Congress Hall (National Assembly Thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:47:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Congress Hall (National Assembly Thread) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Congress Hall (National Assembly Thread)  (Read 6286 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« on: July 03, 2018, 09:19:36 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

After a divisive election, far more vicious than I believe even the most cynical of observers could have predicted, it is imperative that we move beyond the histrionics of electoral politics in order to take up the sacred duty with which the public has entrusted us: the governance of these United States. I am proud to stand in support of First Secretary Madison in forming the first government of this country.

It is, admittedly, unfortunate that we could not produce a coalition that can command an absolute majority in this chamber — but that is to be expected. We are a large nation, home to a multitude of competing interests, and that reality was reflected both in the results of the election and in the negotiations afterwards. Forming a coalition has been rife with difficulties. The gentleman from Pennsylvania, for instance, offered his support only on the condition that we sacrifice some portion of the self-governance we fought so hard to achieve — to remove the power from the people of newly formed states, to regulate institutions within their borders, and instead offer that power to the central government. While Pennsylvanians would retain the right to make such decisions, my colleague from Pennsylvania sought to strip that right from Kentuckians, a concession I found unacceptable both in my role as a faction leader and as the duly elected member for Kentucky.

My colleague the gentleman from Suffolk raises some concern about our ability to pass legislation, but I have little worry about this government’s ability to enact policy. Our commitment to individual liberties, to sound fiscal policy, and to the freedom of commerce are principles that I believe command broad support, both in this Assembly and across the several states. That a substantial minority government could be assembled is itself an accomplishment, the result of extensive negotiations that have rendered this coalition prepared to present detailed and comprehensive policy to this Assembly and the public at large.

As a result, I urge every member of the Western faction to support our first national government, and I yield back the balance of my time.
Here here!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 08:54:53 PM »

Mr. Speaker;

I rise in support of my colleagues. The rights of man cannot remain tethered to the whims of an institution that by nature is malleable to the will of those whom wish to squash the values of which we fought for. In adopting these declarations of the Rights of Men to our constitution, we are enshrining the principles for which many sacrificed, many paying the greatest price in order to obtain the treasure of freedom and liberty. It would be no less than an affront to the memory of our fallen compatriots should we shirk the duties to defend our revolution at this time. I urge this assembly to adopt the Articles.

I yield the remainder of my time, Mr. Speaker.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 12:30:28 PM »

Mr. Speaker;

I rise in opposition to the proposed legislation in regards to the status of Maine. Though I hold no doubt that there are legitimate arguments in favor of statehood, I fear that adding yet another state to the union will throw off the delicate balancing act we have all collectively played, as the prospect of two abolitionists from the far-north representing only a small smattering of people could result in the over representation of those whom look down upon the Virginians way of life with great acrimony.

I yield.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies