North Carolina GOP (The Gift That Keeps On Giving): NCGOP Chair Indicted
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:30:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  North Carolina GOP (The Gift That Keeps On Giving): NCGOP Chair Indicted
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12
Author Topic: North Carolina GOP (The Gift That Keeps On Giving): NCGOP Chair Indicted  (Read 30610 times)
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: September 08, 2019, 11:49:28 AM »

This should be where we stand going into 2021 redistricting, assuming this decision also gets applied to the NC congressional districts.  Green = significant restrictions on legislature, Yellow = completely independent process

Notes:

CT+ME: 2/3rds of legislature needed to pass a map
OH: partisan maps expire after 4 years instead of 10
KY: state constitution prohibits splitting counties unnecessarily (so cannot gerrymander KY-03)
NY+UT: commission proposes map that legislature can amend within certain limits

You've correctly noted the restrictions in Ohio, but I would not deem them significant.

Are they really not? I thought the restrictions on city/county splits was a rather significant one. In other words, for example, there should have to be a district entirely within Hamilton County that contains all of Cincinnati.

Okay, this is far enough off topic for NC related redisrticting, which this thread is about.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #226 on: September 08, 2019, 10:49:14 PM »

The plaintiffs have requested Nathaniel Persily to be the referee. He drew the Pennsylvania Congressional redo last year. He also drew the current districts for Connecticut and New York at the beginning of the decade.

Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #227 on: September 08, 2019, 11:09:51 PM »

The plaintiffs have requested Nathaniel Persily to be the referee. He drew the Pennsylvania Congressional redo last year. He also drew the current districts for Connecticut and New York at the beginning of the decade.

He's a excellent choice for the type  of outcome desired by the plaintiffs.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #228 on: September 08, 2019, 11:19:02 PM »

Isn't the one that drew a map more favorable to Democrats than 99% of other maps?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #229 on: September 09, 2019, 12:56:03 AM »

The New York map is rather decent, as is the PA map with a few minor quibbles, so I am hopeful if he is selected.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #230 on: September 09, 2019, 09:29:06 AM »

One of the requirements the court handed down was that the drawing of the new map be done in public. That's starting this morning.

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #231 on: September 09, 2019, 12:26:44 PM »

This should be where we stand going into 2021 redistricting, assuming this decision also gets applied to the NC congressional districts.  Green = significant restrictions on legislature, Yellow = completely independent process

Notes:

CT+ME: 2/3rds of legislature needed to pass a map
OH: partisan maps expire after 4 years instead of 10
KY: state constitution prohibits splitting counties unnecessarily (so cannot gerrymander KY-03)
NY+UT: commission proposes map that legislature can amend within certain limits

You've correctly noted the restrictions in Ohio, but I would not deem them significant.

Are they really not? I thought the restrictions on city/county splits was a rather significant one. In other words, for example, there should have to be a district entirely within Hamilton County that contains all of Cincinnati.

( last comment on this to avoid derailing)

Sorry, I thought you meant only the requirement to remap after 4 years if the parties can't agree rather than waiting a full 10. That's pretty much a paper tiger in my book, though the restrictions on city and county splits is noteworthy I agree.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #232 on: September 09, 2019, 04:41:02 PM »

This is hilarious, North Carolina Republicans continue to break the law.

Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #233 on: September 10, 2019, 05:21:23 PM »

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #234 on: September 10, 2019, 05:52:40 PM »

The courts need to draw the map themselves.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #235 on: September 11, 2019, 08:51:47 AM »
« Edited: September 11, 2019, 08:56:57 AM by Gass3268 »

This is disgusting. Luckily the State Senate can block it.

Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #236 on: September 11, 2019, 10:41:50 AM »

These people are scum, absolute ing scum.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #237 on: September 11, 2019, 11:25:59 AM »

I'm sure all these fine individuals will have an epiphany once Trump leaves office.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #238 on: September 11, 2019, 11:44:16 AM »

I'm sure all these fine individuals will have an epiphany once Trump leaves office.

I'm not.  The party in general seems to be focused entirely on holding and exercising power at the expense of any other principles.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #239 on: September 11, 2019, 11:50:31 AM »
« Edited: September 11, 2019, 02:20:51 PM by Nyvin »

Does the NCGOP even know the purpose of having a legislative assembly of representatives?   They're there to represent the interests of the people in the state, not rig the system to get what they want.

They did this while the NC House Dems were attending a ceremony for 9/11....wow!
Duke of York

« Reply #240 on: September 11, 2019, 02:35:12 PM »

Does the NCGOP even know the purpose of having a legislative assembly of representatives?   They're there to represent the interests of the people in the state, not rig the system to get what they want.

They did this while the NC House Dems were attending a ceremony for 9/11....wow!
I hope Democrats use this against them in campaign ads and in campaigning in general and in town halls. They would be foolish not too.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #241 on: September 11, 2019, 02:42:56 PM »

The NC Republican party needs to go the way of VA's, and fast.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #242 on: September 11, 2019, 02:51:04 PM »

Hang them all outside of the state capital and let them rot.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #243 on: September 11, 2019, 03:07:20 PM »

Why is the NCGOP so angry
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #244 on: September 11, 2019, 03:25:05 PM »

It's all that white privilege guilt.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #245 on: September 11, 2019, 08:26:32 PM »

The NC Republican party needs to go the way of VA's, and fast.

They are even more deplorable than WV Republicans.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #246 on: September 11, 2019, 09:01:01 PM »

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #247 on: September 11, 2019, 09:28:10 PM »

This is like a perfect example, LIVE, of why lawmakers should not be allowed anywhere near the maps and basically a non-factor in the process. They won't be able to help themselves, even when under court order. They don't want to risk losing their jobs and many of them don't even want to have to actually run in a competitive election and will do whatever they have to in order to avoid it. It's a massive conflict of interest and one of the founding father's biggest mistakes.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #248 on: September 11, 2019, 09:36:26 PM »

I kind of liked this explanation on Slate for what is going on here:

Republicans surely know they stand little chance of winning this round. By trolling the court, they are all but ensuring the appointment of a special master. At that point, Republicans can accuse the judges of overreach and demonize the judiciary. A number of important judicial seats are up for election in 2020, and GOP lawmakers may hope to provoke a backlash against progressive judges to rally the base. Whatever the cause for their bad behavior, North Carolina Republicans have spent the last few days proving once again that they could not draw a fair map to save their lives.

I don't think these politicians have any real hope that this will work, so they are just trying to weaponize the entire affair. The issue though is that they don't need to do this to "rally the base." They can just say whatever they want and their base will gobble it up. It's how politics works these days. And I'm really skeptical the GOP base even cares or feels passionately about this anyway. Maybe if they can get Trump to spend weeks railing against the NC judges and doing rallies in the state leading up to the 2020 elections, but other than that, it's not likely to cause any movement.

The other rationale is that NCGOP politicians are so immovably corrupt that even when forced into a situation where it is virtually impossible to gerrymander again due to the restrictions placed on the process, they simply can't produce a fair map because every inch of their being is screaming for them to manipulate the process anyway just for that 0.0001% chance it works. When they have no ethical foundation to lean on in the first place, it's really easy to give in to the urge to gerrymander anyway. What do they care? They won't personally face any repercussions for it. And all of this is a great argument for why they should.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #249 on: September 11, 2019, 09:40:56 PM »

This is like a perfect example, LIVE, of why lawmakers should not be allowed anywhere near the maps and basically a non-factor in the process. They won't be able to help themselves, even when under court order. They don't want to risk losing their jobs and many of them don't even want to have to actually run in a competitive election and will do whatever they have to in order to avoid it. It's a massive conflict of interest and one of the founding father's biggest mistakes.

Agreed, even if they don't do a partisan gerrymander they'll do an incumbent protection gerrymander and there are many ways for them to deviate from a fair map. Voters should choose their politicians rather than politicians choosing their voters, after all.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies