Congress Hall (National Assembly Thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:40:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Congress Hall (National Assembly Thread) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Congress Hall (National Assembly Thread)  (Read 6302 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« on: July 03, 2018, 08:26:20 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

After a divisive election, far more vicious than I believe even the most cynical of observers could have predicted, it is imperative that we move beyond the histrionics of electoral politics in order to take up the sacred duty with which the public has entrusted us: the governance of these United States. I am proud to stand in support of First Secretary Madison in forming the first government of this country.

It is, admittedly, unfortunate that we could not produce a coalition that can command an absolute majority in this chamber — but that is to be expected. We are a large nation, home to a multitude of competing interests, and that reality was reflected both in the results of the election and in the negotiations afterwards. Forming a coalition has been rife with difficulties. The gentleman from Pennsylvania, for instance, offered his support only on the condition that we sacrifice some portion of the self-governance we fought so hard to achieve — to remove the power from the people of newly formed states, to regulate institutions within their borders, and instead offer that power to the central government. While Pennsylvanians would retain the right to make such decisions, my colleague from Pennsylvania sought to strip that right from Kentuckians, a concession I found unacceptable both in my role as a faction leader and as the duly elected member for Kentucky.

My colleague the gentleman from Suffolk raises some concern about our ability to pass legislation, but I have little worry about this government’s ability to enact policy. Our commitment to individual liberties, to sound fiscal policy, and to the freedom of commerce are principles that I believe command broad support, both in this Assembly and across the several states. That a substantial minority government could be assembled is itself an accomplishment, the result of extensive negotiations that have rendered this coalition prepared to present detailed and comprehensive policy to this Assembly and the public at large.

As a result, I urge every member of the Western faction to support our first national government, and I yield back the balance of my time.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 09:24:05 AM »

Land Act of 1789

Be it resolved:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Mr. Speaker,

This act is intended to alter the system by which public lands are currently sold under the Land Ordinance of 1785. It is essential to raise revenues to fund the functions of government and pay down the national debt. This legislation would accelerate the sale of such lands through the establishment of a system of credit and a significant reduction in the minimum size of each grant. This legislation is that of the Western faction for this year.

I yield.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 10:10:50 AM »

Mr. Speaker,

I rise today to discuss the matter of the admission of new states into the Union. The Western faction ran on an explicit promise of statehood in Kentucky, Franklin, and the areas that would form Westsylvania -- we believe that our victories in all those elections represent a clear popular desire for statehood, and will act to the fullest extent to guarantee the admission of these new states in our Congress.

I thank the deputy for Augusta for his support for Kentucky's statehood, and would like to gently correct his characterization of the economy of Westsylvania. The country of western Virginia is rugged and mountainous, and the farms that exist between the mountains are small, often worked by only a single man and his family. While they are legally permitted to become slaveholders, the institution is extremely rare, a fact that I do not expect to change given the conditions of the land. Should the state be admitted to the Union, I believe the people of the state should determine through their own democratic methods whether slavery is permissible, but I do not foresee significant strife arising out of whatever decision they may make.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 10:13:10 PM »

Mr. Speaker, it is my great honor as the deputy for Kentucky to introduce the legislation that will allow Kentucky to take her rightful place as an equal in our Union of States.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 10:39:54 AM »
« Edited: July 26, 2018, 10:49:20 AM by sjoyce »

Mr. Speaker,
I am proud to introduce legislation to recognize the new State of Cumberland, as well as to resolve the present dispute over the state's borders.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 12:41:58 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

While acknowledging the deputy's concerns, I would note the simultaneous consideration of the admission of the State of Cumberland in this legislative session, which I believe should maintain the current balance in the Senate.

I yield.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies