Democrats: Do you support "open borders"?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 02:26:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Democrats: Do you support "open borders"?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Do you support open borders?
Yes
No
No but I support comprehensive immigration reform
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Democrats: Do you support "open borders"?  (Read 3127 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2018, 04:42:34 PM »

Lol
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2018, 06:15:55 PM »

A thread just below here asks if Dems have lost touch with the WWC. This thread provides some evidence of why that may have happened. At least to a degree.
I think that thread is asking about Democratic politcians, donors, the DNC, the party platform, etc., not Democratic voters.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2018, 06:18:43 PM »

When did "was born in the same country as me" become a prerequisite for being considered part of the working class, exactly?

Agreed. Whenever I hear that "the left has abandoned the working class because of inmigration" I always wonder what happened to stuff like "the internationale" and "Workers of the world, unite".

Because they understand communism is evil (at least the mainstream left does)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2018, 04:09:44 PM »

Only the Koch brothers who want to drive down wages want open borders.
The fact that 30% of the Dems (the supposed working class party) in this forum are even entertaining the notion makes me want to barf.

Sorry, but I am strongly opposed to identity politics (nationalism) etc and believe the working class should unite against the global elite.
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2018, 09:11:43 PM »

No, because it would hurt our sovereignty. I think what Trump is doing now is disgusting and I think building a wall goes against everything we stand for, with that said we do need to strengthen our boarder security.  To do so, I would reduce the number of Boarder entries/checkpoints to two in Texas, two in Arizona, and two in California and have an increased amount of Boarder patrol agents at those six remaining checkpoints. The entries/checkpoints in New Mexico and Nevada would be fenced off and guard towers would be built at those so that we can stop anyone from trying to climb the fences. Sanctuary Cities would be put to and end to.

Once that's done, I'd give the DREAMers amnesty, put anyone else that's already here that hasn't got a criminal record on a pathway to Citizenship, they'd also have to pay back taxes as well. Finally, you change the immigration process so that it's cheaper and takes less time to become a citizen or to get refugee status.
this would work for me
WritOfCertiorari

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2018, 11:27:47 PM »

Does anyone agree that it's strange that until 2 years ago, I thought open borders meant that people are allowed to legal cross it?

Like, "In 1989, when the Erich Honecker government of East Germany lost power, the border was opened. Thousands of Germans were already crossing into the West because Czechoslovakia opened the border."

I still don't fully understand what the new "open border" is supposed to mean other than it sounds scary and as a Democrat I'm supposed to support it.

I think what's it's actually supposed to mean is automatic permanent visas to anyone who wants to enter (outside of criminals, or people who have contagious diseases, I guess), which in my book is close to the worst possible "solution" for this issue.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2018, 04:20:07 AM »

Yes (sane, takes freedom of movement seriously).
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2018, 06:07:17 AM »

Does anyone agree that it's strange that until 2 years ago, I thought open borders meant that people are allowed to legal cross it?

Like, "In 1989, when the Erich Honecker government of East Germany lost power, the border was opened. Thousands of Germans were already crossing into the West because Czechoslovakia opened the border."

I still don't fully understand what the new "open border" is supposed to mean other than it sounds scary and as a Democrat I'm supposed to support it.

Open borders is supposed to mean  basically how the EU works. So you can move from one country to another and live and work there almost without restrictions.

If the US had open borders for example anyone could book a flight to the US and start living there.
Ohioguy29

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2018, 03:43:02 PM »

Free Speech Hawk said everything I have to say on this topic. We need to tighten our borders, and I find the "open borders" crowd worrisome.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2018, 04:02:21 PM »

Many Leftists somehow support amnesty for illegal immigrants  but oppose H1B visas

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2018, 09:43:16 PM »

If open borders means allowing everyone who wants to come here to do so then absolutely not. I don't see how anyone could argue that wouldn't be absolutely catastrophic.

The argument in favor is usually moral posturing about how we don't have the right to treat people differently just because they were born elsewhere, and there is a reason their camp sticks to that. You are absolutely right that the consequences of an open borders policy would be disastrous, and there is simply no good reason to entertain the idea.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2018, 10:02:04 PM »

No, because it would hurt our sovereignty. I think what Trump is doing now is disgusting and I think building a wall goes against everything we stand for, with that said we do need to strengthen our boarder security.  To do so, I would reduce the number of Boarder entries/checkpoints to two in Texas, two in Arizona, and two in California and have an increased amount of Boarder patrol agents at those six remaining checkpoints. The entries/checkpoints in New Mexico and Nevada would be fenced off and guard towers would be built at those so that we can stop anyone from trying to climb the fences. Sanctuary Cities would be put to and end to.

Once that's done, I'd give the DREAMers amnesty, put anyone else that's already here that hasn't got a criminal record on a pathway to Citizenship, they'd also have to pay back taxes as well. Finally, you change the immigration process so that it's cheaper and takes less time to become a citizen or to get refugee status.
this would work for me

Does this work for anyone else???
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2018, 10:26:14 PM »

I feel that something like the Schengen Area only works when it wouldn't result in massive-scale migration that would overwhelm things. US could probably do this with Canada cuz migration between us and Canada is very small and manageable, but with Mexico or Central America it probably wouldn't. That said, I also think Schengen works cuz European countries want a transnational European identity; America seems to prefer an identity separate from Canada or Mexico.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2018, 10:54:34 PM »

Many Leftists somehow support amnesty for illegal immigrants  but oppose H1B visas

I don't support amnesty, but these are completely different issues.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2018, 05:40:35 AM »

One thing that is an issue though (including with the EU) is that it is problematic to have a very large and electorally disenfranchised immigrant underclass, who do work/contribute taxes but have no representation. It's why I think all EU citizens should be able to vote in general elections of any country they reside in (ideally all residents would be able to vote in any country they reside in, but that might go too far for some people).
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2018, 08:35:49 AM »

Open borders is supposed to mean  basically how the EU works. So you can move from one country to another and live and work there almost without restrictions.

If the US had open borders for example anyone could book a flight to the US and start living there.

I think the correct term is "no borders".
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2018, 07:50:19 PM »

It's something that could happen in the future but for now, comprehensive immigration reform is more practical, appealing, and realistic.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2018, 09:30:24 PM »

Actual open borders is a completely insane policy proposal which apart from any cultural impact would immiserate millions of people by obliterating social services and crippling any redistributive programmes. Zero clue how any sane leftist could support the idea.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies