The Press
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:10:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  The Press
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: The Press  (Read 11823 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 27, 2018, 12:18:02 PM »

The Press:
Much (if not most) of early American political discourse took place in the press as the Founding Fathers ripped each other apart in full sight and view of the nation, and you'll be allowed to do the very same. Here is were you will print pamphlets, newspapers and important speeches you may deliver outside the National Assembly (as in, quoting parts of said speech).

Here are the alternatives offered to you:

Newspapers: Newspapers offer you the benefit of a stable group of readers to consume your various articles, and can be extremely effective in swaying public opinions on given sections of the country. On the other hand, they require constant work, publishing at least once per a normal government turn (that is to say, one a week in RL terms) to showcase the constant publication of a normal newspaper. Failure to do so will lead to readers flocking to more active newspapers. Given the influence in the press in public opinion, a player could devote himself to be a full-time press baron and wield great influence over politics.

Pamphlets: Single editions of something you may want to publish, either to raise attention to a topic, smear an opponent or break out a scandal ala Reynolds Pamphlet. These can be anonymous too (although players will, for evident reasons, know who posted them OOC), so I suspect this will be fun to witness and use.

Speeches/Announcements: Important as well, when you wish to make a statement outside the National Assembly and wish for the press to cover it you can post here quotes of the speech, a brief description of the speech... or the whole speech if you're that enthusiastic about the game.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 01:53:54 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 03:25:30 PM »

Gazette of the United States

The United States of America is a nation of Liberty, and a nation of Freedom. When the United States was founded it was warring with the nation most of us Americans were born into a system of Colonies from the state of violence and I myself am a Lutheran Minister and the bible tells us in the book of John Chapter 6 Verse 12 " “I have the right to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything”—but I will not be mastered by anything." The freedoms granted to every American by the constitution stand in the eyes of god these are not gained freedoms, but Freedoms granted to every American since their birth and the birth of this nation.

When America was founded nigh 15 years ago, Washington, Adams, Hancock, and Franklin were the bringers of a revolution that fractured homes, and villages and even the cities of our nation. However, now as we look back upon the battle for our freedom against the tyranny of the King George III we see not as a Monarchy looking forward, but a Republic looking back. We see that the tyranny of George was madness, but for so long we had sufficed under it?  King George was able to lead his tyranny through a strong central Government in the United Kingdom, if we had not let the tyranny of too much central government take over then we would not have needed the revolution and we could have seceded from the Union with Britain as we had wished without violence or war.

I urge my friends who signed the Constitution of these United States, to join me again in saying no to the ways of Centralized Government and let the American way be a different way. One of Liberty and Freedom, one where one naught fears what he says may be heard by a loyalist or an adversary and might be hung for such words of Sedition.  We should be giving the powers once thought to be vested in the name of God and the King, into the hands of the individual state government, so it does not see the Federal Government become so strong as to consume those powers set in the constitution as to protect the United States, from such a strong central government. I am pleading my fellow Pennsylvanians and fellow Americans, to please elect members of the National Assembly that set forth these guidelines on limiting the power of the Central Government in Philadelphia to the smallest amount it possibly can. The Party which will uphold these great tasks is the one I am a mass supporter of and that is the Democratic-Republican Party lead by one of the finest Americans I know Thomas Jefferson a farmer from the state of Virginia and one of the fellow signers of the Constitution.   
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 03:59:25 PM »

At a speech in Charlottesville, leader of the Democratic-Republican faction James Madison started his party's campaign in the constituency of Charlottesville:
Quote from: Restricted
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 05:45:32 PM »
« Edited: July 11, 2018, 09:21:57 PM by sjoyce »

THE
Num.I
March 1789
W E S T E R N  H E R A L D
Offices: Lexington ★ Pittsburgh ★ Marietta ★ Nueva Orleans

An Election has transfix'd this nation, the most unfortunate resulte of the passing of the great General WASHINGTON being that no one man, stands fit to lead these UNITED STATES. A great PARLIAMENTARY EXPERIMENT shall be conducted, with the men of these states as the key players in this grand drama. The multitudinous states shall send DELEGATES to the City of Philadelphia, where matters of great import shall be determined by these states gathered in a NATIONAL ASSEMBLY.

Be as we may, accounting ourselves as citizens of VIRGINIA, PENNSYLVANIA, SOUTH CAROLINA, NEW YORK, MARYLAND, NORTH CAROLINA, or GEORGIA, when gathered in NATIONAL ASSEMBLY, those common interests uniting all who live in or over the great Allegheny Mountains present themselves, and make UNION a necessity. A new political MOVEMENT seeks to represent all those inhabitants of the Western portion of these American states. Led by GENERAL JAMES WILKINSON, hero of the victory of SARATOGA and a close ally of General WASHINGTON, this WESTERN FACTION is the sole party that seeks to guarantee PROSPERITY and DEMOCRACY for all peoples of the West.

This WESTERN FACTION shall dedicate itself wholeheartedly to ensuring that each and every man of the West shall have the right to sell his products as he may choose. Odious and oppressive TARIFFS presently strangle commerce, forcing the Western farmer or hunter to choose between an arduous journey east to sell his wares, and the taxes and duties which sap his wealth in New Orleans or Quebec, a choice which condemns him to POVERTY and DESTITUTION. The right to trade freely with whomever he wishes, without undue government imposition, is a fundamental liberty guaranteed to all free men, which the WESTERN FACTION seeks to guarantee.

This faction, in addition, is the only to guarantee FAIR REPRESENTATION for those men who today see their concerns DERIDED, DENIGRATED, SPAT UPON, and IGNORED by distant and disaffectionate legislatures in Richmond, New Bern, &c. The creation of SEPARATE, DISTINCT, and INDEPENDENT states has been attempted to remedie these grievances, and is indeed the sole remedie which shall deliver appropriate relief to these inhabitants. The WESTERN FACTION is the sole party committed to recognizing, and welcoming as brothers, FRANKLIN and KENTUCKY, guaranteeing those representatives in the SENATE as accord all equal states. General WILKINSON himself has participated in those conventions at Danville, aimed at securing co-equal status for the COMMONWEALTH of KENTUCKY, giving every inhabitant of these lands no reason to doubt his unflagging devotion to this cause, nor the sincerity of his support for the further settlement and development of the West.

While a variety of other parties and cliques may present themselves in the coming months, the true choice for the ballot of every Western man is the WESTERN FACTION.

Great speculation and intrigue accompanies these new ELECTIONS, as no clear favorite exists for the position of FIRST SECRETARY. While much discussion has surrounded the personages of elder statesmen Benjamin FRANKLIN and Samuel ADAMS, the editors of this fine periodical might humbly suggest that the National Assembly consider instead the young James MADISON. He has proven himself wise beyond his years, with his leadership in our Constitutional CONVENTION, and his unwavering commitment to the REPUBLICAN IDEAL will ensure the LIBERTY which so animated our REVOLUTIONARY SPIRIT will never be lost.

Just two weeks ago, in the city of CHARLOTTESVILLE, Mr. MADISON espoused his philosophy, stating that every member of his faction has pledged to “stand for the rights of every State of this Union,” for “the rights of the citizen and the farmer” and against that centralized government that was the origin of our REVOLUTION. While we at this fine paper can only hope that his dedication to the rights of the states will yet extent to the new states-to-be of the FRONTIER, his defense of INDIVIDUAL LIBERTY leaves us optimistic. Should his REPUBLICAN FACTION, alone or, as is more likely to be the case, in combination with the WESTERN FACTION and several other factions as yet to be determined, secure a majority in the NATIONAL ASSEMBLY, the HERALD is confident that the nation would face a secure and prosperous future.

Certain STIRRINGS IN FRANCE merit note. For the first time in nearly two centuries, the French King, LOUIS XVI, has summoned the ESTATES-GENERAL, a representative body, to address the debts of the French crown. The French, as every proud inhabitant of this land remembers, were instrumental in driving the loathsome BRITISH out of our lands. Much as our government has incurred certain debts, in the course of the REVOLUTION, so too has the French crown been burdened by the cost of war.

Our friend and ally, the MARQUIS de LAFAYETTE, who served alongside General WASHINGTON with nobility and distinction in the conclusive battle of YORKTOWN, a true ally of DEMOCRACY, suggested that the French King summon a NATIONAL ASSEMBLY, much like our own, to resolve that realm’s financial troubles. The KING, like all kings a thoroughly unpleasant tyrant, resisted this suggestion, going so far as to imprison PHILIPPE, his own relative and the Duc d’Orléans, for suggesting that the PEOPLE had some authority to resist the will of kings. Nevertheless, the King has concluded that he has no alternative, but to accept LAFAYETTE’S wise counsel, and summon the ESTATES-GENERAL to address the grievances of the public. Elections, not dissimilar to those elections which now preoccupy our states, are at this moment taking place in every District in France.

Unlike our National Assembly, however, these ESTATES-GENERAL do not reflect the will of the people in their totality. One quarter of the body is comprised of PAPIST CLERGY, in thrall to the POPE IN ROME. A further quarter are comprised of NOBLES, naturally opposed to the will of the common people. This assemblage of the common people, nevertheless, is an historic occasion, and the HERALD fervently prays that the people of FRANCE, true allies and long friends of the people of these UNITED STATES, will allow this spark of DEMOCRACY to grow into the flame of LIBERTY.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 05:54:24 PM »

_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 06:37:32 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2018, 01:34:00 PM by Not Senator Not Madigan »

The Patriot Star

Vol. I
Mar. 1789

The Choice for Freedom, Liberty, and Prosperity.

My fellow citizens of the South and the United States of America.  After the great revolution in which we all fought for freedom from the tyranny of Monarchs, and for the birth of a government that protects the rights and liberty of it's citizens, we are now faced with a choice.  This choice shall decide which direction we will go as a nation, whether the freedoms granted to the peoples of this nation shall be kept, and whether or not the interests of the Southern people are represented in this new government.  

The choices we face this election are as follows.  John Jay's Tories offer the people a return to a Monarchy, which I myself fought to free this country from.  They offer the tyranny of taxes, which would grow more and more burdensome until the nation collapses under them.  Finally the Tories offer "reconciliation" with Britain, which I can only envision as surrendering this newly born nation to the very oppression it fought to be free from.  

Alexander Hamilton and his cultists wish for the taxes and despotic rule of a central government, and for eliminating the ability of the people to govern their own affairs within their states.  The only difference between the Tories and Hamiltonians would be Hamilton's wish for the Tyranny of a National Bank over that of a Monarch.  

Benjamin Franklin and his Radicals have been vague in their wishes for a National Government, but they've left a hint of what they wish to do.  They wish to have the Government interfere in the affairs of Southern States in which slavery exists, going as far to call not only for an end to the slave trade, but as far as the "freedom of the womb" for slaves.  This is a gross interference of the federal government into the affairs of the individual states, the individual's right to the ownership of property, and would bring the Southern economy to ruin by destroying the institution that helps keep it's economy alive.  This shows that Mr. Franklin's Radicals wish for a central government to crush the economy of half the country, as well as trample upon the natural rights of the people of this country.

Finally, there are James Madison's Republicans.  They have chosen to spread lies about the Patriots already, insinuating that we would not defend this great nation of ours.  The Patriots would stand in defense of this nation against any security threat, however it is our belief that we should pursue the interests of our own Nation, rather than involving ourselves in the conflicts of European Monarchs, but should conflict come to our doorstep we shall meet it with the same tenacity as we did 14 years ago when our great revolution began.  Now to talk of the Republicans, they have chosen to take no real position on a Monarchy, stating that they only "lean in opposition" to a return of it.  They only "lean in opposition" to the tyranny we faced under King George, to the burdensome taxes, the trampling of our rights, and to the rule of one man rather than rule by consent of the people.  

I looked upon these choices and saw that none of these factions wish to protect the interests of the Southern people, their rights and liberty, and that none truly stand in opposition to the horror of a central government or a monarchy.  Which is why I created the Patriots, we will stand in all the constituencies of the South, firmly opposed to taxation, the return of a monarchy, and to the horrid idea of a national bank.  We will stand to protect the rights of the individual, for the liberty of the states and towns and their ability to govern their own affairs, and to represent the interests of the South in Government and for the interests of America as a whole in foreign affairs.  

The choice for myself is clear.  The one faction that shall represent the people and protect the rights we fought for in our revolution is the Patriots, and I call upon all Citizens of the southern states to join me in voting for them this election!

The leader of the Patriots
James Jackson

(OOC:  The Patriot Star is a newspaper, and shall be published in the states of Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia.)
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 07:20:30 PM »

A Call to Liberty and Equality
A Pamphlet of the Tories

In recent times, pamphlets have been circulated by Mr. Adams and Mr. Madison advocating for their positions in these upcoming election to the new National Assembly. While it is fine, encouraged, and even expected for a man to stand and promote his cause, it is a wholly different matter to spread lies, mistruths, and misinformation against one's opponents. In these early days of our new Republic, it is sad that men of once noble repute, like Mr. Adams and Mr. Madison, have fallen to such low levels of lies and deceit.

Mr. Adams claims that men of the Tories wish to return the nefarious King George III of Great Britain to power over our fair lands. This could not be further from the truth of the matter. George III violated, as the great Thomas Hobbes wrote, the contract with his people through disingenuous and unfair dealings with his American subjects. Our glorious Revolution was one fought on noble causes and by noble men against nefarious causes and nefarious men. No Englishman will ever reign over these lands again.

But is it such a terrible idea to extend an olive branch to George III? Is it wise to continue to make an enemy of the man who reigns in the lands to our North and could, if desired, raise a large army on days notice and wreak havoc amongst us once again? Remember, dear Patriots, how gruesome the days of the war were. Remember, dear Countrymen, how many of our own sons, brothers, and fathers perished in that war. Remember, dear Americans, how long and hard the fighting was. I, for one, have no desire to return to those dreadful days. This is why I call for a restoration of relations with the British, to save further American lives, rather than cause the slaughter of many more.

Our Republic is in its most trying times. We are young and fresh, just born onto this grand stage called humanity. Like a child just born of the womb, we need protection. We need a kind Mother, to care for our needs and to feed us. We need a strong Father, to protect us and teach us the ways. No nation could find its way into the world alone. For our Mother, we can turn to the British, the French, and the other established European powers, if they are made to be our allies. They have large trade networks that sprawl across the globe, crisscrossing continents, oceans, and peoples. Without such connections, our chances are grave for success in this grand experiment on which we endeavor.

For our Father, we are in a far more difficult position. The Father of our Republic, the great General Washington, had been taken from us at our most critical moment by God our Father. Had General Washington lived to see this day, I assure you I would be one of his men, standing beside him and working to ensure HE would be the man leading our Republic. But he is not with us. We are now tasked with finding a new Father to guide and nurture our new nation. This is why in my programme for government I express support for the monarchical form of government, because a monarch, acting within the social contract and by the will of the people governed, is a strong Father for the nation, uniting his people regardless of wealth or class or profession. No man would have stood and opposed bestowing a crown on General Washington.

The Convention chose not to have a monarch, an idea that I disagree with but consent to live under as a proud citizen, but did grant us the office of the Presidency. I envision the Presidency serving as a monarch in that respect, removed from the governing of the realm but very much a strong, vocal, and present figure in the lives and hearts of the citizens.

In my programme for governing, I called for an empowered Senate and a strong National Assembly, a truly National Government. Without such a Government, I believe, our days as a nation would be numbered. I believe it to be impractical and impossible for a nation to be ruled by small local governments while providing any claim of serious value to being advanced, developed, and strong. Look to the tribes of Africa, where each man is loyal to his chief and his chief alone, constantly fighting and quarrelling with the opposing tribe over water, grain, and land. Are they great nations? Are they the pride of the world? Do men envy to live amongst them? No!

The governments advocated for by Mr. Adams and Mr. Madison would divide our great Republic along such lines. Men of Massachusetts would go to war with the men of New Hampshire for access to the Atlantic Ocean, while Georgia and South Carolina are locked in a bloody struggle for farmland. That is not the nation General Washington fought for. General Washington fought for a strong nation, a united nation, where all men could live together as one. Where men can build off each other and work with each other to unlock our true greatness as a nation and as a people.

General Washington would have been a Tory, had he lived to see this day. Do General Washington proud and cast your ballot paper for your Tory candidate.

In liberty and with deference to the Almighty Lord, God,
x
John Jay
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 07:25:21 PM »

The Republican Standard
The Voice of The People
Vol. I
Mar. 1787
          Now upon us all is an opportunity to Shape the nature of our Government for generations to come. In these Inaugural elections to the National Parliament, in constituencies all across our Union, we as voters will be Entrusted with the power to decide who shall form the next National Government and who will be the first Secretary of our Nation. We, as the Editors of this fine Newspaper, find no option better than the Republicans to lead our Nation into the next stage as we Form a new America.

The Republican interest is not only concerned with the Rights of the common People, as with their Pledge to the States to pursue Amendments to our National Constitution to Guarantee the rights of the common citizen, but also Republicans standing in constituencies in every State shall also be concerned with the recent threats to our Nation's survival with the Reckless nature of the Tory Party, suggesting we shall embark into another Monarchy! These folk not only will Secure the Downfall of the United Government, but also the arrival of the British back to our shores! In fact, these Unpatriotic Tories can be quoted as saying that extending Peace to George III is not a lofty Idea!

But also, Republicans will stand vigilant against the Patriots, who have remarked that they do not Guarantee protections for our Allies, a dangerous military practice, but furthermore, these men who call themselves Patriots only support the interests of people in the South! Do not mistake our Reasoning, we do Support the Rights of Southerners. However, we also think that Northerners do qualify for the same Rights and Protections as their Southern counterparts! These so-called Patriots think otherwise!

Citizens, the only Assurance of the protection of our way of life is through the Ballot, which shall be held in a very short Time. Only by marking your Ballot for the Republican candidate shall these United States be protected from tyranny, incompetent Rule, and the collapse of our Government.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 07:51:39 PM »

From  THURSDAY,   JANUARY  1,—to  MONDAY,  JANUARY  5,   1789.

THE QUESTION STATED.
It is stated everywhere that Mr. Hancock is elected President of the U.S. in consequence of the votes of the electors lately cast, and that his choice was by a sizable majority. The high character of the President-elect commends him to the post, and Massachusetts rejoices to see her native son, so eminently distinguished by the service he rendered the cause of his Country in the course of the late war, elevated to the chief magistracy of the Union.
       That Hancock is a Whig of pronounced integrity is well known to all, and it may be trusted that his presidency will not assume a monarchic character, however much the British Tory faction may aspire to that image. He will carry out the administration of the government in the most proper and disinterested manner; those political questions will be left to the legislature and their ministers, as it ought to be in a republic. The choice of the first Secretary is therefore justly the object of much public speculation, for on that choice will rest the character of the government and so the fate of the federal Union. A number of candidatures have been proposed for public consideration, as is the habit of this age. Of the names usually mentioned, we pronounce Mr. Jay and Mr. Hamilton wholly unacceptable: the one for his slavish devotion to Monarchism, the other for his doting cultivation of the monied interests in this Country. Neither one may be trusted to leave our Republican Constitution undisturbed for long: for as quickly as Jay would place his countrymen in vassalage to a foreign Prince, and establish an absolute Despotism over these States; so Hamilton maintains the monarchy of the dollar and the elevation of speculators and advertisers over the yeomen of New England, the Middle States, and the South.
     Mr. Franklin and Mr. Madison may at least be trusted as honest Republicans; but the one is of advancing age and infirm health, so ill that he cannot walk far from his place of residence but must be carried through the streets in a sedan chair. "Jem" Madison may not be said to have this fault, for indeed, he is so young that a matron of less than forty years might easily mistake him for her schoolboy son, tardy after lessons. There is promise in him, but no learning—he will have to study the ways of government before he may be made the head of it.
     But the name by far the most often raised is that of Mr. Samuel Adams. If there is any many equal in eminence, in character, or who may with more justice claim to be the Father of the Revolution, save immortal Washington, he has gone unnoticed by his Country's eye. Most disinterested is he in the outcome of the election for his personal position, we ask, can he be so disinterested in the fate of his Country? Already the enemies of the Republic and of honest Religion make known their hostility. If we are to have a Republican administration, it must be under the stewardship of one who has proved his Patriotism in the fires of war and who has stood nigh thirty years in defense of his Country's Liberty. Adams is the only name who can command the respect of all Americans.
     The question may be stated plainly: will we have Adams, Liberty, and True Religion; or instead Monarchy, Slavery, and Idolatry? Or otherwise, Will the Revolution Stand?
Boobs
HCP

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 08:05:28 PM »

Charter of the Radicals

terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 08:10:06 PM »
« Edited: June 27, 2018, 09:12:35 PM by terp40hitch »

Num.II
January 1789

The Patriot Star

The Choice for Freedom, Liberty, and Prosperity.

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 08:28:57 PM »

_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2018, 08:53:24 PM »

Madison's Siren Song
Pamphlet by the Patriots

In the past few days, Madison's Republicans have decided to again launch attacks against our faction, and we wish to address them now.  The Republicans have attacked us for our foreign policy views, in which which we've called for general neutrality in foreign affairs.  However we have not called for the abandonment of our Allies, we have only called for the advancement of American interests in our foreign affairs and a general neutrality in foreign conflicts.  Unlike the Republicans, we wish for this nation to do it's own bidding, and act for it's own interests and benefit in foreign affairs, rather than be a dog of some foreign power, joining whatever wars they wish to involve us in.

The second attack which they subjected our faction to was quite interesting.  They wish to insinuate that holding the interests of the south at heart is a harmful thing, and that we wish to only have protections of rights and liberty for southerners.  Nowhere did we even suggest that the people of the north should not have the same rights as southerners, in fact we called for the protection of the natural rights of the individual, and wish for them to be enshrined in the constitution so that no man in this nation may have their rights taken away from them, regardless of the region in which they reside.  In addition, the insinuation that holding the interests of the south at heart is harmful is completely false.  The interests of the south are quite unique, given the institution upon which our economy is based as well as the various citizens of the southern states.  These factors lead us to believe that the people of the south should have their interests protected by a truly southern faction, one that is strong and united in purpose and will always stand for the people of the south.

Southerners, James Madison's siren song may sound appealing at first, but in the end it fails to address the issues of the south, and will fail to hold our people's interests at heart.  In government, the Patriots will protect the southern economy, the rights of the states and towns, oppose any efforts to restore a monarchy, and oppose efforts to centralize our government.  We will fight to make sure our government protects the rights of all it's citizens, that in foreign affairs American interests are held at heart, and make sure the freedoms the revolution brought this great nation shall remain unfettered for all time.

For freedom, liberty, prosperity, and the protection of natural rights and southern interests, I urge my fellow southerners to mark your ballot for the Patriots this election!

The leader of the Patriots
James Jackson

Boobs
HCP

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2018, 09:12:45 PM »

The Pennsylvania Gazette

Galaxie

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2018, 10:03:28 PM »

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2018, 10:19:08 PM »

The Federalist

wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2018, 11:34:53 PM »

The Republican Standard
The Voice of The People
Vol. II
Mar. 1789
          As you fine Citizens may have noticed, it is the Radical and Patriot Factions that have viciously attacked our values and our Leader over the past Week. As Republicans, in particular to the Attacks brought on by the mouthpiece of the Radicals, the Pennsylvania Gazette, we are Outraged at these Baseless and substance-free quarrels of the Editors of that establishment, who we presume to be Mr. Franklin himself. And Furthermore we are outraged when we Hear he shall attack our Leader without source, when he himself shall be involved in Scandalous activities, as is well Known to you all. For the record, while Madison stands attacked without any Base, Franklin stands Accused of more heinous crimes, and for this Reason, we, the Editors at the Republican Standard, shall say that Mr. Franklin has no Base to stand on.

Furthermore, we shall call upon the Hypocrisy of the Patriots, and more Specifically, of candidate James Gunn. Gunn Attacked Mr. Madison with the rebuttal that the Patriots stood for Liberty and Freedom of the People. Do tell, Mr. Gunn, what such Freedom and Liberty shall be in the South, a Region that supports the Rights of the States, as we do as Republicans, what such Freedoms shall be when you yourself Support the Expansion of the Central State as a Federalist. You do not Uphold the same beliefs in the Rights of Southern and Northern States as your Faction does, then why shall You, a Hypocrite on these Remarks, which we shall say, are very Unpopular remarks given the Southern drive for Freedom of the States, criticize Mr. Madison for lies and Inconsistency?

It is now fully Apparent that only the Republicans will stand True to States' Rights in the South, given such Disunity in the faction of the Patriots. Southerners, Unite for the common cause of patriotism, not just for the Union, but for the States, and cast your Ballots for the Republican interest!
Galaxie

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2018, 01:27:14 AM »

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2018, 02:24:19 AM »

From  THURSDAY,   JANUARY  8,—to  MONDAY,  JANUARY  13,   1789.

TO THE CHARACTER OF JOHN JAY, Eſq.
Mr. John Jay, Esq., of New York, who pronounces himself the herald of Monarchsim and British Toryism, is of the 6th inst. embarked on a tour through several of the States and districts wherein elections for the National Assembly are to be held. We are told that the expressed purpose of this tour, is to agitate his deluded supporters, and do all manner of things which may be necessary to procure the election of Mr. Jay as first Secretary of these States united; that furthermore Mr. Jay has personally recommended himself as a candidate for deputy from the City of New York; and that his agents are now at this moment wrenching, twisting, and purchasing votes to ensure his selection. In light of these facts, we are forced to question whether there has ever been on this Continent so brazen a display of avarice and private ambition on the part of a candidate for an office of public trust. It may be Mr. Jay, whose stated political principle is to concentrate all political authority in the hands of one mortal, finds nothing objectionable in this gross personal appeal for his own election; but those honest Republicans who hold by the disinterested procession of free elections must pause to wonder whether any man who so boldly proffers himself as a candidate for office has any of the humility or Republican virtue to be entrusted with the first Secretaryship?

THOUGHTS ON GOVERNMENT.
It is lately proposed, by various agents of the British Tory faction, that only a strong government endowed with supreme power over the States may command the respect of the people necessary to ensure their safety and happiness. Is is predicted by these unhappy doomsday-tellers, that unless the federal Power is vested with coercive authority equal or even greater than that claimed by Parliament in the years immediately preceding our declaration of Independency, that the Union should be dissolved, and the people subjected to the horrors of civil war. In short, it is proposed that the surest safeguard for our Liberty, is Despotism. We cannot admit this argument, any more than the goodly Puritan might, for the sake of the protection of the Protestant faith, accept his total subjugation to the Church in Rome.
     We maintain that Liberty and Self-government are one and inseparable; that the future prosperity of these States, and indeed the life of our federal Union, depends on the careful balancing of power between the States, and the central authority. Total investment of supreme political power in either one or the other would surely cause the rupture of the Union and bring about the very horrors of violence and civil war as Mr. Jay and his agents profess to despair against. It may be admitted by all, that our Union is one of diverse interests, carefully joined for mutual benefit. If all power is vested in the central authority, the sections would be forced into conflict to preserve their interests against the others. In the least of quarrels, this would promote ill-trust and ill-will among the sections; at worst, one or many States, finding themselves unable to further resist their subjugation by the other, would be left no choice but to defend their position with force of arms.
     It is the weakest of the animals who roars the loudest, and so a government which rules by fear or by force is in its substance weaker than that which rules by compromise and reason. To vest all power in the few, for fear of the many, is neither stronger nor wiser than to vest all authority in the many, for fear of the few. Power and interests must be carefully balanced against each other, so that no person, nor section may threaten to infringe the Liberty of the other. It is the wisdom of our federal Constitution to organize itself upon this principle of balance, so that neither any branch of the central government, nor the central government in relation to the States, may overpower or abuse the other.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2018, 03:02:10 PM »

The Patriot Star
Vol. II
Mar. 1789
My fellow Citizens, it appears the editors of the "Republican Standard" have had an intriguing experience within the past few days.  It is the belief of this paper that the editors of the "Republican Standard" partook in the consumption of substances which transferred their minds to an alternate realm in which their erroneous attacks upon James Gunn were actually true.  However, in our real world, James Gunn has stood for the rights of the states, against federal taxation, against the expansion of Central Government, and firmly against forcing a monarchy upon our nation.  He is a proud member of the Patriot faction and has stood firmly for it's principles, and shall stand for them in government should he be elected.

The Republicans may consume as many substances as they wish in the hopes of their hallucinations becoming reality, however it is clear that they shall never be true.  What is true is that the Republicans have failed to take a firm position on a number of issues, including opposition to a monarchy, and foreign policy.  The Patriots however, have made their stances firm and clear, and no amount of attacks on the faction's members will change that. 

For a government committed to the rights of the states, for protection of the natural rights of all Americans, for firm opposition to a monarchy and expansion of central government, for a foreign policy in the interests of America and not foreign powers, and for a true representation and protection of Southern interests in government, the choice is clear.  Southerners, cast your ballots for the Patriots this election!
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2018, 05:01:33 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2018, 05:12:46 PM by terp40hitch »

James Gunn
for
Augusta

Fighting for Freedom, Liberty and Propserty

Support the Patriot Faction

• The Patriot Party is the only party representing southern values. The other factions especially the Democrat-Republicans may claim that they represent the South but their loyalty lies in Boston and Philadelphia, not in Augusta or Savannah.
  • Only the Patriot faction has taken a firm supportive stance on slavery. The other would rather dance around the topic, that is not what the south needs is leadership in our new nation. We won't dance around such an important issue. Slavery is important for the farms and plantations in the south that rely on, not only slavery but the slave trade too.
  • The Patriot faction is the only faction that will take a firm stance against monarchs. Again, the Democrat-Republicans and young James Madison rather make a ballad out of this issue too. We may never know where they stand as long as they keep this dance around issues up.
  • The Tories and Hamiltiontians want to create new federal taxes and create a large oppressive government like the one we fought against just years ago. The Patriot faction believes in states rights and is strongly against creating a federal tax and creating an impossible to control central government.
  • The Patriots are firm against continuing to grow our national debt and unlike the Democrat-Republicans, we've already laid out a plan to solve it, through the selling of land to settlers we will eliminate our national debt and expand our nation.
  • The Patriots have a radical idea for foreign policy, different from Democrat-Republicans, put the interests of America before other foreign powers, and be neutral in foreign conflicts. There is no reason Americans should be dragged into the wars of the European monarchs.
  • The Patriot faction will never infringe upon the constitution or natural rights

There is only one clear choice for the South

This pamphlet will be passed out at the final Gunn speech as written in the schedule and it will be passed out during election day
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2018, 05:23:22 PM »

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2018, 07:39:04 PM »

From  THURSDAY,   JANUARY  15,—to  MONDAY,  JANUARY  20,   1789.

ON LIBERTY.
It is frequently observed, that "those who would give up Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Security, deserve neither Liberty nor Security." In this light we may consider the prospect which Mr. Jay and Colonel Hamilton present the nation. As they put it, our federal Union should not long survive unless it were subjected either to the despotic rule of a foreign Prince, or the equally tyrannical governance of the monied interests. We are told that the United States are a young Country, weakened, bankrupt, and defenseless, who must therefore sell themselves in Slavery in order to purchase some semblance of Peace and Stability. The loss of our Liberty, and the utter subjugation of these States to an absolute central authority, is, in their telling, small price to pay for the Security which may be surely found in the warm embrace of Mother Britain.
     Against this gloomy augury we humbly protest. It has been the late experience of this Country, and indeed the experience of all Mankind, that Liberty is never safest but in a Republic; and there is no surer guarantee of wealth and Prosperity, than free institutions sustained by honest Patriots. To those who now agitate for the adoption of a Monarchy, or a presidency of monarchic character, we pose the question: was not Rome greatest, her People happiest, her farmers and shop-keepers most Prosperous, when she was ruled by a Republic? And what, to continue, followed the establishment in that city of a Dictatorship? —murder, violence, public unrest, and civil war. Will the British Tory faction be so absurd as to contend, that Rome was freer or more Prosperous under the rule of Caesar and Sulla, than when its government was carried out by true Republicans?
     Nothing can so thoroughly disturb the friendship of these States or cause the forfeit of our Liberty than the investment of absolute power in a central authority—whether that authority is known as King or Broker is of no consequence. Only by the careful distribution of Power between the central government and the several States, so that no interest or section may by seizing one, control the whole, may we judge our Liberty secure and our Union made perpetual. While grievances may be aired freely through the Courts and regular elections for the Legislature, the Country is at Peace; but remove that—abolish elections, subvert the Legislature beneath the dominion of the Executive, place the British monied interests at the head of the Country—and no mortal can hold back the crushing tide of civil War.

ON THE RIGHTS OF STATES.
It is asked ceaselessly by the agents of the British Tory faction, why we continue to insist that the rights of each of the several States be respected under the new government. The answer, is that the States are the surest and natural repository for our Liberty, and the organs most fitted to procure our Safety and Happiness. America is a large Country, of greatest diversity between its sections. It may not be expected that the central authority may know the wants and needs of the People, as intimately as they may be known and appreciated in their own States; nor could any federal Government be expected to address these wants as immediately and appropriately as may the States. What does a Virginian planter know about the business of a New England fisherman? and indeed what does the fisherman know of the business of the farmer? Each lives in perfect friendship with the other, to defend each other's hearth in War, and to supply with their abundance that which the other lacks; but neither seeks to meddle in the affairs of the other, nor cross their threshold uninvited, lest their friendship be severed and an unhappy hostility assumed. As our States may be equals, then is Peace and Concord within our federal Union ensured; but disturb the balance between the States and the federal Power, to the advantage of the latter, and this pacificity will end more sharply than a Joiner's file.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2018, 08:08:58 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies