Congress Hall (National Assembly Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:47:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Congress Hall (National Assembly Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Congress Hall (National Assembly Thread)  (Read 6073 times)
Galaxie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2018, 09:22:23 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

It is with great honour that I, Gouverneur Morris, shall take the reigns of the Hamiltonian Faction in the halls of our Congress.

It has been a pleasure to have served under both General Hamilton himself, and the Honourable Charles Pinckney. May our leadership be as strong as their will and their tact.

To the men of my Faction: I stand with you. As long we stand united in this Congress, and across these United States, our Faction shall be a mighty one.

To the leaders and honourable men of our Congress' many other factions, I extend an open hand. I am eager to work alongside you for the good of this Nation, and to fiercely debate any law that shall come before it.

I yield.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2018, 10:02:13 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Mr. Speaker,

Maine is a largely independent area. They are a wild and rugged bunch, making a living on their own and in a very specific manner. They are not even in physical contact with the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, the Governor and Legislature of which claim jurisdiction over it. Why? What sense does it make? None.

I yield.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2018, 12:30:28 PM »

Mr. Speaker;

I rise in opposition to the proposed legislation in regards to the status of Maine. Though I hold no doubt that there are legitimate arguments in favor of statehood, I fear that adding yet another state to the union will throw off the delicate balancing act we have all collectively played, as the prospect of two abolitionists from the far-north representing only a small smattering of people could result in the over representation of those whom look down upon the Virginians way of life with great acrimony.

I yield.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2018, 12:41:58 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

While acknowledging the deputy's concerns, I would note the simultaneous consideration of the admission of the State of Cumberland in this legislative session, which I believe should maintain the current balance in the Senate.

I yield.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2018, 01:08:37 AM »

Statehood Amendment (22nd Amendment*)

Be it resolved, the following Amendment to the Constitution of the United States after ratification of the States and a Referendum of the People,

*OOC: I'm 99.999% sure it's the 22nd

Mr. Speaker,

It is apparent we need to codify completely the process that a state shall enter existence in this Union after Westsylvania and Cumberland. With our nation ever expanding to the North and West, it is even more apparent we must codify this amendment as soon as possible, before another crisis shall break out that may break our Union. This act is intended to prevent such a crisis as Westsylvania from arising yet again.

I yield.
Galaxie

« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2018, 03:36:30 PM »

The National Bank Act, 1791

Be it resolved,

Gentlemen, creating a National Mint and Coinage is simply the first step to economic security. For this nation to manage its economy at a federal level, truly ease the burden of our war debts, and create a true flow of capital and wealth across our lands, we are in need of a Nation Bank. By creating a currency of bills and notes, allowing for subscription to our shares at a six percent interest rate, and by having both private and public oversight, this bank is truly an instrument needed to guide us towards prosperity. The plan may be ambitious, but a bold plan is needed to truly grapple with our nation's debt woes once and for all.

I yield.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2018, 06:29:09 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I have taken the floor to address the Assembly and this country on the state of our Union. Right now, it seems in almost every state there is some sort of secessionist movement or uprising brewing. Let it be known: yes, we are a collection of individual states, which have their own distinct histories and cultures. But more importantly, let it be known: Union comes before States in our title for a reason. We are a collection of states, but we are also more. We are, first and foremost, a united entity, a united country with a common goal under one government. We are one nation under God. So yes, I do sympathize with each individual secessionist effort and the opposition to those efforts. But I cannot come to terms as to these groups taking up arms, brother against brother, in a war of fire against each other. We are all Americans, and I cannot agree with any group which claims to liberate their peoples by incredible force from the oppression - of what? A state government? Hardly an entity to die for, to lay your lives down for! But yet, I also cannot agree with state governments which seek to dispel these movements by jailing their leaders and their comrades. What are you afraid of? Of freedom, liberty, and the values we stood for in the battles against the British? I cannot agree with either of these groups. We are sitting for a test, a great and important test for the whole world to see. Will this Grand Experiment function? Or will we fall to pieces when our individual identities take precedence over our common goal? We cannot allow such a fate. So yes, secession is fine, disagreement is acceptable. But when brother takes up arms against brother, and lives are lost? This shall be no more. America, we must stand as one. We must end the unnecessary hostilities, or our country, our society, our very way of life may crumble. America, everything is at stake in this test. It is now your choice to determine if we pass it.

I yield the remainder of my time.
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2018, 06:51:41 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

With the passing of the act to move south, I have done what I came here to do because I have allowed the south to be more represented and preserved slavery in the south. I believe I have done the most I can in the national assembly and that is why I must resign my position as deputy from Augusta. I have already submitted my letter of resignation so this will be my last speech to the national assembly

I yield

A Letter to the First Secretary

Mr. Madison,

I have served my country in the military and then in the national assembly. It has been my great privilege to serve this country and watch the birth of the first Republic in the world. Still, I believe I have done all I can in the national assembly and that I can do more as Governor of Georgia. This is why I started running for Governor and the reason I must resign from the national assembly.

I officially resign from the national assembly at the end of the national assembly session.

X James Gunn
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2018, 09:37:38 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I would like to take this pause in debate to address a matter of recent importance: the assumption of Pennsylvania's state debt. Unfortunately, especially in a time such as this, it appears there are liars on both sides of the aisle in the wake of this resolution. On our left, with the Hamiltonians, a claim of most untruth has been levied: that we have shown favoritism to the Pennsylvanian government. This is completely and entirely false. We did not show favoritism, instead, we were finding a solution to a most extraordinary problem. If other states feel left out, I call on them: do, start a rebellion. Wage war against your brethren until your cities are burned to the ground. Ensure the almost complete destruction of our Union.

On my right, with the Patriots, they also levy the claims as stated before, but with an additional untruth: that these will cause an undue burden to the taxpayer and the national debt. Yet again, this is entirely false. The government, instead of yielding to the taxpayer, will instead create new sources of revenue, as we already have before, and prevent the growth of the national debt further by funding our expenditures.

And, I call furthermore on these who so boldly criticize this resolution without further substance. Come forward, and do instead of causing further strife, help our nation, by providing a solution of your own. If you believe that this resolution was not the best for our nation -- prove it. I can tell you that, most likely, you will not.

I yield.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2018, 04:26:15 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I wish to address the statements of the First Secretary on his Pennsylvania deal.  Mr. Secretary, I ask of you this question, do you not know what legislation this Assembly has passed this session?  Of particular interest in this current debate would be the following Acts, The Capital Relocation Act of 1791, The National Military Act of 1791, and The National Coinage Act of 1791.  These three acts alone will create a considerable increase in this Government's expenditure, the latter being the most unnecessary and as such received mine and my Faction's opposition, though sadly was passed on the votes of your government.  Now, it is in addition to these Acts that your government has chosen to increase the expenditure even further through the construction of a massive canal in Pennsylvania, a project that should be paid for by a state's government but I digress, as well as create an increase of some 3 million dollars in our national debt through the assumption of Pennsylvania's debts. 

I ask of you Mr. Secretary, First, how is it that the Government expects to pay for all these increases in expenditure without an increase in taxes?  Do you seriously expect our revenue to increase to pay for a National Military, a new capital city, a National mint, and now a massive canal and another 3 million dollars in debt without harming the taxpayer?  If so, you must certainly be in a whimsical world where gold is grown upon the trees, but back within our reality it is a simple fact that these increases will send this nation spiraling either into further taxation or debt.

In addition to this massive oversight on our budget, your government has decided to take it upon themselves to pay the debts of the tyrant Radicals of Pennsylvania, thus freeing them of their own faults and instead placing the burden of paying off this debt upon the taxpayers within responsible and debt free states, such as your home state of Virginia.  This deal is not only a betrayal of your own state, which will along with the rest of this nation most certainly be subjected to an increase in the burden of taxation, but a betrayal of the principles of state's rights as well! 

On two points your government has betrayed state's rights, the first being the construction of the Harrisburg-Philadelphia canal.  Your government has chosen to undertake a project that will enrich primarily the state of Pennsylvania, not only a clear act of favoritism but also taking internal improvements within states, which should occur at the state level, and adding it as a power of the National Government.  What now is to stop a future government, primarily from one region, to spend their term in government enriching their own region through internal improvement projects, while levying taxes upon another to finance them? 

On the second point, you have granted a state massive federal aid, infringing upon the principles of self-government.  The principles of self-government do not state that a local government, such as a state, should receive federal aid whenever they are in difficulty, for that is merely taking away the ability of a state to learn from their own problems and to grow in their ability to govern themselves, yet you have done just that.  Is it your wish, Mr. Secretary, that the governments of states grow reliant upon federal intervention in times when they experience the slightest of difficulties?  For that is what this action appears to imply.

Mr. Secretary, you have sadly chosen a path of falsehoods and betrayal of the principles which your faction claims to stand for, and have thus abandoned the south and all those who support the rights of states.  The Patriots however, will not abandon our principles in times of difficulty, and will stand as a firm check upon expansion of federal power and unfunded expenditure, as well as a faction firmly dedicated to self-government and the rights of states.  May our nation survive this great betrayal, and let the factions who hold your government together, the Western and Whig factions, find their principles and join us in opposition of your actions.

I yield the remainder of my time, though the Patriots shall never yield our principles.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2018, 07:45:14 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

After a long period of my absence, I am proud to return to this National Assembly and lead the Patriot Party, through the remainder of this Government's term at the least.  There appears to be much to discuss on our nation, and I will address the current events of this nation in this speech.

First, I feel it relevant to discuss the madness of one William Blount.  When we welcomed Mr. Blount into our Party, we did not expect for him to go on a bout of madness during his campaign, and as soon as we heard of his insane ideas we immediately moved to expel him from our Party and replaced him as our candidate.  In no uncertain terms is William Blount a man who has lost his mind to some alternative world where his ludicrous ideas are accepted, and I must state that he does not represent for a second what the Patriots stand for.  I pray that Mr. Blount will never rear his head into our Nation's politics again, but if he should the Patriot Party will stand wholly against his madness.

Second, it appears that the words of my colleague John Milledge have rung true, as the spending approved in the previous year, as well as The First Secretary's "Deal" have sent this nation once again into a deficit.  While a significant portion of the spending is necessary, such as military spending for the Indian War and the construction of our new capital, the assumption of Pennsylvania's debt is most certainly not necessary.  As such, I will propose returning the assumed debt back to Pennsylvania, lest we fall into a pattern of aiding state governments at any time they are in difficulty and doom our nation to large increases in taxation to pay for said aid.  I believe that in regards to overall spending that we can trust in "Mad Anthony" Wayne to deal with the Indian threat as soon as is militarily feasible and will hopefully allow our nation to return to a deficit-free budget without further taxation being required.

Third, in regards to the war in Europe between France and the Austro-Prussian coalition, I believe there is no reason for the United States to involve ourselves in the war, and that we should maintain a strict neutrality in order to avoid damaging any current trade relationships we have.  However, I do believe that our new navy should begin guarding our merchant ships to stave off any possible attacks from foreign powers or pirates.  Our merchants should not have to trade in fear of possible attack, and as a neutral power it is our right to trade with all nations who wish to trade with us.

In finality, it is truly a privilege to return to this Assembly, and I thank the people of Baltimore for their hospitality for the duration of our Government's stay within their fine city.

I yield the remainder of my time, and may God Bless our United States with Freedom, Liberty, and Prosperity.

(James Jackson speaking as he can return now Tongue)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2018, 11:33:58 PM »

Financial Acts, 1792

Be it resolved:

Mr. Speaker,

These measures are brought in answer to what may be with justice, and is in many quarters, called the most perilous question of our age: that of the federal debt, and the future financial stability of these States. They form their answer in three parts: first, the establishment of a federal Treasury independent of the influence of speculators and foreign interests; second, the opening of trade with the kingdoms of Denmark and Portugal, in accordance with commercial agreements formed with those countries; third, a reasonable tax on imported and domestic liquors. The first and second provisos serve to establish on solid ground the faith and credit of the United States; the second and third to increase the sum of revenue by which the debt may be paid down. Regardless of party, all who admit the necessity of a sound financial policy must approve these sensible and moderate measures, as so we ask this honorable house.

I yield my time to the chair.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies