Is the immigration issue becoming toxic for Trump?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 12:25:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is the immigration issue becoming toxic for Trump?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Is the immigration issue becoming toxic for Trump?  (Read 3626 times)
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2018, 12:39:26 PM »

Congress hasn’t acted on immigration because:

1. RAISE doesn’t have the votes to pass the House without amendments
2. RAISE would meet significant opposition in the Senate, where the President’s party only has a razor thin majority; it will not pass in its current form
3. It clearly isn’t a legislative priority for the President, as he hasn’t signaled to leadership on the Hill that he wants action

The bill also doesn’t address those who are already here illegally. Any bill that doesn’t do that is worthless.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2018, 12:56:04 PM »

If Americans care about human rights, then yes.  But it’s a big if, apparently.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2018, 03:31:46 PM »

If Americans care about human rights, then yes.  But it’s a big if, apparently.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2018, 08:06:02 PM »

Welp we got our first poll and it’s 27/56 disapproval of the policy https://amp.thedailybeast.com/poll-republicans-approve-of-trumps-family-separation-policy?__twitter_impression=trueand
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2018, 12:38:10 AM »

Despite polls like these I HIGHLY doubt that immigration will be a losing cause for republicans.

In Europe, during the last two decades, anti-immigration has been nothing but a winning cause for the right. Basically, if immigration has been the hot topic in an election, then the right wingers have won. For years, people assumed that this was a European thing and that the same couldn't happen in the US, with the US essentially being an immigrant country AND the US only having very few muslim immigrants, but 2016 pretty much proved that notion wrong. There is a VERY big audience for scape-goat politics (whether the target are muslims, mexicans, africans, jews or any other minority for the right - or even billionaires, wall street and bankers for the left) and white identity politics, particularly amongst the working class.

So why do I doubt the polls? Because the polls have been similar here in Denmark for decades. Just looking at the polls would not tell you that there is still an immense appetite for anti-immigration measures, but there is. Social desirability bias explains some of this, but another more important thing is that VERY FEW PEOPLE will get motivated to go to vote based on the idea that minorities are being treated unfairly, while a HUGE NUMBER OF PEOPLE will go to vote based on getting tough on immigration. So it really doesn't matter if some draconian anti-immigration bill only has 30% support if those 30% vote based on that bill and the 70% who are against it, does not.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2018, 01:29:25 AM »

It depends. It's not a winning issue with the whole electorate, but with his base, it's just fine. Immigration was an issue that got him elected. Unfortunately.

The problem I see is that there is much crap going on in this White House, that a normalization of the insane has taken place to some degree. So much distraction, so much chaos and turmoil. The common American is not following - and is sick of - the 24 hour daily news circle of this scandal prez, they more care about getting food on the table, paying for college of their kids, paying for heathcare or local issues such as the infrastructure etc.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2018, 03:33:33 AM »

The family separation issue is, in my opinion, a clear winner for Democrats and Anti-Trumpers. Basically every religious organization in the country has condemned it. I haven't seen recent polling, but I am sure that it is extremely unpopular among the American public. If I were Schumer or Pelosi, I'd be instructing my caucus to try to get booked on as many cable news shows as possible bringing attention to the issue. Jacky Rosen and Kyrsten Sinema can easily use this to their advantage by tying their opponents to the Trump administration's policy in their Hispanic-heavy states. Get some marches going. Do some sit-ins or unannounced arrivals at these camps, like Jeff Merkley did. Make a big deal. Some argued that the Democratic opposition to the Tax Bill was hyperbolic, but it's hard to be hyperbolic with family separation. It literally is inhumane by every definition of the word.

Your result is:
1) Trump/GOP gets rid of family separation and the reversal can be painted as an effective victory for the #resistance.
2) They don't and it shifts the immigration polling to the Democrats before the midterms.

Great strategies here.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2018, 05:49:37 AM »

The immigrants are more American than the faux Christian POS's who jerk off to this. Probably angry their taxes are paying for diapers. I've never been more ashamed than I am right now. I want throw up. Ofc no faux Christian Evangelical Republican politician is willing to do anything. And most Americans are either too dumb, too ignorant, or agree.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2018, 07:52:49 AM »

I think it may be.
Homeland Security chief slams 'irresponsible' reports on separation of migrant families
You must be logged in to read this quote.

They are, of course, lying. (But we knew that, because they were talking. Except about hating immigrant children - I believe the wanna-be war criminal there.)

Conclusive proof that it is Trump's policy to separate children from their families at the border

Unauthorized border crossings have always been illegal, but previous administrations did not criminally prosecute all border crossers the way Trump's attorney general, Jeff Sessions, has.

Detainees in the US who are charged with criminal wrongdoing have always been separated from their children; by treating all adult border crossers as criminals, Trump's administration has therefore crafted a policy that leads families to be separated at the border.
[/quote]
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2018, 10:13:18 AM »

When you've lost Bill O'Reilly...

KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2018, 11:26:59 AM »

When you've lost Bill O'Reilly...

Well damn.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2018, 11:48:04 AM »

Of all the ridiculous lies and arguments the administration has made regarding policy and the actions of Trump, this might be the most astounding.

Trump could pick up his phone, make a call, and the new family separation guidelines would be terminated immediately. Instead, he's using the policy as leverage to get Democrats to vote for a compromise immigration bill in the Senate, where requisite support doesn't currently exist. Yet even Trump recognizes how disgusting it is to say that out loud, so it results in this ridiculous lie that cuts out the middle-man of the leverage strategy by saying the family separations are "Democrats" fault.
Yes, in Stephen Miller and John Kelly's twisted brains it's the fault of Democrats because they won't vote for whatever borderline white nationalist bill in Congress. But the Trump administration instituted the policy and they could end it at any moment.

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2018, 12:20:56 PM »

Charlie Baker is recalling the Massachusetts National Guard from the southern border:

KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2018, 12:34:22 PM »

Charlie Baker is recalling the Massachusetts National Guard from the southern border:

Thank you, Governor Baker.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2018, 12:35:46 PM »

Of all the ridiculous lies and arguments the administration has made regarding policy and the actions of Trump, this might be the most astounding.

Trump could pick up his phone, make a call, and the new family separation guidelines would be terminated immediately. Instead, he's using the policy as leverage to get Democrats to vote for a compromise immigration bill in the Senate, where requisite support doesn't currently exist. Yet even Trump recognizes how disgusting it is to say that out loud, so it results in this ridiculous lie that cuts out the middle-man of the leverage strategy by saying the family separations are "Democrats" fault.
Yes, in Stephen Miller and John Kelly's twisted brains it's the fault of Democrats because they won't vote for whatever borderline white nationalist bill in Congress. But the Trump administration instituted the policy and they could end it at any moment.

Trumpy is an expert on obstruction - just ask the FBI!
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2018, 12:51:10 PM »

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1008709364939677697?p

I finally understand why Trump is so focused and outspoken on this issue. It's so obvious! He thinks theyre tenants. And we all know how how much he hates renting to anyone who isn't white.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2018, 01:49:48 PM »

Yep. Americans oppose the separation policy by a 39-point margin:

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2018, 01:54:18 PM »

Sen. Harris has called on Sec. Nielsen to resign. Good move.

Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2018, 02:05:51 PM »

Sen. Harris has called on Sec. Nielsen to resign. Good move.

More bold moves from a future presidential hopeful. This positions her well politically...
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2018, 03:18:12 PM »

The entire immigration issue is picking-up major steam.
If nothing is done before November, it will be a big issue for the next election.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2018, 03:37:30 PM »

It must be toxic as they keep delaying the WH Press briefing

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2018, 03:50:33 PM »

I really want to watch SHS try and stand up there and continue to lie to us about this sick policy. I want her to crumble on TV. 
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2018, 04:49:03 PM »

The entire immigration issue is picking-up major steam.
If nothing is done before November, it will be a big issue for the next election.

And it looks like it will get worse:

So instead of hammering on their best issue (the economy) they'll ratchet up the attention on one of their worst.  This must be some of that 12-D chess.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2018, 05:01:03 PM »

I really want to watch SHS try and stand up there and continue to lie to us about this sick policy. I want her to crumble on TV.  

Supposedly she refused to do it, which is why they brought Nielsen in:

KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2018, 05:10:20 PM »

Supposedly she refused to do it, which is why they brought Nielsen in:

Damn we found something even SHS won’t lie about
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies