Congress Hall (National Assembly Thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:07:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Congress Hall (National Assembly Thread) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Congress Hall (National Assembly Thread)  (Read 6311 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« on: July 02, 2018, 01:07:49 AM »

The National Assembly:

The new seat of Government, Congress Hall in Philadelphia is now the home of the first National Assembly to be seated on May 1st. This will be the main thread to introduce legislation, motions of no-confidence, votes of confidence, and for any Deputy to make a significant speech to the assembly which is not covered by a separate thread to discuss a given legislation. In detail, here is what takes place on this thread:

Vote of Confidence: To be undertaken right after any General Election, the new Government has to submit itself to the will of the Assembly and win a vote of confidence to enter office. Failure to win a Vote of Confidence will necessarily force the President to ask someone else to form a government.

Vote of No Confidence: This is the tool to remove a Government and force an immediate General Election. But be mindful, only the Leader of the Opposition can call for a Vote of No Confidence, which is then debated across 48 hours (time will be frozen across the rest of the game) and the vote is automatically simulated.

Speech: Should you wish to address the Assembly on an important subject not covered by legislation being debated, do so here. You can assume important speeches will be covered by NPC press, but you can post a larger speech here and then re-post smaller bits before the press as well.

Legislation: Every piece of legislation will have its own thread, so Congress Hall is only the place in which legislation is introduced so I can create a separate thread for it. There is no specific template for bills because I don't want to burden us all with too much detail, a bill can be as simple as a general statement and so please don't refrain from proposing bills even if they are brief. There are some limits as to how many you can present per turn:

Main Government Party: 5 bills per turn (max.)
Main Opposition Party: 2 bills per turn (max.)
Other Parties: 1 bill per turn (max.)

Debate will usually not take longer than 72-96 hours for voting to be simulated the automatically (ideally you will tell me how your faction will vote or announce it on the legislation thread, otherwise I'll have to ask you or simulate your vote as an abstention).
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 10:38:22 PM »

Vote of Confidence, May of 1789:

Be it resolved:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Debate will last 48 hours, allowing players to make their points as to why the Government should or shouldn't have the confidence of the House. After that a simulated vote will be held automatically, so factions must inform me of how they plan to vote.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 10:51:27 PM »

With time allocated for debate having ended, the Speaker closes the debate and calls for a vote.

As to the motion of confidence:

AYE: 32 votes
NAY: 23 votes
ABSTAIN: 10 votes

The Ayes have it! This National Assembly hereby declares its confidence in the Government of the First Secretary.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 01:07:09 PM »

National Military Act of 1791

Be it resolved,

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Mr Speaker, I believe that with the recent attacks by the Indian menace against our countrymen that this legislature must reconsider this legislation.  While I do recognize the concerns of my colleagues in the Senate on the amended legislation, which restricts the proposed military from being a large force during peacetime, there are a number of reasons why a large military would be dangerous to this nation. 

First, as the Gentlenan from Boston pointed out in this legislation's original debate, a large standing army has, in republics throughout history, been an enemy of liberty and has led to the destruction of Liberty by ambitious generals.  Secondly, there is the fiscal concerns of a large standing army, as this nation has just begun to produce a revenue in it's budget, a massive increase in spending would be dangerous to our economy.  The establishment of a large standing army would require either subjecting our nation to a large increase in its deficit and already enormous debt, or subjecting it to further taxation. 

Finding neither of these outcomes satisfactory, I choose to reintroduce this legislation in the interests of providing our nation and its people a standing army capable of purging the Indian menace from it's territory while keeping this nation's budget stable. 

I yield the remainder of my time.

(OOC: Legislation reintroduced by the Deputy from Wilkes.)

The Speaker:

Denied. The Patriot faction has already introduced the maximum amount of legislation allocated for them this year.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies