North Carolina GOP (The Gift That Keeps On Giving): NCGOP Chair Indicted
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:24:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  North Carolina GOP (The Gift That Keeps On Giving): NCGOP Chair Indicted
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12
Author Topic: North Carolina GOP (The Gift That Keeps On Giving): NCGOP Chair Indicted  (Read 30637 times)
voice_of_resistance
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.34, S: 5.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: July 15, 2019, 05:33:40 PM »

Laughs. Lived in North Carolina all my life up until 2012. Democrats ran the state continuously for more or less 130 years essentially unchallenged.
This sounds a lot like the zany claim that "Democrats were the party of slavery". Yes, in the 1860s. That was a long time ago.

The GOP has not realised that in today's world, politics is about much more than money. It undergirds every aspect of ours lives, from family to consumption to sexuality. Attacking the process of fair elections is denying the right to a fair society, which is the core belief in the US as a country. The anger will never subside.

That there were shocking shenanigans in the 1950s in North Carolina, a time of white male authority when a large chunk of the population was disenfranchised, is immaterial to today's world and does not justify anyone's actions.

The actions I'm describing were from the 1990s and 2000s where the Democrats dominated affairs on a state level. I've not even touched the unique version of straight ticket voting the state at least used to have, not sure if they still do, that the Democrats pushed through (you can vote straight ticket for everything but president, that way if you hated the national Democratic Party as a lot of N.C. Democrats at least used to, you could vote R for president and D for everything else), or how white Democrat vs. black Democrat politics work in smaller voting districts (e.g. municipal level). This wasn't the 1950s, this was the 2000s.

North Carolina Democrats raising hell about the Republican actions in the state is an alcoholic suddenly finding religion and is in favor of throwing the book at anyone that has a sip of wine. I was a resident of the state of North Carolina for 30 years of my life, lived in Beaufort, New Bern, Havelock, Raleigh during my time in college, Rocky Mount, took classes in North Carolina history, was actually awake for them, and you're a resident of Ireland per your avatar. Unless you're lying about where you're from, I think I know more about the state politically than you, with all due respect.

State Democrats suddenly throwing a fit about gerrymandering, dear God, if there was ever a clearer case of the pot calling the kettle black. "Racial gerrymandering" - go look at the electoral map of eastern North Carolina over the past 30 years. The 1st and 3rd districts of the '90s were outright disasters and the guy that drew it should be locked in jail for having his only eye being toward intentionally segregating voters away from one another based on racial demographics. And you know who drew that map? A Democrat, because they controlled the State House continuously from 1899 to 2010 for all but a handful of years. Democrats can tell me they have changed when they start holding resolutions for their state party going back and censuring the actions of their corrupt members of the past. Until then, don't sit and try and tell me they're any better than the North Carolina GOP and act holier than thou. I'm not sitting here and telling you the North Carolina GOP are intelligent and saints, I'm telling you the Democrats are no better than them. They're a bunch of Bev Perdues, Easleys, and Holden Thorps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Carolina%27s_congressional_districts#/media/File:United_States_Congressional_Districts_in_North_Carolina,_1993_%E2%80%93_1998.tif

Just looking at this 1990s CD map, how was this allowed? I know the 12th was struck down, but the 3rd and 6th districts here are definitely not contiguous. Even the racists of Jim Crow drew contiguous districts.

Water and touch point contiguity.

The 6th district has the 12th cut right through it.  You cannot full get through the 6th from North to South without crossing the 12th. Same with the 3rd and 1st districts.  With these rules, you could draw checkerboard block districts that literally skip every other house.

So was point contiguity not a requirement in NC districting back then? Like I get districts 1 and 3 touching at a single point but 6 and 12 look ridiculous.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #176 on: July 16, 2019, 08:56:13 AM »
« Edited: July 16, 2019, 09:09:28 AM by Oryxslayer »

Follow @mcpli if you want live tweets of the case's arguments each day.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #177 on: July 16, 2019, 10:29:54 AM »

https://twitter.com/mel_bough

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/article232677422.html

He also said that since the North Carolina constitution specifically gives redistricting power to the legislature, it shouldn’t even be up to a court to step in and dictate how redistricting should or shouldn’t work.

Right, because telling the courts they have no right whatsoever to rule on redistricting-related issues is totally a solid argument. It worked so well in Pennsylvania's case.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #178 on: July 16, 2019, 10:37:31 AM »

https://twitter.com/mel_bough

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/article232677422.html

He also said that since the North Carolina constitution specifically gives redistricting power to the legislature, it shouldn’t even be up to a court to step in and dictate how redistricting should or shouldn’t work.

Right, because telling the courts they have no right whatsoever to rule on redistricting-related issues is totally a solid argument. It worked so well in Pennsylvania's case.

Haha, good luck with that NCGOP.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #179 on: July 18, 2019, 12:27:35 PM »

Moderate suburbanite State  Rep. Holly Grange is IN for Governor. Grange backed reforms opposed by hard right to bathroom legislation and is military vet (West Point grad).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.newsobserver.com/news/business/article232823772.html
Epaminondas

« Reply #180 on: August 01, 2019, 03:58:13 PM »

Now that SCOTUS has leaned in and decided that gerrymandering is non-justiciable, how could the SCONC alter the map and get it to stick for 2020?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #181 on: August 01, 2019, 04:32:24 PM »

Now that SCOTUS has leaned in and decided that gerrymandering is non-justiciable, how could the SCONC alter the map and get it to stick for 2020?

The ruling applies to federal courts. The SCONC is using state law, so similar to the PA case, the maps will stand for 2020 if implemented. In fact the Supreme court case changed very little since they had always thrown out Non-VRA gerry cases beforehand, the two big court-ordered remaps in PA/FL this cycle came from state laws and state courts. States can do whatever they want, and in fact the Supreme's verdict stated that state insitutions or congress can legislate for gerrymandering in whatever manner they please, it just never can be a federal court issue and really never was.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #182 on: August 01, 2019, 04:58:12 PM »

Coz its the Supreme court of North Carolina.  They just have to find some random words in the state constitution and SCOTUS won't do jack.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #183 on: August 01, 2019, 09:36:44 PM »

The ruling applies to federal courts. The SCONC is using state law, so similar to the PA case, the maps will stand for 2020 if implemented. In fact the Supreme court case changed very little since they had always thrown out Non-VRA gerry cases beforehand, the two big court-ordered remaps in PA/FL this cycle came from state laws and state courts. States can do whatever they want, and in fact the Supreme's verdict stated that state insitutions or congress can legislate for gerrymandering in whatever manner they please, it just never can be a federal court issue and really never was.

Roberts endorsing the state commissions pretty explicitly this year was a pleasant surprise as he dissented from a 5/4 decision upholding redistricting commissions passed by referendum back in 2015.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #184 on: August 02, 2019, 01:27:45 PM »

Epaminondas

« Reply #185 on: August 03, 2019, 12:16:53 AM »

Add them to the mugshots of Greg Gianforte, Colin Murray, Don Blankenship, Michael Grimm...
voice_of_resistance
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.34, S: 5.22

« Reply #186 on: August 03, 2019, 01:09:21 AM »

bUt ThE gOp Is ThE pArTy Of LaW aNd OrDeR!!!

Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #187 on: August 03, 2019, 04:44:10 PM »

Are you sure they weren't arrested for Meth? Those are the scuzziest most disgusting looking group of rednecks I have ever seen.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #188 on: August 03, 2019, 09:59:48 PM »

Are you sure they weren't arrested for Meth? Those are the scuzziest most disgusting looking group of rednecks I have ever seen.

fwiw, when the hammer started coming down and they all started talking to the press, it was mentioned that there was frequent drug use (opiates) where Dowless kept and sorted the ballots. I forget which one it was, but the woman talking said she would go in there and frequently see someone passed out from getting high all day.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #189 on: August 03, 2019, 10:18:38 PM »

fwiw, when the hammer started coming down and they all started talking to the press, it was mentioned that there was frequent drug use (opiates) where Dowless kept and sorted the ballots. I forget which one it was, but the woman talking said she would go in there and frequently see someone passed out from getting high all day.

I....
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #190 on: August 03, 2019, 10:35:49 PM »

Found it lol

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/briannasacks/dowless-britt-inside-north-carolina-absentee-ballot-machine

Jessica Dowless described the scene in the small office at the intersection of two highways, where she worked on Harris’s behalf for the last two months as chaotic. One worker, she said, “was so ******g high the other day she passed out at the ******g computer.” One of the workers who collected absentee ballots from residents was a “pill head,” she said.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #191 on: August 04, 2019, 05:33:23 PM »

bUt ThE gOp Is ThE pArTy Of LaW aNd OrDeR!!!

That's why so many of them are in police stations.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #192 on: September 03, 2019, 03:13:05 PM »
« Edited: September 03, 2019, 03:36:41 PM by Oryxslayer »

Its here! So what will the dem court do now is the question. Perhaps they draw a bunch of competitive seats. Perhaps they will draw seats that will result in a dem majority, to force divided govt in 2020. Perhaps they just change around the AA seats in the east. Perhaps the GOP will try to claw onto their majority for 2 more years.  Who knows for now.  

Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #193 on: September 03, 2019, 03:40:51 PM »

Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #194 on: September 03, 2019, 03:44:27 PM »

So the referee will get to pick the maps drawn by either the defendant legislature or the plaintiffs?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #195 on: September 03, 2019, 04:04:38 PM »

So the referee will get to pick the maps drawn by either the defendant legislature or the plaintiffs?

Considering its the NCGOP, the court will either pick the plaintiffs or draw their own. I have no faith in the NCGOP going along with this,
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #196 on: September 03, 2019, 04:21:01 PM »

Apparently the legislature has 2 weeks to submit a legal map, before  the courts and master seize control.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #197 on: September 03, 2019, 04:45:00 PM »

Saw a statement that the legislature is not going to appeal the decision.
Duke of York

« Reply #198 on: September 03, 2019, 04:49:29 PM »

Saw a statement that the legislature is not going to appeal the decision.

You mean this? https://twitter.com/NickOchsnerWBTV/status/1168998919885508608
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #199 on: September 03, 2019, 04:55:32 PM »

They realize how there is literally no way to win in a 6D-1R State Supreme Court,  so there's no point to appeal.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies