Congress Hall (National Assembly Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:46:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Congress Hall (National Assembly Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Congress Hall (National Assembly Thread)  (Read 6079 times)
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2018, 08:24:46 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I am opposed to the proposal from the Gentleman from Lexington. I believe that any state being admitted to the Union must be a non-slave, free state. Slavery is abhorrent, a great moral wrong which no self-respecting person can claim to support while also preaching on the American qualities of patriotism, liberty, and freedom. We must limit slavery to the states where it is currently, regrettably, practiced and begin the process of removing it from those states in due course. This is the only good, Christian path forward on this issue.

I yield.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2018, 09:25:31 PM »

Mr Speaker,

Our opposition to the Atlantic slave trade is non-negotiable, and we do seek its aboliton. However, we do not seek to end slave trade between the states of this union.  This is our position, as banning internal slave trading would be fundamentally anti-democratic. We merely seek the end of the Atlantic slave trade.
Boobs
HCP

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2018, 09:40:12 PM »

Compromise Bill of 1790

Be it resolved:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Mr. Speaker,
The issue of slavery has come to a point where it may tear our young Republic in twain. It is vital that this Chamber bring about a compromise, of which I have drafted with my Colleague from Savannah, which shall assuage the fears of both the planter gentry and of the residents of the Northern states of our Union. I believe that the unity of our Republic is vital to the continual protection of the rights of all men, and that a collapse of our union would leave individual states vulnerable to tyranny and agitation from the likes of monarchies such as England and Spain. However, we must also take steps to limit the importation of enslaved persons onto our shores, and such a move of levying tax on purchases of them would encourage plantation owners to consider free labour in its stead.

I hope we can all come together for the sake of our young Republic and avoid a dreadful disunion which will doom our great experiment.

I yield.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2018, 06:16:02 PM »

Tariff Act, 1789

Be it resolved,

Mr. Speaker,

This bill is entered on behalf of the government for to establish a reliable source of revenue for the United States in light of the significant debt left to us by the Confederation. It is the purpose of the government to forgo onerous taxes and duties upon the people of these States; however, without revenue we will be unable to keep our obligations to our creditors, our credit will be ruined, and we will have no prospect of trade with  Europe upon which the economies of both our Northern and Southern States depend. We therefore recommend this legislation to the house, to establish a moderate tariff for the purposes of revenue alone, in order to promote the financial solvency of the United States.

I yield my time to the chair.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2018, 08:20:25 PM »
« Edited: July 16, 2018, 02:58:03 AM by GoTfan »

National Military Act of 1790

Be it resolved,

Mr Speaker, our young nation is in need of a strong national defence. There are elements of various European powers would see us be brought under their thumb, and a strong defence will be needed to dissuade them from attempting to do so.

I served in the Continental Army during the Revolution, and I am certain many of us in this Assembly know of someone who served, or indeed themselves served, in either the Continental Army or Navy during said war. A national military with a unified command structure is required to ensure our nation's safety in the world.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2018, 10:13:10 PM »

Mr. Speaker, it is my great honor as the deputy for Kentucky to introduce the legislation that will allow Kentucky to take her rightful place as an equal in our Union of States.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2018, 11:07:07 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I present the following bill, to serve as the legislation of the Tory Faction for this meeting of the National Assembly:

Mr. Speaker, I believe that a strong and empowered Senate is well within the image of this new government that we set out to create. This bill aims to be the first in what will hopefully be a series of bills to improve and embolden the Senate as the ultimate check on the whims and desires of some of the more radical members of this body.

I yield.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2018, 02:31:34 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

Today I wish to speak on a matter which has enflamed our country in recent days, the imprisonment of the staff of the Western Herald and James Wilkinson in Pennsylvania.  These arrests are based on a Pennsylvania law, calling any speech in support of secession from the state "Treason."  However, I submit that, as Mr. Wilkinson stated before he was arrested, that this law is in violation of the Laws of Pennsylvania and the Natural Rights of Man.  This law violates the rights of Freedom of Speech, the Press, and Assembly, and should be struck immediately from Pennsylvania's statute as such, should the Government of Pennsylvania wish to move away from the tyranny they've subjected the people of Westsylvania. 

I also wish to address the attacks upon this legislature by one Silence Dogood, claiming that Deputies are trampling the rights of states by opposing Pennsylvania's enforcement of this law.  Mr. Dogood, I believe you fail to understand two crucial points. 

First, that this law is firmly in violation of the Pennsylvania Constitution and the Natural Rights of Man, and if it were not for the timing of it's enforcement, said law would be Federally unconstitutional, under the Declaration of Rights Amendments.  As such, Deputies within this Legislature and all those who oppose Pennsylvania's law, are firmly within their rights to oppose this Statute, and push for it's immediate repeal.

Second, he speaks of Westsylvania's armed rebellion against Pennsylvania's tyrannical approach to the Rights of Man as something the Federal Government should step in and oppose.  Mr. Dogood, this proposed action would again be in violation of the Rights of Man, as when men are subjected to a government which has trampled upon the Rights of Man, as the Government of Pennsylvania has, have the right to overthrow said government and establish a new one, respectful of their rights.  That is the goal of the Westsylvanian Militias, to establish a government that will no longer trample upon their rights and interests.  As such, The people of Westsylvania have my full and complete support in their efforts to establish themselves as a separate State, and I implore all citizens within the proposed state of Westsylvania to rise up, and make your voices heard!  Stand as one people and strike down the tyrannical government of Pennsylvania in your pursuit of Freedom!

I yield, but may the people of Westsylvania never yield!
Galaxie

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2018, 03:28:15 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2018, 03:38:18 PM by Galaxie »

Mr. Speaker,

I come to this hall fresh from a duel that manifested from attempts to paint me as a monarch -- a man who felt himself above the law.

Today, from my very opponents, namely Secretary Madison and his Government, we have seen a monarch-to-be reveal his true face.

If these accusations ring true, Mr. Madison has attempted to grant legal immunity for himself and his government. These, gentlemen, are the first steps to tyranny through putting himself and his cronies into positions above the law.

The greatest irony is that these men of a supposed "small government" are now accused of attempting to rise above it. Of course, it makes sense -- if the government is small, it is easier for them to trample upon.

I implore Mr. Madison to respond to these criticisms immediately, to elucidate the American people as to whether these damning accusations have even a grain of truth to them.

If they do, we must stand against Mr. Madison and the separatists in the West of Pennsylvania. While I support a diplomatic way to statehood, Madison's alleged treason can never be tolerated.

I yield.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2018, 04:11:36 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

As you may have heard in my statement to the press, these accusations of a tyrannical nature that I possess are completely and entirely untrue and a baseless attack on my character. While these sentiments remain untrue, we do live in these United States, a bastion of civil freedom, and I do believe that this press does have the right to print these, no matter the nature of this false news.

Additionally, with my Secretary, Mr. Wilkinson, being imprisoned, I cannot stress enough that my request for his release only remained so he could engage in these negotiations, nothing more. And while it is the position of this government that he is being held illegally, we welcome him to stand his trial as we believe in the integrity of the law and the ability of the Pennsylvania courts to be able to interpret their Constitution.

I yield the remainder of my time.
Galaxie

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2018, 05:29:26 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I, along with the Honourable Robert Morris and Honourable Alexander Hamilton present the following bill on behalf of the Hamiltonian Faction:

For the people of the "Westsylvania" region, resolution is needed soon. As conflict within the region rises to a point of crisis, it is clear  that a diplomatic solution is imperative, lest we wish to see war on our frontier. Our faction hopes that this bill will become a point of consensus among the debate over "Westsylvania," a point that allows for local autonomy to be decided by the people, and for a stable government to be formed. We stand open for amendments and compromise, something that is much needed in today's tense climate.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2018, 06:49:37 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

Objects of the utmost gravity, questions which in their immensity contain the fate of our republic, are now before us. Let there be no ambiguity between us, gentlemen, now. May the voice of the Lord our God ring clear in the heart of every American, and the instrument of his divine Will this chamber be, in this, the crisis of our Union.

I will be very plain with you, gentlemen. I cannot condone, cannot excuse, the measures which the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has seen fit to levy against the alleged treason of their brethren to the west. The arrest of General Wilkinson; the suspension in some quarters of freedom of the press; the attempts in their multitude to prevent the exercise by the people of their sacred and inalienable right to speak freely, and without fear of coercion; are levied in direct contradiction to the provisions of the Constitution of that Commonwealth, and are anathema to the principle of republican liberty. In this crisis, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania have acted with all the arrogance and tactless insolence George III once reserved for the inhabitants of these States. That the contest has now come to violence, that American blood has been shed by American hands, is a prospect which was ever within the power of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to prevent. Instead, provocation, intolerance, and coercion have been the policy of the governing party. For this unhappy course of events, they have no-one to blame but themselves.

But even so—even as the actions of the governors and their officers are destined to beget the manly resistance that now rises up in the West—this is no excuse for violence, and lawlessness. Let there be no mistake, Mr. Speaker: rebellion against a State is a crime against the people, and treason to this Union. No republic may long survive when laws cease to be the currency by which the people bond their liberty, and the contest of faction gives way to the contest of arms. The tyranny of the mob is as terrible and as great a threat to the liberty of the people as the tyranny of the monarch, and I fear the day when powder and musket shot should become the ballots by which governments are made and unmade on this continent.

In an absolute State, where the freedom of speech and the franchise are denied to the people by the laws of the dominion, then rebellion is the right and duty of every good and able citizen; but in a republic, where the laws of the Country are established by the sovereignty of the people, rebellion is unjust and treasonous, and may not be tolerated—even when the grievances which may give rise to rebellion are just and permissible. Such a principle, enshrined in precedent, would be the death knell of the Union—a prospect too horrible for any who call himself the friend of American independence to for a moment entertain. That Westsylvania has been wronged by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, there is no contest; that some among her citizens have sought restitution for these wrongs by the point of the bayonet, is no more allowable, than the crimes they seek to prevent.

This, gentlemen, is our task. The rebellion must be put down with the gentle firmness of a mother, and immediately thereafter measures be taken by this government to restore the rights of the people of Westsylvania and secure the liberty of those wrongly held for the exercise of their natural liberty.

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2018, 07:26:02 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I am informed, by word carried by the swiftest couriers newly arrived in the city, of the burning of Pittsburg. Mutinous militiamen, acting with the apparent disregard of their officers and the evident apathy of the present government of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, massacred the defenders and set fire to the town. Colonel Hamilton, who selflessly placed himself in the line of fire in hopes of preventing the further effusion of blood, barely escaped with his life. We do not yet know how many are dead.

The hour has come when this government must prove itself worthy of the confidences of the people and the respect of the world. I move that the National Assembly invest the president with full authority to raise a force sufficient to suppress the lawless rebellion of the Pennsylvania militia and restore peace and tranquility to the western counties.

terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2018, 09:35:54 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I rise today because I feel it is my duty to thank the deputy of Suffolk and Queens for his service to his nation. Mr. Hamiltion has shown today that he will put his country first, he is a truly honorable man and pray that Mr. Hamiltion's legacy shall stand the test of time.

I ask that the national assembly bow our heads and pray for the safety of Mr. Hamiltion and the security of our nation under his control.

I yield
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2018, 09:40:45 PM »

Mr Speaker,

I thank everyone in this chamber for their well-wishes and may I say, I too hope my mission ends in success.

I hereby formally tender my resignation as the Member for Suffolk and Queens and as Leader of the Opposition. My deputy, Thomas Pinckney will assume acting Leadership until such time as a successor can be elected.

I wish you all the best.

With this Mr Speaker, I yield not just my time but my place. Thank you.
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2018, 07:27:52 AM »

Mr. Speaker,

As the Interim Leader of the Patriots in the national assembly, I present this bill on behalf of the Patriot faction:

I believe this Act must pass because the south is becoming unrepresented because of the far distance of travel from the South to Philadelphia. Not only will this allow for equal representation from the north and south but it also allows the National Assembly to be safe of the rioters in Pennsylvania. Not only will this only more representation of southern deputies and allow every deputy to be in a safe environment but it will also save on cost since the south has slave labor, unlike the north and Philadelphia. If we stay in Philidelphia and continue to build our government there then our government will continue to cost more and more which will further push our nation into debt.

I urge all my fellow Patriots and Deputies to support this act

I yield
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2018, 07:42:02 AM »

Mr.Speaker

I am not a member of these "Patriots", however I am a man who can see things that are needed. I second the motion to move the capital south.

wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2018, 09:10:38 AM »

Westsylvania Resolution Act of 1791

Be it resolved,

Mr. Speaker,

The act to install a referendum of choice for Westsylvanians has been revised to reflect the terms of the Westsylvanians and the Government to a peaceful resolution. No matter each faction's stance on Westsylvanian separatism, I ask for a vote in favor of this bill as it will offer an exit to this crisis and a peaceful resolution through democratic means.

I yield.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2018, 09:18:13 AM »

Mr. Speaker,

I have finally returned to this grand National Assembly from these negotiations, and while this resolution is not perfect, we have found a resolution to the Westsylvanian crisis, and in the process, preserved our Union.

Upon my return, I've took note of multiple things. First, I've been informed that my party's brand has potentially been permanently damaged in the eastern successor state of Pennsylvania by the outcome of these talks. And while I have much remorse for my fellow compatriots who strive to achieve political office in those lands who will now be consistently denied for generations to come, I will say I have no regret. I believe it better to preserve our Union while destroying my party, then to preserve my party while destroying this Union.

Furthermore, I have heard of many of my fellow Deputies that have criticized my performance in the negotiations in the battle field. I have a few notes for these Deputies. First, do experience these events in the same order as I have these past few weeks, and attempt a resolution when the Governor would not stop short of eradicating the Westsylvanians, as I had, before rendering a judgment yourselves. Without being too presumptuous, I believe the vast majority of you all would have acted in the same manner as I did given the hand I was dealt.

And secondly, if the unpopularity of this event eventually causes my political demise for one reason or another, then so be it. For it has been better for me to do my small part in preserving this Union than preserving my own electoral chances. I would rather return to Charlottesville Town without any office and yet know what I had done may have possibly tipped the scales in peace's favor, than to hold onto my seat and the office of First Secretary for dozens of terms knowing I had done absolutely nothing to resolve the crisis and have the nation burn beneath my feet. That, Mr. Speaker, would be the actions of a true tyrant. And that, for better or worse, is why I swiftly rode to the negotiating site, to preserve this Union for hopefully years to come and to put an end to this raging crisis.

I do not know, nor may ever know the full impact of this conflict on our young nation's future. I only hope it has shaped us in such a way that no future First Secretary may ever need to deal with such a crisis again.

Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2018, 10:39:54 AM »
« Edited: July 26, 2018, 10:49:20 AM by sjoyce »

Mr. Speaker,
I am proud to introduce legislation to recognize the new State of Cumberland, as well as to resolve the present dispute over the state's borders.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2018, 11:12:30 AM »

National Military Act of 1791

Be it resolved,

Mr Speaker, I believe that with the recent attacks by the Indian menace against our countrymen that this legislature must reconsider this legislation.  While I do recognize the concerns of my colleagues in the Senate on the amended legislation, which restricts the proposed military from being a large force during peacetime, there are a number of reasons why a large military would be dangerous to this nation. 

First, as the Gentlenan from Boston pointed out in this legislation's original debate, a large standing army has, in republics throughout history, been an enemy of liberty and has led to the destruction of Liberty by ambitious generals.  Secondly, there is the fiscal concerns of a large standing army, as this nation has just begun to produce a revenue in it's budget, a massive increase in spending would be dangerous to our economy.  The establishment of a large standing army would require either subjecting our nation to a large increase in its deficit and already enormous debt, or subjecting it to further taxation. 

Finding neither of these outcomes satisfactory, I choose to reintroduce this legislation in the interests of providing our nation and its people a standing army capable of purging the Indian menace from it's territory while keeping this nation's budget stable. 

(OOC: Legislation reintroduced by the Deputy from Wilkes.)
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2018, 11:16:58 AM »

Vermont Statehood Act, 1791

Be it resolved,

Mr. Speaker,

The resolution of those remaining disputes between the state of Vermont and the state of New York, and the newly received petition of the former for admission to the United States, it is my distinct privilege to present this resolution, and to move that the state of Vermont be immediately received as a new member of the United States.

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2018, 01:07:09 PM »

Be it resolved,

Mr Speaker, I believe that with the recent attacks by the Indian menace against our countrymen that this legislature must reconsider this legislation.  While I do recognize the concerns of my colleagues in the Senate on the amended legislation, which restricts the proposed military from being a large force during peacetime, there are a number of reasons why a large military would be dangerous to this nation. 

First, as the Gentlenan from Boston pointed out in this legislation's original debate, a large standing army has, in republics throughout history, been an enemy of liberty and has led to the destruction of Liberty by ambitious generals.  Secondly, there is the fiscal concerns of a large standing army, as this nation has just begun to produce a revenue in it's budget, a massive increase in spending would be dangerous to our economy.  The establishment of a large standing army would require either subjecting our nation to a large increase in its deficit and already enormous debt, or subjecting it to further taxation. 

Finding neither of these outcomes satisfactory, I choose to reintroduce this legislation in the interests of providing our nation and its people a standing army capable of purging the Indian menace from it's territory while keeping this nation's budget stable. 

(OOC: Legislation reintroduced by the Deputy from Wilkes.)

The Speaker:

Denied. The Patriot faction has already introduced the maximum amount of legislation allocated for them this year.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2018, 02:31:12 PM »

Be it resolved,

Mr Speaker,

I am reintroducing the legislation that itself was reintroduced by the honorable Deputy from Wilkes. In this era of conflict and struggle, it is imperative that we have strong defence forces in times of need to protect our young nation. Given that this bill also creates assurances that it will cause little expansion of our debt. I have peace in reintroducing this bill.

I yield.
Galaxie

« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2018, 05:12:59 PM »

National Coinage Act of 1791

Be it resolved,

Mr. Speaker,

The Hamiltonians introduce this Act to create a national Mint and Coinage system for these United States. Our country cannot continue along a path of financial instability and insolvency. Nay, our nation is in need of a standardized currency and a way to produce it to ensure that our commerce is reasonable, prosperous, and secure. To have a strong nation, we must have a strong financial system, and this Act lays the groundwork with which to achieve that.

I yield.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies