Opinion of the Republican Party
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:19:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Opinion of the Republican Party
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Opinion of the Republican Party  (Read 4986 times)
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2018, 09:11:04 AM »

Basically Bond villains at this point.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2018, 09:11:19 AM »

My Bible Verse for a Democratic Party progressively more hostile to Christians:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

My Bible Verse for a Republican Party that creates greater income inequality by the day:

Here's the Bible Verse that should govern domestic policy.  Read carefully.

HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2018, 09:13:04 AM »

My Bible Verse for a Republican Party that creates greater income inequality by the day:

What about those of us who think the idea of God is morally reprehensible? Should the government be forcing us to live according to God's preferred domestic policies?

That sounds like theocracy, they have one of those in Iran you know.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2018, 09:16:42 AM »

My signature says it all.

The Republican Party is disgusting and needs to be replaced with a more sensible "conservative" party.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2018, 09:20:04 AM »

Don't like it much. It started under Goldwater.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2018, 09:34:51 AM »

Basically Bond villains at this point.

Heck, I'd rather have some of them than Trump.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2018, 09:35:54 AM »

courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2018, 10:25:46 AM »

As of right now it's negative, and only above my opinion of the Democrats simply because of the presence of people like John McCain, Jeb Bush, John Kasich, and others like them.

Trump and the alt-right are the worst thing to happen to the Republican party in my lifetime.
kasich is pretty hp
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2018, 10:32:59 AM »

What about those of us who think the idea of God is morally reprehensible? Should the government be forcing us to live according to God's preferred domestic policies?

Lots of people are all for Social Darwinism until they discover that they're not amongst "the fittest".  I'll bet you wake up one day and conclude that about yourself one day, when your circumstances are different than they are now.  On that day, your present philosophy of life will be less attractive to you.  I pray that on that day others will have more empathy for you than ou currently display for others.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2018, 10:41:46 AM »

The Republican Party is currently dead and has been taken over by Donald Trump.

I left it, and I'm never coming back.  Its membership and its voters are far removed from civil discourse, genuine patriotism, and rational thought.  The GOP died in 2016 by their embrace (even if it was at first unwilling) of Donald Trump.  No matter what they do from this point on, it will never be enough to win me back because I'll never forget how they caved in the face of fascism in America.

Any current Republican voter who detests Trump but has yet to leave the party should really rethink that decision.  Your party is gone and it won't be rebuilt in any recognizable form in your lifetime.  For you, there are limited options...either you cave as the rest of your party has to Trump, or you vote Democratic despite policy differences.  Third party won't cut it in this era because the stakes are now too high.  When fascism reigns supreme in the White House, your only patriotic option is to vote it out, even if that means voting Democratic.  We either move forward or we get steamrolled by our enemies Trump has allied himself, and by default our government, with.  Life is not often black and white, but when Trump is in the equation there is no gray; you can either vote Democratic and get your country back, or you vote for Trump (third party votes=a vote for Trump).
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2018, 11:35:08 AM »

Lots of people are all for Social Darwinism until they discover that they're not amongst "the fittest".  I'll bet you wake up one day and conclude that about yourself one day, when your circumstances are different than they are now.  On that day, your present philosophy of life will be less attractive to you.  I pray that on that day others will have more empathy for you than ou currently display for others.

I know I'm not the fittest, I'm weak and worthless, I probably deserve to die, and when I do I fully expect that when I die I'm going to spend an eternity burning in hell. The only reason I still consider myself worthy of life at all is because I haven't encountered an obstacle that's impossible to overcome yet.

However I, in my early 20s, am still 100 times the person either of my parents will EVER be. God is going to reward them for evil, I will be punished for being responsible. Interesting huh?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2018, 11:41:54 AM »

I left it, and I'm never coming back.  Its membership and its voters are far removed from civil discourse, genuine patriotism, and rational thought.  The GOP died in 2016 by their embrace (even if it was at first unwilling) of Donald Trump.  No matter what they do from this point on, it will never be enough to win me back because I'll never forget how they caved in the face of fascism in America.

Any current Republican voter who detests Trump but has yet to leave the party should really rethink that decision.  Your party is gone and it won't be rebuilt in any recognizable form in your lifetime.  For you, there are limited options...either you cave as the rest of your party has to Trump, or you vote Democratic despite policy differences.  Third party won't cut it in this era because the stakes are now too high.  When fascism reigns supreme in the White House, your only patriotic option is to vote it out, even if that means voting Democratic.  We either move forward or we get steamrolled by our enemies Trump has allied himself, and by default our government, with.  Life is not often black and white, but when Trump is in the equation there is no gray; you can either vote Democratic and get your country back, or you vote for Trump (third party votes=a vote for Trump).

Special K, you're normally a thoughtful poster, but your analysis of the GOP defies the facts.

Trump did nothing but appeal to the GOP as it was, and it was a party where large numbers of its constituency were folks that were for protectionism and reduction of illegal immigration.  But much of what you don't like about the GOP has been there since Ronald Reagan.

Fascism?  What about Dick Cheney's Closet Presidency?  What about the Patriot Act and the massive growth in public surveillance during the GWB years?  What about wars on false pretenses?  What about anti-labor legislation tied to national security legislation.

People object to Trump's style and his displacing Establishment figures, but the GOP itself isn't much different than it was in 2000.  If anything, it's a broader based party; future Presidential nominating contests aren't going to be all about "Who's the REAL conservative? anymore.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2018, 11:43:16 AM »

Special K, you're normally a thoughtful poster, but your analysis of the GOP defies the facts.

Trump did nothing but appeal to the GOP as it was, and it was a party where large numbers of its constituency were folks that were for protectionism and reduction of illegal immigration.  But much of what you don't like about the GOP has been there since Ronald Reagan.

Fascism?  What about Dick Cheney's Closet Presidency?  What about the Patriot Act and the massive growth in public surveillance during the GWB years?  What about wars on false pretenses?  What about anti-labor legislation tied to national security legislation.

People object to Trump's style and his displacing Establishment figures, but the GOP itself isn't much different than it was in 2000.  If anything, it's a broader based party; future Presidential nominating contests aren't going to be all about "Who's the REAL conservative? anymore.

they never really were
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2018, 11:44:04 AM »

There is no good figure in a position of power in the GOP. It is a horrible institution that is getting worse but has been getting worse for a long long time.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2018, 11:44:24 AM »

Overall pretty meh.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2018, 11:45:57 AM »

Lots of people are all for Social Darwinism until they discover that they're not amongst "the fittest".  I'll bet you wake up one day and conclude that about yourself one day, when your circumstances are different than they are now.  On that day, your present philosophy of life will be less attractive to you.  I pray that on that day others will have more empathy for you than ou currently display for others.

I know I'm not the fittest, I'm weak and worthless, I probably deserve to die, and when I do I fully expect that when I die I'm going to spend an eternity burning in hell. The only reason I still consider myself worthy of life at all is because I haven't encountered an obstacle that's impossible to overcome yet.

However I, in my early 20s, am still 100 times the person either of my parents will EVER be. God is going to reward them for evil, I will be punished for being responsible. Interesting huh?

I really hope you don't believe what you say you believe.  I really hope you're just being overly dramatic.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2018, 11:51:11 AM »

I really hope you don't believe what you say you believe.  I really hope you're just being overly dramatic.

I do believe it though. I've known since I was about 8 or 9 that I'm going to spend an eternity in hell. I really know that's where I'm going. Without a doubt.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2018, 12:11:37 PM »

Horrible Party. Increasingly authoritarian as Trump has completely taken over the party and pretty much put a cult of personality in place. Appeals to racists (including running actual Nazis and Neo-Confederate supporters) and bigots as part of its core base. Its economic policy, formerly defensible,  is now completely backwards with protectionism and tariffs. Serves corporate interests at the expense of the people. I could go on and on but they deserve to be relegated to minor far-right party status at this point.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2018, 12:51:40 PM »

My general rule of thumb is that if I cannot see Edmund Burke as a member of the Republican Party, than it is off track.

It is off track!

The Republicans have become a party of zealous radicals, dogmatic ideologues and thieves. Rationality, common sense, principles and values have been tossed to the wayside in the name of political expedience. This is a process that really began in the 1990's and has only accelerated to the point where we have state party's debasing the courts for partisan gain, become wholly dependent on gerrymandering, and have sacrificed the full faith and credit of the treasury so that special interests can be paid off monetarily.

I could hardly agree more. Its acceptance of radicals, dogmatists, and grifters  causes me to wonder where conservatives uncomfortable with such types can go. Any solutions to any pressing hardships will require rationality, erudition, empathy, and principle. It is hard to believe that at this point I consider Barack Obama far closer to the conservative ideal than is Donald Trump... but as I see it the next effective conservative President will behave more like Barack Obama than like Donald Trump.  

Those who believe in conservative values are getting burned. Liberals may believe that Trump will see his authority gutted in the 2018 midterm elections and that one of theirs will replace a failed President in 2020.  
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2018, 01:04:06 PM »

The American Taliban
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2018, 01:50:55 PM »

Both parties right now are controlled by their own version of PC Outrage Warriors

Republicans by Right Wing PC Outrage Warriors

Democrats by Left Wing PC Outrage Warriors

HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2018, 02:06:16 PM »

Both parties right now are controlled by their own version of PC Outrage Warriors

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2018, 02:10:39 PM »

JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2018, 03:00:17 PM »

It has decided to single-handedly adopt, embody, and implement the worst characteristics and qualities of the American character while wrapping itself in the American flag and waving the Cross. It has had its poor attributes ever since its conception (same as the Democratic Party), but it has increasingly concentrated all of America's worst qualities since the Southern Strategy was implemented.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2018, 03:14:38 PM »

Slightly higher than 2016, but only in the way toilet water slightly rises when a turd drops in.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies