Who said this quote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 07:22:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Who said this quote?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Which Anti-Republican Bush-hater said this quote? (see below)
Jfern

Jakefern

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: Who said this quote?  (Read 2362 times)
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2005, 10:59:13 PM »

Don,

You have forgotten something very important.  Winning elections is not an end in itself, we won these elections so we could make the world a better place for ourselves and our children.

I am ashamed at the thought of this mediocre mind on the Supreme Court and this shameless display of cronyism in government.  You should be too.  I'm not a Republican because I'm too old to join the Boy Scouts, and I'm not a Republican because joining a book club would entail too much reading.  I'm not here to do group activities.  I'm here to change the world for the better.

"My country is more important than my party."

-Zell Miller

John,

I'm with you up until your application of your principle.  I'm a Republican because I believe that the Republican Party is the best vehicle to do the most good for the human race.  I fervently believe that this President is doing everything that he can to protect America and defend and expand liberty here and around the World.

I don't want a Supreme Court that is afraid to protect basic liberty just because they can't find that liberty specifically spelled out - even if said liberty is implied in the very heart of the document.  I fear a court that would emulate the 9th Circuit's insane decisions to ban refrence to an almighty God in our Pledge.  But equally, I fear a court that would not have had the courage to strike down anti-sodomy laws.  I don't want a Roy Moore or a Ruth Bader Ginsburg.  I would have supported another Scalia I suppose, but just not wholeheartedly. 

I was so relieved when I heard the news this morning.  I could be completely wrong, and maybe the consensus here is right.  But given how awesome the Roberts nomination was, I'm counting that the President hasn't struck out on this one.  I trust him.  Please don't fault me if I'm sorry that you do not.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2005, 11:01:57 PM »

I fervently believe that this President is doing everything that he can to protect America and defend and expand liberty here and around the World.
I'm sure all of the dead poor people in New Orleans agree.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2005, 11:02:36 PM »

I fervently believe that this President is doing everything that he can to protect America and defend and expand liberty here and around the World.
I'm sure all of the dead poor people in New Orleans agree.

That's enough Jak..er.. Jfern.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2005, 11:04:28 PM »

Do you ever shut the **** up?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2005, 11:12:28 PM »

Hey, htmldon is getting on my nerves too. The right to sodomy is in the heart and soul of the Constitution? Oh well, at least he admits it isn't in the actual Constitution.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2005, 11:56:29 PM »

Don,

You have forgotten something very important.  Winning elections is not an end in itself, we won these elections so we could make the world a better place for ourselves and our children.

I am ashamed at the thought of this mediocre mind on the Supreme Court and this shameless display of cronyism in government.  You should be too.  I'm not a Republican because I'm too old to join the Boy Scouts, and I'm not a Republican because joining a book club would entail too much reading.  I'm not here to do group activities.  I'm here to change the world for the better.

"My country is more important than my party."

-Zell Miller

John,

I'm with you up until your application of your principle.  I'm a Republican because I believe that the Republican Party is the best vehicle to do the most good for the human race.  I fervently believe that this President is doing everything that he can to protect America and defend and expand liberty here and around the World.

I don't want a Supreme Court that is afraid to protect basic liberty just because they can't find that liberty specifically spelled out - even if said liberty is implied in the very heart of the document.  I fear a court that would emulate the 9th Circuit's insane decisions to ban refrence to an almighty God in our Pledge.  But equally, I fear a court that would not have had the courage to strike down anti-sodomy laws.  I don't want a Roy Moore or a Ruth Bader Ginsburg.  I would have supported another Scalia I suppose, but just not wholeheartedly. 

I was so relieved when I heard the news this morning.  I could be completely wrong, and maybe the consensus here is right.  But given how awesome the Roberts nomination was, I'm counting that the President hasn't struck out on this one.  I trust him.  Please don't fault me if I'm sorry that you do not.

I don't fault you and unlike some people here I'm not mad at you personally.  But I do not trust George Bush's judgement of people's character.

A list of people George Bush trusted and likes:
Vladimir Putin
Vincente Fox
George Tenet
Colin Powell
Paul Bremer

It goes on and on, not to mention movie nights with Teddy Kennedy.

I do not trust this man.  I loved the Roberts nomination because I had my own list of people I thought were high caliber minds and Roberts was on it.  Even with all the buzz surrounding her, Miers never crossed my mind as a serious possibility because she seems so underpowered from what I know about her.

Don't get me wrong though, I appreciate your zeal for compassion, its something often missing from the GOP of the past.  But there are a lot of compassionate people who are obviously qualified for this job, and Miers isn't one of them in my mind.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2005, 03:43:35 PM »

His "compassionate constructionism" or whatever is hilarious.
I believe that the term he used was "compassionate strict constructionism," which is even more hilarious (being a contradiction in terms).
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies