Congress Hall (National Assembly Thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:36:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Congress Hall (National Assembly Thread) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Congress Hall (National Assembly Thread)  (Read 6313 times)
Boobs
HCP
« on: July 02, 2018, 11:45:37 PM »
« edited: July 02, 2018, 11:57:35 PM by HCP »

Mr. Speaker, I rise to a point of opposition to this motion of confidence, for neither I nor the Radical faction have any confidence in the gentleman from Virginia in acting as First Secretary or in a politician of our great Republic.

For we were initially willing and ready to join the gentleman from Virginia’s coalition, to grant him a true majority that represented a regional and ideological variety in this nation's first Government. Whereupon the young gentleman from Virginia had, in the span of a few hours, gone from being completely supportive of such action to one in complete opposition, but not because of legitimate disagreeances in policy or character, but rather because of political worries. Specifically, the gentleman from Virginia had stated his fear that, upon entering into a coalition with the Radicals, his party would lose its seats in the South at the next election. I say, shame upon you, young gentleman from Virginia, for putting your own political ambitions above the health of our young Republic. Gentlemen, how can we allow a man who places the political prospects of future elections above the needs of our nation become First Secretary? The gentleman from Virginia is showing early signs of tyrannical behavior, a behavior which seeks to cling to power above all else. I say, Deputies, truly, what is the point of a Republic if we allow such a power-hungry man to seize the highest place of power in our land? How are we any better than the tyrannical monarchies of Europe, the very monarchies we had shed blood to escape?

And, may I say, that aside from his voracious desire for power, that the gentleman from Virginia has effectively doomed our young Republic by establishing the precedent of a tyranny by the minority. He has spat on the face of Liberty and Democracy, by forging secretive back-room deals with the Patriots, whom I will address later. A government formed by tricks of parliamentary procedure is hardly more legitimate than the oppressive monarchy we had fought to reject, and I hope that the rest of this House recognize that as well. The gentleman is the Great Charlatan of Virginia, and he ought to stop hiding behind song and dance, and acquire the brazen boldness of a man, and finally show, in the open, the very act he is attempting to accomplish: to tear up the Constitution and crown himself King.

Now to address my remarkable colleagues from the South, the Patriots, if they can even be called that, who have sacrificed all principles on government that they hold so that their friend from Virginia can become Tyrant. A faction which elected to not participate in the orders of government surely ought not last long at all, and I hope such fate befalls this dastardly alliance. You are acting as mere tools of tyranny yet are not cognizant enough to recognize such. I would wish that at the next election, your Deputies would be obliterated by a flurry of votes for the opposition, if only it were not the vile Democratic-Republicans, who would much better carry the name of Tyrannical-Monarchists, who would stand the most to benefit.

Deputies, this election had created the opportunity for a government to be formed by a broad consensus of the population. Instead, we are staring a minority government in the face, a dangerous precedent which will flies against the principles of consent by the majority. The gentleman from Virginia, rather than taking a strong stand to unite the nation, is instead cementing the divisions present in our Republic. He claims that a minority government would be for the defense of democracy, yet it goes completely against our shared belief that the majority ought to rule. He makes bold claims that Americans are tired of politics, yet, like the deceitful serpent of Eden, is merely reinforcing those political quarrels to damn our Republic's future.

I should hope that every man standing in this chamber will realize the sheer hypocrisy, tyranny, and damnation that shall befall our nation should this minority government be formed in success. I say that, if the gentleman from Virginia shall become First Secretary, our Republic was doomed to fail, and that those here that claim to stand for democracy are not republicans at all, but rather deceitful Monarchists seeking to end our great experiment within a year of its inception.

I yield the remainder of my time, and I fear that our Republic's time, too, will be cut short.
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 09:40:12 PM »

Compromise Bill of 1790

Be it resolved:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Mr. Speaker,
The issue of slavery has come to a point where it may tear our young Republic in twain. It is vital that this Chamber bring about a compromise, of which I have drafted with my Colleague from Savannah, which shall assuage the fears of both the planter gentry and of the residents of the Northern states of our Union. I believe that the unity of our Republic is vital to the continual protection of the rights of all men, and that a collapse of our union would leave individual states vulnerable to tyranny and agitation from the likes of monarchies such as England and Spain. However, we must also take steps to limit the importation of enslaved persons onto our shores, and such a move of levying tax on purchases of them would encourage plantation owners to consider free labour in its stead.

I hope we can all come together for the sake of our young Republic and avoid a dreadful disunion which will doom our great experiment.

I yield.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies