North Carolina GOP (The Gift That Keeps On Giving): NCGOP Chair Indicted
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:46:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  North Carolina GOP (The Gift That Keeps On Giving): NCGOP Chair Indicted
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Author Topic: North Carolina GOP (The Gift That Keeps On Giving): NCGOP Chair Indicted  (Read 30600 times)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2018, 02:33:04 PM »

Ugh, I come here thinking I'm finally the first one to post a poll, and here it already is, posted hours ago lmbo. This just reminds me why I love this forum so much. For all the crap Atlas gets, it's not easy to find another forum out there dedicated to political data but also highly active too. I don't think another one exists.

-

Anyway, this is amazing. I was deeply skeptical that the judicial selection and election board amendments would fail, given how innocuous they seem to the average voter, but word seems to be out that they are power grabs. Even if just the judicial selection amendment failed, that would still be a massive win. It means no court-packing and the state supreme court goes 5 - 2 Democratic.

If that happens, the legislative lame duck period is going to be interesting. Can't wait to see how Republicans plan to lash out then. Maybe they can pass a bill defunding coffee machines in the Governor's office?

Can you imagine the rage when the NCSC strikes down all of their redistricting maps in 2021, forcing them to be drawn by a court?

Pennsylvania 2.0. Karma is a bitch.

I wouldn't be surprised if the NCGOP would go through with impeaching in that case--they're really properly hellbent on power in all cases.
It would need a 2/3 majority. They're probably not having this majority after the election.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2018, 04:07:00 PM »

If the Dems pick up NC-02, NC-09, and NC-13, then the state is definitely a tossup in 2020.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2018, 01:45:28 PM »

Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2018, 04:46:01 PM »

Ugh, I come here thinking I'm finally the first one to post a poll, and here it already is, posted hours ago lmbo. This just reminds me why I love this forum so much. For all the crap Atlas gets, it's not easy to find another forum out there dedicated to political data but also highly active too. I don't think another one exists.

-

Anyway, this is amazing. I was deeply skeptical that the judicial selection and election board amendments would fail, given how innocuous they seem to the average voter, but word seems to be out that they are power grabs. Even if just the judicial selection amendment failed, that would still be a massive win. It means no court-packing and the state supreme court goes 5 - 2 Democratic.

If that happens, the legislative lame duck period is going to be interesting. Can't wait to see how Republicans plan to lash out then. Maybe they can pass a bill defunding coffee machines in the Governor's office?

Can you imagine the rage when the NCSC strikes down all of their redistricting maps in 2021, forcing them to be drawn by a court?

Pennsylvania 2.0. Karma is a bitch.

I wouldn't be surprised if the NCGOP would go through with impeaching in that case--they're really properly hellbent on power in all cases.
It would need a 2/3 majority. They're probably not having this majority after the election.

There is however a lame-duck session, where they'll likely pass the voter ID bill and other assorted nastiness. Might as well throw on judicial impeachment too.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2018, 12:04:05 AM »

Totally forgot about this, but regarding North Carolina's 5 - 2 Democratic Supreme Court:

If they want, this is a slam dunk. Just throw a dart on a board with this list and get moving:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Follow the NCGOP's example and just do whatever you want and see if anyone can stop you Smile
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2018, 12:06:36 AM »

So wins
NC senate GOP supermajority or Roy Cooper and his super majority court.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2018, 12:27:37 AM »

So wins
NC senate GOP supermajority or Roy Cooper and his super majority court.

There is no more NC Senate supermajority beginning in January
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2018, 12:31:25 AM »

Important to note that besides the power-grab amendments, all other four (including voter ID) passed.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2018, 11:18:31 AM »

Important to note that besides the power-grab amendments, all other four (including voter ID) passed.

Voter ID will likely be ruled against at some point and the hunt and fish amendment is basically meaningless. Also, the victim's rights amendment was always going to pass.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2018, 04:00:40 PM »

New Republican Christopher Anglin was a hero to all people of North Carolina. Anita Earls probably loses a heart breaker without his hard work.

Source
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2018, 04:04:12 PM »

Voter ID will likely be ruled against at some point and the hunt and fish amendment is basically meaningless. Also, the victim's rights amendment was always going to pass.

In the event the 4th circuit doesn't throw it out, maybe the state Supreme Court can, at the very least, rebuff GOP attempts to craft very strict lists of IDs that inevitably exclude IDs disproportionately possessed by Democrats.

The amendment also doesn't require IDs for absentee ballots (on purpose), so maybe they can try and make a case for that too. Like I said before, just make something up and throw it out. Play the game the way the NCGOP wants to play.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2018, 11:48:30 AM »

It's happening.gif

Kinda surprised they didn't wait until after the lame duck was over.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2018, 11:58:07 AM »

It's happening.gif

https://twitter.com/marceelias/status/1062382430915571712

Yea, I was thinking it might be iffy to do that while they can still technically impeach justices, but then again, Cooper would get to fill the vacancy with another Democrat, so it doesn't matter. We'll see if the General Assembly will lash out soon in their special session. They are a very reactionary bunch, so I'm sure this is weighing heavily on them.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2018, 12:19:43 PM »

It's happening.gif

https://twitter.com/marceelias/status/1062382430915571712

Yea, I was thinking it might be iffy to do that while they can still technically impeach justices, but then again, Cooper would get to fill the vacancy with another Democrat, so it doesn't matter. We'll see if the General Assembly will lash out soon in their special session. They are a very reactionary bunch, so I'm sure this is weighing heavily on them.

Whatever nonsense they try to do in the speical election will just get struck down. This is all reminding me of a game of wack a mole.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2018, 12:45:04 PM »

Wasn't the Marsy's Law amendment supported by Democrats though?   The hunt and fish thing wasn't very political either way.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2018, 01:43:57 PM »

Proposed photo ID rules:

It could be worse, but I think they are trying to play it safe to avoid them getting struck down in federal court.

-

Also, plaintiffs ask that trial be held around April for NC partisan gerrymandering lawsuit (legislative maps):

http://pulse.ncpolicywatch.org/2018/11/21/partisan-gerrymandering-plaintiffs-ask-state-court-to-speed-up-proceedings/
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2018, 12:20:31 PM »

4th time's a charm? Smile   (re-post)

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2018, 03:08:33 PM »

NC GOP Trying Again To Cement Control Of Local Elections Boards During Election Years

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/nc-gop-trying-again-to-cement-control-of-local-elections-boards-during-election-years

So basically, the GOP gets to hold a majority on county election boards when there is a major election, and Democrats can chair when it's nothing but local elections. Sounds very fair and definitely not a power grab meant to deny early voting to Democratic counties!

They just can't stop trying to seize control of election boards. Their desperation stinks.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2018, 03:24:51 PM »

NC GOP Trying Again To Cement Control Of Local Elections Boards During Election Years

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/nc-gop-trying-again-to-cement-control-of-local-elections-boards-during-election-years

So basically, the GOP gets to hold a majority on county election boards when there is a major election, and Democrats can chair when it's nothing but local elections. Sounds very fair and definitely not a power grab meant to deny early voting to Democratic counties!

They just can't stop trying to seize control of election boards. Their desperation stinks.

Luckily the State Supreme Court will smack most of this down. It's like a game of whack-a-mole.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2018, 04:15:26 PM »

Why is the Supreme Court even needed? How can they pass this over Cooper's veto?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2018, 04:16:18 PM »

Why is the Supreme Court even needed? How can they pass this over Cooper's veto?

It's a lame-duck bill with their lame super majority.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2018, 04:19:21 PM »

So they lose the supermajority after the new legislature is sworn in?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2018, 04:31:40 PM »

I was wrong, this is their 5th attempt to seize control of the election boards. The first three were shot down by the SC, and the 4th one failed because voters didn't approve the constitutional amendment.

Also, part of what I was saying before about Republicans changing the election board powers to blunt the election fraud investigation:

NC Republicans never disappoint Smile

So they lose the supermajority after the new legislature is sworn in?

Yup.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2018, 11:28:16 PM »

NC doesn't allow initiative or referendum.

The governor can't veto the map.

Is there any way at all to end Republicans' gerrymandering?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2018, 11:29:15 PM »

NC doesn't allow initiative or referendum.

The governor can't veto the map.

Is there any way at all to end Republicans' gerrymandering?

how tf don't MN and WI two states with large amounts of progressive and #populist not allow referendums?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies