Italian Elections and Politics 2022 - Our Time to Schlein (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:39:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Italian Elections and Politics 2022 - Our Time to Schlein (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Italian Elections and Politics 2022 - Our Time to Schlein  (Read 173604 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: September 27, 2022, 07:23:31 AM »

I guess LePen should of run in Italy.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2022, 10:15:35 AM »

Looks like she just lost a lot of her American online fans

The rest of us are taking what we can to put Putin's army in the ground.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2022, 07:59:07 AM »

What can she realistically accomplish? I mean, its not like her Government is going pass a fetal heartbeat law, Right to Work, Open Carry, the flat tax, bring back executions, their version of AZ SB 1070, the sunsetting of pensions and public health, Private Prisons, and Don't Say Gay, right? But I imagine there could be things going on in Italy that are just as bad if not worse, even if they don't touch most of these areas.

I think you get my point. What are the likely or reasonably possible consequences?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2022, 02:16:38 PM »

What can she realistically accomplish? I mean, its not like her Government is going pass a fetal heartbeat law, Right to Work, Open Carry, the flat tax, bring back executions, their version of AZ SB 1070, the sunsetting of pensions and public health, Private Prisons, and Don't Say Gay, right? But I imagine there could be things going on in Italy that are just as bad if not worse, even if they don't touch most of these areas.

I think you get my point. What are the likely or reasonably possible consequences?

Again. Humor me as the ignorant but curious person here but what will this likely mean? What’s on the table? Do we have enough information to determine what they are going do?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2022, 02:31:53 PM »

Again. Humor me as the ignorant but curious person here but what will this likely mean? What’s on the table? Do we have enough information to determine what they are going do?

We don't, no. We can safely assume she'll do some pretty heinous stuff, but speculating on what exactly is a fool's errand. Meloni is very right-wing, but she's also shown a lot of pragmatism and seems to be going out of her way to reassure the EU, so in terms of social policy she will probably choose her battlefields carefully.

Also, most of the stuff you cited are very America-specific issues that aren't even discussed in Italy at all. The Italian right bears some similarity with the US right, but not nearly that much.

When does Meloni take over? I remember it took like three months to decide on Conte after 2018 but with such as big win it might be different?

It shouldn't take nearly as long, unless the rift with Salvini gets a lot worse than it looks right now. The right-wing parties have already agreed to govern together long before the elections, so all that's left to do now is hash out the details of who gets what. By contrast, M5S and Lega were starting from scratch in 2018 and needed time to feel each other out on pretty much everything.

One symbolic but important thing to consider is that we're coming up on the 100-year anniversary of the March on Rome, on October 28. Meloni will probably want to be all set up at least a week before that, so as to avoid any unfortunate parallels.

Thanks for humoring me. Looks like there is going to be some "exciting events" out of Italy, if you use jaichiand's parlance.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies