Should There be a Revote on Brexit?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:07:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Should There be a Revote on Brexit?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Poll
Question: Should Britons be able to have a revote on Brexit?
Briton: Yes

Briton: No

Non-Briton: Yes

Non-Briton: No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 161

Author Topic: Should There be a Revote on Brexit?  (Read 7981 times)
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2019, 09:48:43 PM »

We should have a second vote, and then when we vote to remain, the leavers will demand best out of three, and then a fourth and fifth, every year for the rest of time. It could be like a new British tradition, national referendum day!

First, welcome to Atlas!

Secondly, I love your username.  Smiley

Thx, good to be here, also yeah I do think America should join us again, I mean we're gonna need some new friends after March Wink
#NoRepublicanismNoUnity

That might be a sticking point but I'll have a chat with Liz, also you guys are cool with taxation without representation right?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2019, 10:09:03 PM »

We should have a second vote, and then when we vote to remain, the leavers will demand best out of three, and then a fourth and fifth, every year for the rest of time. It could be like a new British tradition, national referendum day!

First, welcome to Atlas!

Thx, good to be here, also yeah I do think America should join us again, I mean we're gonna need some new friends after March Wink

How about Americanizing Britain instead
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2019, 10:20:44 PM »

First, welcome to Atlas!

We're already pretty Americanised, but anyway I think we'll pass on that offer
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2019, 06:53:02 PM »

I support a vote on no deal vs Theresa May's deal, but whether or not we're leaving has already been decided.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2019, 05:24:24 PM »

First, welcome to Atlas!

We're already pretty Americanised, but anyway I think we'll pass on that offer

If you spell it "Americanised" you're clearly not Americanized enough. Tongue
rc18
United Kingdom

« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2019, 10:41:25 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2019, 10:46:54 PM by rc18 »

If Remainers wanted to smash the UK economy they'd vote Leave.

A wonderfully glib comment.  But the fact remains that it doesn't take much for many of those who express support for remain to reveal anti-British sentiment. For some, usually a subset of leftwing anti-Westerners, they saw the EU as diluting the "anglo-saxon" worlds influence, so the vote to leave unleashes their contempt. For others it is an elitist counter-peasant revolt, a kind of cynical response to loss of power that reveals little actual care for the UK, only their position. This is not a new observation.  Matthew Goodwin wrote a good article on the subject of Brexit including;

You must be logged in to read this quote.
https://quillette.com/2018/08/03/britains-populist-revolt/

Project fear is turning out to be project fact and they don't care.

You have no idea what facts are as discussed below.  Besides under which scenario did Project Fear predict probable recessions in Germany, France etc. but not in Brexit Britain?  We were meant to be in recession merely for having the temerity to vote to leave, let alone actually act on it.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-6578731/Recession-stalks-eurozone-Germany-France-stall-just-ECB-ends-quantitative-easing.html

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jan/08/its-not-brexit-britain-most-likely-to-suffer-recession-its-germany

Your faith is completely detaching you from reality.

And it wasn't some lone individual. It was someone who knew full well what they were doing who had been influenced by the language of Brexit supporters who paint remainers as traitors, saboteurs, and every other name under the sun.

So it was one lone individual then.

Even Brexiteers like Owen Jones get threatened. Why? Because they're the wrong sort of brexiteer. They're not racist and happen to be gay.

What?!

Why are you making such an absurd, blatant, and easily refutable lie?

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1010934366300786688
You must be logged in to read this quote.

700,000 Remainers marched peacefully throughout London.

Check your facts, even the pro-EU GLA says it was far less than that.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/01/05/peoples-vote-march-attended-third-number-organisers-claimed/

But sure, Remainers are the more awful people who must be stopped.

All you've demonstrated is you cannot structure a coherent argument in favour of your attitude without lies and misrepresentation.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2019, 04:49:31 AM »

I think we should take the Lord Buckethead approach. That is; there should be a referendum on whether there should be another referendum.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2019, 10:20:09 PM »

I think yes, but it should have been stated before the first Brexit vote. In the 1995 Quebec referendum the first vote was about authorizing the Quebec government to start separation or autonomy talks with the feds. There was supposed to be a second referendum on if Quebec would accept or not the provincial government's new deal with Canada. With Brexit there should have been a second vote on the final deal.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2019, 10:32:08 PM »

tag yourself I'm wanting a foreign country's economy to be devastated so that that country will implement your preferred foreign and trade policies towards other foreign countries
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2019, 02:42:56 PM »

Yes.
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2019, 03:10:06 PM »

No, Brexit means Brexit. Understand?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2019, 03:32:51 PM »

Yes because Brexit is bad and therefore anything that could block it is good.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2019, 07:26:34 PM »

tag yourself I'm wanting a foreign country's economy to be devastated so that that country will implement your preferred foreign and trade policies towards other foreign countries

Huh

Whom are you referring to?
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2019, 07:34:45 PM »

Huh

Whom are you referring to?

Blairite, the Californian who's "looking forward to the UK getting its economy smashed".
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2019, 07:47:29 PM »

Again, just get out of the EU, keep the Norway model provisionally, and hold a new referendum on that vs No Deal. Win-win.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2019, 08:34:06 PM »

There must be consequences. You can't just make such a decision and then say "well, wait, we've changed out mind". It is both immature and disrespectful toward a democratic process.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2019, 12:12:54 AM »

There must be consequences. You can't just make such a decision and then say "well, wait, we've changed out mind". It is both immature and disrespectful toward a democratic process.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2019, 01:19:03 AM »

Some of you might do well to remember that Brexit is something that is going to have a huge human cost.

As it stands it's going to break up families, destroy livelihoods and so on. But sure, Britain should go through with it because I've got a bunch of facile clichés to flog
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2019, 03:42:36 AM »

Again, just get out of the EU, keep the Norway model provisionally, and hold a new referendum on that vs No Deal. Win-win.

The Norway model doesn't deal with the Irish border issue, because Norway isn't in the Customs Union.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2019, 03:48:42 AM »

Some of you might do well to remember that Brexit is something that is going to have a huge human cost.

As it stands it's going to break up families, destroy livelihoods and so on. But sure, Britain should go through with it because I've got a bunch of facile clichés to flog

This.

Given how vague the choice in the original referendum was, I think it is also perfectly reasonable to have a second vote to confirm the decision once it is reasonably clear what "Leave" actually means.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2019, 05:47:51 AM »

This.

Given how vague the choice in the original referendum was, I think it is also perfectly reasonable to have a second vote to confirm the decision once it is reasonably clear what "Leave" actually means.

Agreed
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2019, 07:18:36 AM »

Brexit is a disaster. However you look, the prospects for the UK outside Europe are anything but bright. The Britons who voted Brexit made a decision based on fake news and incorrect data. The Parliament voted against the deal and there are no feasible alternatives, only 'hard Brexit' and pain. Why not giving them the chance to reverse their decision or make the same mistake again?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2019, 07:28:06 AM »

Just consider one immediate issue: if there is a 'No Deal' situation, then there will be a bottleneck and a backlog at Dover and all the ports because of the extra time required to process everything. This won't last for particularly long in the grand scheme of things, not even in the worst case scenario, but many pharmaceuticals are imported, including insulin. This is not a game.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2019, 08:01:27 AM »

A revote would mean that the cosmopolitan class will truly never take no for an answer and that the EU truly is Hotel California: you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave. It would essentially mean that democracy in Britain is no more - not that it is presumably any better in other EU countries.

Of course, if this happens, God forbid, it would be mostly because of delusional Brexiteer fools in the Conservative party who think May's perfectly fine deal isn't good enough, who think the UK can just replace its EU trade relations with some Commonwealth countries that don't even produce what Britain needs.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2019, 09:34:09 AM »

I'm increasingly sure another referendum is essential to get us out of the logjam, although not a revote per se. If I was May and wanted to deliver Brexit what I'd do is put my vote up to a public vote, in effect daring the Hard Brexit wing to publicly campaign alongside arch remainers and imperil Brexit itself. The hope there would be that the public is so sick of Brexit and yammering all day about whether Tory MPs have bigger boners for European flags or Union Jacks that we will just vote yes and never have to concern ourselves with this tedious debate ever again.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies