the in-game powers that be. People are going to be debating the extent of in-game consequences for that, because the structural integrity of the political LARP game runs on LARP laws that others will still try to LARP-enforce on the players who break a particular LARP law or other. To that extent at least I think the uproar about impeachment, court cases and whatnot is basically consistent with whatever self-correcting mechanism we the players have to ensure the game is still playable.

Like yeah, chess is a fake made-up game too, but if some player starts moving their bishops along ranks/files and rooks along diagonals the chess club is going to be understandably displeased about their style of play, let alone if said player imitates the famous pigeon and starts knocking pieces and the board over.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2022, 12:36:22 PM »

That was never going to work, though. So why blow it out of proportion? This is a fake, made-up game. The people who play this game aren't going to tolerate that kind of action, period.

For the record, Sev, I believe you about being out of the loop especially with regard to whatever is going down on Discord as well as here. We could debate about the extent of proportionate response to something like this at least by people here on AFE, although this reaction seems pretty par for the course given the history of the game at large. And I appreciate that people like S019 have at least been trying to talk it out.

Sure, the powers that be are not going to tolerate it. But for a while this was done by the in-game powers that be. People are going to be debating the extent of in-game consequences for that, because the structural integrity of the political LARP game runs on LARP laws that others will still try to LARP-enforce on the players who break a particular LARP law or other. To that extent at least I think the uproar about impeachment, court cases and whatnot is basically consistent with whatever self-correcting mechanism we the players have to ensure the game is still playable.

Like yeah, chess is a fake made-up game too, but if some player starts moving their bishops along ranks/files and rooks along diagonals the chess club is going to be understandably displeased about their style of play, let alone if said player imitates the famous pigeon and starts knocking pieces and the board over.

My point was more so that in the case of a handful of bad actors, they still rely on the rest of the participants to adhere to that. I do not think most Atlasians would settle for that outcome even if such a scheme came to fruition in totality.

Of course; a recurring theme observed over the past several months seems to have been the bad actors in question not really caring about how other players would react, or for other players in general, which was part of what made it a bad plan in the first place.

That said from the point of view of those other players, there would be basically three realistic outcomes in the event this progressed as far as rigging the election: the other players successfully fight it, try unsuccessfully to fight it and all give up, or have a mass exodus potentially after either of these two.

- Option one is more or less the kind of "disproportionate" response I think you were referencing since it would eventually have had to involve mod powers being used.

- Option two basically turns the elections part of the elections and government simulator into a farce.

- Option three would be pretty close to if not outright death of the game, since if there was actually a mass exodus of everyone "against" them (which seems to have been pretty nearly everyone else) the victorious camp would maybe have a dozen active players at maximum, plus whoever from Pragcord wanted to join in the more """palatable""" version of the game that would be left. At the very least an acceleration of the game's death like Sestak said.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2022, 12:54:52 AM »

Has any player had a longer consecutive streak of holding a single office? Coming up empty at the moment.

Yankee’s stint in the pre-reset Senate is the next longest I can think of.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2023, 02:34:29 AM »

Secession made illegal!
Regions vote overwhelmingly to pass the Stop Our Secessionists Amendment,
Supreme Court, Game Engine shoot down traitorous fantasies,
Traitors in disarray, about to take the train to loserville

Hurrah! Though my 3am brain would like to know, is the I-FL Dereich or someone else?
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2023, 11:13:35 AM »

There are only two possible outcomes for a Cao election: narrow win or landslide loss!
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2023, 11:39:48 PM »

Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2024, 10:46:36 PM »

And phone calls is damn near stupefyingly pathetic,
FTFY!