Italian Elections and Politics 2022 - Our Time to Schlein
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:37:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Italian Elections and Politics 2022 - Our Time to Schlein
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 80
Author Topic: Italian Elections and Politics 2022 - Our Time to Schlein  (Read 169906 times)
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: January 13, 2021, 12:50:30 PM »

BREAKING:

Italy's government has just fallen apart.

Not sure what Renzi thinks he will win with this, but whatever. He's not even popular. He should spend his time playing Wheel of Fortune, but he seems to be bad at that as he is in politics.

Is it true that Berlusconi could save Conte? I've read that somewhere.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #576 on: January 13, 2021, 12:50:34 PM »

HOLY MARY!

Anyway, this is apparently the beginning of a government crisis, but the possible scenarios are theoretically endless, so don't run too fast.

Also lol, even Reuters calls Renzi's party tiny!

@Antonio moment for a thread title update I guess
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #577 on: January 13, 2021, 12:51:53 PM »

Not sure what Renzi thinks he will win with this, but whatever. He's not even popular. Is it true that Berlusconi could save Conte? I've read that somewhere.

It's theoretically possible, and it would be hilarious in a bad way, but I have no idea what Berlusconi actually thinks of all of this.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #578 on: January 13, 2021, 12:55:11 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2021, 12:59:15 PM by Mike88 »

Not sure what Renzi thinks he will win with this, but whatever. He's not even popular. Is it true that Berlusconi could save Conte? I've read that somewhere.

It's theoretically possible, and it would be hilarious in a bad way, but I have no idea what Berlusconi actually thinks of all of this.
Well, if he somehow saves Conte during this awful period, we can probably say, very, very quietly: "Menomale che Silvio c'è"

But, it seems unlikely, in my opinion, not to say it would a re-run of a bad show, but this is 2021. We'll see.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #579 on: January 13, 2021, 01:00:23 PM »

Well, if he somehow saves Conte during this awful period, we can probably say, very, very quietly: "Menomale che Silvio c'è"

Lmaooo

A very hilarious possibility would be a M5S-FI government; they likely have the numbers, and both parties stand to lose big from new elections. After the yellow-green government and the yellow-red government, in for the yellow-blue one? Realistically there's like <1% chance it happens, but who knows...
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #580 on: January 13, 2021, 01:03:53 PM »

Lmaooo

A very hilarious possibility would be a M5S-FI government; they likely have the numbers, and both parties stand to lose big from new elections. After the yellow-green government and the yellow-red government, in for the yellow-blue one? Realistically there's like <1% chance it happens, but who knows...
And any possibility of Renzi retracting his exit from the government? Or of a revolt in his caucus? It wouldn't be the first time.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #581 on: January 13, 2021, 01:08:14 PM »

Lmaooo

And any possibility of Renzi retracting his exit from the government? Or of a revolt in his caucus? It wouldn't be the first time.

Both things are possible, yes (I could actually argue that the former is even likely, but I won't do it). I don't think Renzi's endgame is really a snap election, and I don't know how other people in IV are assessing the situation.
Astatine

Political Matrix
E: -0.72, S: -5.90

« Reply #582 on: January 13, 2021, 01:14:00 PM »

Lmaooo

Both things are possible, yes (I could actually argue that the former is even likely, but I won't do it). I don't think Renzi's endgame is really a snap election, and I don't know how other people in IV are assessing the situation.
Yeah, when you're polling at 3 % your goal shouldn't be a snap election.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #583 on: January 13, 2021, 01:23:08 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2021, 01:26:13 PM by Mike88 »

Lmaooo

I ask that because this crisis gives me a sense of deja-vú: a politician with a huge ego forcing a crisis in the worst possible moment for very vague reasons. Irrevocable Paulo Portas. It was five years ago
The then Minister of Foreign Affairs was not pleased to learn that Maria Luís Albuquerque was going to replace Vítor Gaspar. And he slammed the door, without anyone knowing. It lasted four days
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #584 on: January 13, 2021, 01:27:37 PM »

Ah, I see that someone else is trying the now famous Blazing Saddles Negotiation Tactic.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #585 on: January 13, 2021, 01:50:59 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2021, 02:33:29 PM by Clarko95 »

Ma buttana di quella travestita vergine madonna e tuttu gli angeli in colonna, porco dio

Seriously, why is he like this?
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #586 on: January 13, 2021, 01:58:39 PM »

[censored]

I mean, please, we can do without the extreme blasphemies...

Aside from that, I can relate to how you're feeling, and my only answer is that Renzi's ego can never be underestimated.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #587 on: January 13, 2021, 07:30:37 PM »

Here you go. Wink

I won't hazard a prediction otherwise. I have no idea what Renzi's endgame is supposed to be, but I doubt he'll be able to convince PD and M5S to get rid of Conte and agree to all his demands. Somehow I have trouble seeing it come to snap elections either - it would be pure insanity in the current situation. No idea what else can happen, but in Italian politics, you should often expect the unexpected.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #588 on: January 14, 2021, 06:13:07 AM »

Here you go. Wink

I won't hazard a prediction otherwise. I have no idea what Renzi's endgame is supposed to be, but I doubt he'll be able to convince PD and M5S to get rid of Conte and agree to all his demands. Somehow I have trouble seeing it come to snap elections either - it would be pure insanity in the current situation. No idea what else can happen, but in Italian politics, you should often expect the unexpected.

Well you forgot that we are now in 2021, lol. Wink

I totally agree. I've seen many people mention a hypothetical Conte III but no one has an idea about its supposed specifics. I haven't seen much talk of snap elections instead. Either way we're in for a wild ride.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #589 on: January 14, 2021, 06:16:11 AM »

[censored]

I mean, please, we can do without the extreme blasphemies...

Aside from that, I can relate to how you're feeling, and my only answer is that Renzi's ego can never be underestimated.

It wouldn't be Italian politics without the extreme blasphemies after all Tongue
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #590 on: January 14, 2021, 06:56:24 AM »

Ma buttana di quella travestita vergine madonna e tuttu gli angeli in colonna, porco dio

Translation?
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #591 on: January 14, 2021, 07:04:58 AM »

Comparing the Virgin, Our Lady, to a transvestite whore, all the angels in a row, comparing God to a swine.

Yeah, welcome to the magic tragic world of Italian blasphemies.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #592 on: January 14, 2021, 07:10:03 AM »

Comparing the Virgin, Our Lady, to a transvestite whore, all the angels in a row, comparing God to a swine.

I feel that Catholic countries have much more imaginative obscenities.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #593 on: January 14, 2021, 07:16:32 AM »

I feel like it's an Italian thing specifically. But tack50 feel free to illuminate me as to whether Spaniards curse with "D*** perro" or "M**** puta".
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #594 on: January 14, 2021, 08:11:55 AM »

I feel like it's an Italian thing specifically. But tack50 feel free to illuminate me as to whether Spaniards curse with "D*** perro" or "M**** puta".

Spaniards are incredibly blasphemous when insulting lmao. The insults aren't quite the same, but they'd still be considered pretty obscene.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #595 on: January 14, 2021, 08:16:47 AM »

Spaniards are incredibly blasphemous when insulting lmao. The insults aren't quite the same, but they'd still be considered pretty obscene.

Yeah, not quite to Italian levels perhaps, but there are certainly tons of blasphemous insults in Spain, perhaps the most extended by far being "Me cago en Di** y en la Vir***" (ie I s**t on God and the Virgin); and derivatives of it.

Though it is usually just shortened to "Me cago en..." or to "Me cago en diez" (I sh**t on 10) and left at that; which wouldn't be blasphemous

Alcibiades makes a great point that Catholic countries tend to have much more imaginative (and blasphemous) obscenities
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #596 on: January 14, 2021, 08:31:13 AM »

Alcibiades makes a great point that Catholic countries tend to have much more imaginative (and blasphemous) obscenities

Yeah, I guess that religion is just as important as culture or language when it comes to this. European French insults are kinda boring (they're pretty similar to English ones, actually)... but in Québec, until recently much more religious than France, you have such great things as tabarnak de criss d'ostie de câlisse (okay, no idea if anyone would actually say this exact phrase, but it's still beautiful).
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #597 on: January 14, 2021, 08:48:36 AM »

Yeah, I guess that religion is just as important as culture or language when it comes to this. European French insults are kinda boring (they're pretty similar to English ones, actually)... but in Québec, until recently much more religious than France, you have such great things as tabarnak de criss d'ostie de câlisse (okay, no idea if anyone would actually say this exact phrase, but it's still beautiful).

Interestingly, in Italy people from Veneto are often stereotyped as the biggest serial blasphemers, and Veneto is one of the most religious regions.
Astatine

Political Matrix
E: -0.72, S: -5.90

« Reply #598 on: January 14, 2021, 09:19:35 AM »

Same goes for Serbo-Croatian/BHS, where God is often disrespected in insult (Jebem ti boga). In the Serbian standard variant of BHS you will often see insults against the Pope (directed towards Croats) or Islam (directed towards Bosniaks/Albanians). I even found a research paper on that: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/336589682_AN_INTANGIBLE_BUT_VERY_LOUD_HERITAGE_SWEAR_WORDS_IN_SERBIAN Tongue

Anyways, not to derail this thread into swearing in foreign languages: I read somewhere that the President of the Italian Supreme Court, Marta Cartabia, is rumored to be a potential successor for Conte as Prime Minister. Any infos on that?
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #599 on: January 14, 2021, 09:27:10 AM »

Anyways, not to derail this thread into swearing in foreign languages: I read somewhere that the President of the Italian Supreme Court, Marta Cartabia, is rumored to be a potential successor for Conte as Prime Minister. Any infos on that?

What do you MEAN shifting the thread topic from "Renzi opens government crisis" to "Catholics have such imaginatively obscene ways to break the Second Commandment" just because I got mad at Clarko's language is derailing??

Anyway, personally I have never heard Marta Cartabia mentioned by anyone except by my father during his fever dreams of an institutional (and anti-M5S) government. Also, she is not a member of the Constitutional Court anymore.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies