North Carolina GOP (The Gift That Keeps On Giving): NCGOP Chair Indicted
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:06:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  North Carolina GOP (The Gift That Keeps On Giving): NCGOP Chair Indicted
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
Author Topic: North Carolina GOP (The Gift That Keeps On Giving): NCGOP Chair Indicted  (Read 30609 times)
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2018, 08:36:10 AM »

At this point, the NCGOP has made so many mistakes that I doubt even writing the language for the thing will help.

The Dems will likely break the supermajority at this rate, and if Mondale is correct, get close to/ win a majority in either chamber.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2018, 07:22:07 PM »

So they definitely are convening a special session now.

At this point, the NCGOP has made so many mistakes that I doubt even writing the language for the thing will help.

The Dems will likely break the supermajority at this rate, and if Mondale is correct, get close to/ win a majority in either chamber.

The problem is that people are voting on issues that at first glance, may not look so bad to voters. They aren't inherently bad until you take into account the motivations behind them, although I still contend that voter ID causes more problems than it fixes, and this amendment's version of it is particularly bad in that it doesn't require absentee voters to show an ID but makes in-person voters show one, which makes no sense at all, as absentee fraud is both easier and more prevalent due to a person not actually having to show up to do it.

The amendment letting the legislature fill judicial vacancies might seem innocent to voters unless Democrats invest in a well-financed education campaign. Voters may have a different opinion if they know the NCGOP only did it because they want to pack the state supreme court, which without this amendment, attempts to do so would leave Cooper, a Democrat, filling the initial extra two vacancies, not Republicans.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2018, 07:56:25 PM »

That would be fantastic.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2018, 11:02:18 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2018, 02:17:20 PM by Ronnie »

They just passed a law retroactively stripping Chris Anglin of his Republican affiliation because of his threat to the incumbent Republican: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/07/north-carolina-republicans-pass-bill-to-strip-state-supreme-court-candidate-chris-anglin-of-his-gop-affiliation.html

Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2018, 01:54:45 PM »

They just retroactively passed a law stripping Chris Anglin of his Republican affiliation because of his threat to the incumbent Republican: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/07/north-carolina-republicans-pass-bill-to-strip-state-supreme-court-candidate-chris-anglin-of-his-gop-affiliation.html

TBH, the NCGOP is going to lose this race, its just too much of a D year. The fact that they listed partisan affiliation will be the nail in the coffin. NC will see a 5-2 D SC next year.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2018, 01:59:22 PM »

Pretty good case to make that retroactively stripping his partisan affiliation for partisan purposes is a constitutional violation, given the proximity to the election.

TBH, the NCGOP is going to lose this race, its just too much of a D year. The fact that they listed partisan affiliation will be the nail in the coffin. NC will see a 5-2 D SC next year.

I sure hope so, because it's all but certain that the court vacancies amendment is meant to give them a way to pack the supreme court without allowing Cooper to pick the initial judges to fill the two new vacancies. The only way to block this is to win this supreme court race, which would still give Democrats a 5-4 majority even with two new Republicans.

Also, as expected, the descriptions the GOP wrote in the special session are highly misleading.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2018, 03:06:21 PM »
« Edited: August 22, 2018, 03:10:55 PM by Virginiá »

Court blocks two highly misleading amendments meant to strip power away from Governor (temporarily - for now):

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/article216880225.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This ordeal is yet another chapter in the NCGOP's brazenly corrupt efforts to steal and entrench power in the state government. It's also a good example of their arrogance, as they wrote descriptions so misleading that even a court had to block them. The legislature didn't need to go that far, imo. They could have wrote a more reasonable design without making it that much more likely to lose.

But, then again, that is one of the hallmarks of the NCGOP. They make extreme and often illegal efforts to get what they want, even when it's not really necessary.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2018, 06:38:45 PM »

The current Republican incumbent is in 3rd place! LOLOLOLOL

ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2018, 06:43:16 PM »

The current Republican incumbent is in 3rd place! LOLOLOLOL

The incumbent has FIFTEEN PERCENT? HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA.

Bruce Rauner can rest assured that he isn't the most pathetic Republican incumbent in the country right now.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2018, 08:58:51 PM »

hahahahaha

Beautiful to see these evil, evil people get what's coming to them.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2018, 07:38:50 PM »

hahahahaha

Beautiful to see these evil, evil people get what's coming to them.

It's about time. Sometimes there is justice in the world after all.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2018, 04:31:50 PM »

Rs will lose supermajority in house. Not sure about senate
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2018, 07:15:55 PM »

The two anti-democratic Constitutional amendments are failing:

Also the incumbent Republican Supreme Court Justice is still down big (22 points):

ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2018, 08:54:48 PM »

The two anti-democratic Constitutional amendments are failing:

Also the incumbent Republican Supreme Court Justice is still down big (22 points):

If only the tax cap were down, then it would be N U T worthy.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2018, 10:39:56 PM »

Ugh, I come here thinking I'm finally the first one to post a poll, and here it already is, posted hours ago lmbo. This just reminds me why I love this forum so much. For all the crap Atlas gets, it's not easy to find another forum out there dedicated to political data but also highly active too. I don't think another one exists.

-

Anyway, this is amazing. I was deeply skeptical that the judicial selection and election board amendments would fail, given how innocuous they seem to the average voter, but word seems to be out that they are power grabs. Even if just the judicial selection amendment failed, that would still be a massive win. It means no court-packing and the state supreme court goes 5 - 2 Democratic.

If that happens, the legislative lame duck period is going to be interesting. Can't wait to see how Republicans plan to lash out then. Maybe they can pass a bill defunding coffee machines in the Governor's office?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2018, 01:01:43 AM »

Voted Tuesday Afternoon:
Dem for State Senate/State House/Supreme Court and No on the judicial and election boards amendments.

I voted Republican for most everything else.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2018, 09:04:27 AM »

Ugh, I come here thinking I'm finally the first one to post a poll, and here it already is, posted hours ago lmbo. This just reminds me why I love this forum so much. For all the crap Atlas gets, it's not easy to find another forum out there dedicated to political data but also highly active too. I don't think another one exists.

-

Anyway, this is amazing. I was deeply skeptical that the judicial selection and election board amendments would fail, given how innocuous they seem to the average voter, but word seems to be out that they are power grabs. Even if just the judicial selection amendment failed, that would still be a massive win. It means no court-packing and the state supreme court goes 5 - 2 Democratic.

If that happens, the legislative lame duck period is going to be interesting. Can't wait to see how Republicans plan to lash out then. Maybe they can pass a bill defunding coffee machines in the Governor's office?

Can you imagine the rage when the NCSC strikes down all of their redistricting maps in 2021, forcing them to be drawn by a court?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2018, 11:17:22 AM »

Voted Tuesday Afternoon:
Dem for State Senate/State House/Supreme Court and No on the judicial and election boards amendments.

You did the right thing for your state - NCGOP needs to be checked
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2018, 10:56:09 PM »

-

Can you imagine the rage when the NCSC strikes down all of their redistricting maps in 2021, forcing them to be drawn by a court?

Pennsylvania 2.0. Karma is a bitch.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2018, 11:22:51 PM »

Voted Tuesday Afternoon:

You did the right thing for your state - NCGOP needs to be checked

The NCGOP needs to be nuked, it is out there on Pluto.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2018, 11:24:01 PM »

-

I couldn't get lucky enough for that to happen here. Most of the best maps in effect right now, were drawn by the courts.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2018, 11:40:47 PM »

I couldn't get lucky enough for that to happen here. Most of the best maps in effect right now, were drawn by the courts.

Couldn't another lawsuit be filed in state court before the 2020 elections challenging the maps as partisan gerrymanders? The maps that were sued over before in state court years ago are no longer even in effect afaik, since the legislature redrew them due to a federal lawsuit (and still played games too, re-gerrymandering districts in violation of state law outside the parameters of the federal court order). Quite frankly, at this point, I don't even care if they technically shouldn't. They should find a justification and just redraw the maps ASAP just to restore some semblance of sanity to the state's government. You can't have a functional democracy if the pseudo-majority party is constantly rigging the system and changing the rules every single year.

The best thing for North Carolina is neutral maps and a divided government through the early-mid 2020s at least. Make these people work together and especially for the NCGOP, humble them a bit and teach them that they aren't the center of the universe and that yes, NC is not some staunchly Republican deep south state, and yes, the political opposition has a legitimate right to govern if they win power.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2018, 03:16:38 AM »

Voted Tuesday Afternoon:

1. Respect.

2. How did you vote on the voter ID and income tax amendments?
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2018, 10:50:30 AM »

-

I wouldn't be surprised if the NCGOP would go through with impeaching in that case--they're really properly hellbent on power in all cases.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2018, 12:55:53 PM »

-

I wouldn't be surprised if the NCGOP would go through with impeaching in that case--they're really properly hellbent on power in all cases.

Not like there isn't recent precedent for that, either. Look at what happened in West Virginia.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies