DNC Panel rule: If you want to run be a registered Democrat!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 12:05:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  DNC Panel rule: If you want to run be a registered Democrat!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: DNC Panel rule: If you want to run be a registered Democrat!  (Read 5564 times)
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2018, 12:57:24 PM »

Keep in mind my post is just for the USA at large. I still maintain that Abrams is a better candidate than Evans. Georgia has few swing voters right now, as well as a largr black base that is informed but disheartened by the political system. And I think Abrams does almost as good as Evans with the few swing voters there are anyways.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2018, 01:21:45 PM »

No Democrat is going to win the presidency without winning the votes of minorities by large margins. Without minorities Democrats wouldn't even have a chance at winning several swing states (if you remove large diverse cities from purple states they will turn red).
The black, Latino, and young Obama '12 non-voters were more consequential than the "Obama -> Trump WWC voter" who supposedly would have voted for Bernie if he were on the ballot. Hopefully Senator Sanders can evolve in his rhetoric on how the Democratic Party should galvanize voters moving forward. I have been very turned off by some of his assertions. I have seen him turn the corner a bit on that, so thankfully someone has gotten in his ear.

If we're talking about pure numbers, this is incorrect. There were about 6 million Obama --> Trump voters. If they all voted for Hillary instead of Trump, that would be a net gain of 12 million in Hillary's margins. You can turn out twice as many Latinos (which is almost impossible b/c that would be 92% turnout) and you still wouldn't get the same net gain as simply keeping all of the Obama --> Trump voters.

Turning out black people is a slightly better strategy, but even a whopping 100% black turnout would not give the same margin as simply keeping all of the Obama --> Trump voters.

I'm not saying what strategy the democratic party should do. I am just saying this strategy of trying to turn out young people + miniorities (and good f'ing luck turning out young latinos...) without focusing on swing voters is OK in the Popular Vote, poor in the electoral college, and bad in midterms... and a complete disaster in the Senate, which is comprised of many rural white states. The democratic party relies on a ton of old white people (they get about 40% of the old white vote). Even Obama got a lot of old white people to vote for him in 2008. Not as much in 2012, but still got plenty of them to vote for him.

Granted, I am of the opinion that by Nov 2020, Trump will be so damaged that anyone even marginally better than Hillary would easily win. But the educated white + young + miniority coalition is not as effective as people hype it up to be... you need to add something else to it. Obama added midwestern whites to this coalition.

The Obama non-voters were certainly consequential in the Electoral College. Hillary wins Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Florida with 2012 black turnout alone.

I do agree with you though, I wasn’t trying to make that point at all. I just rejected Sanders’s assertion that we lost because of “identity politics” and we have to have muted responses to certain issues that might make certain whiteconstituencies uncomfortable. He is evolving on that though, so I give him credit there. It is important to keep the inelastic base engaged. I have no problem reaching out to swing voters. I support freaking Steve Bullock for 2020, and I know damn well he won’t be an Uber-liberal SJW. Tongue
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2018, 05:42:34 PM »

And people say Bernie supporters/the progressive wing is unreasonable and spiteful. Jesus Christ, this rabid Bernie derangement syndrome that the DNC and many Democratic voters have is going to hand Trump a second term.

Giving that Bernie's base is so insignificant and fringe in the political world that nothing will be lose of consequence. The Bernie Bros will forever keep raging against a system by claiming how the elite is rigging the primary, while they barely get out to vote for Bernie or other supposedly "progressive". If the Bernie crew wants to have a place at the table appeal to our base or jump off the ship.

Huh. I thought Bernie cost Clinton the election.

PS: What if I told you that "POC" is not the base of the Democratic Party - at least in many states?

Oh, Bernie was part of the smear campaign that help Clinton get defeated. I just think misogyny and Russia had a greater overall impact on deflecting Hillary from becoming president.

You'll be right in your statement, though it's the people that needs have to be most listen to if you want to win the party nomination.

Hillary lost because she was an awful campaigner, her team was incompetent, and the majority of Americans (rightfully) didn't like or trust her. Quit making excuses for a shitty candidate.

She lost due to Russian propaganda.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2018, 05:45:26 PM »

I can't really see how it is unfair that a party makes a rule like this. Political parties are private and can set whatever rules they like.

It's a symbolic attempt to undermine Bernie Sanders. If you don't want him president, beat him in the primary and not try to pull shady sh**t like this.

If he wants to run for President as a Democrat, he should register as a Democrat instead of being a giant man-baby about it.

Does it really matter though?

Either way, you guys are entirely missing the point. Pulling off shady bullsh**t like this does nothing but harm to trust in the DNC. At a time when faith in our institutions is at an all time low, and the Democratic Party is the only thing stopping us from fascism, that is not good.

Sanders running in the Democratic Party while remaining an independent also does harm to the Democratic Party as it sends a negative message about the Democratic Party to his supporters (and to independent observers.)
James Monroe

« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2018, 05:47:20 PM »

And people say Bernie supporters/the progressive wing is unreasonable and spiteful. Jesus Christ, this rabid Bernie derangement syndrome that the DNC and many Democratic voters have is going to hand Trump a second term.

Giving that Bernie's base is so insignificant and fringe in the political world that nothing will be lose of consequence. The Bernie Bros will forever keep raging against a system by claiming how the elite is rigging the primary, while they barely get out to vote for Bernie or other supposedly "progressive". If the Bernie crew wants to have a place at the table appeal to our base or jump off the ship.

PS: What if I told you that "POC" is not the base of the Democratic Party - at least in many states?

Oh, Bernie was part of the smear campaign that help Clinton get defeated. I just think misogyny and Russia had a greater overall impact on deflecting Hillary from becoming president.

You'll be right in your statement, though it's the people that needs have to be most listen to if you want to win the party nomination.

Hillary lost because she was an awful campaigner, her team was incompetent, and the majority of Americans (rightfully) didn't like or trust her. Quit making excuses for a shitty candidate.

4 Million people voted for Hillary in the general election. She was the popular candidate winner.

Russia intervened and hack our ballots through changing votes that were cast for Hillary Clinton to votes for Donald Trump. Russia help is the definitive reason Hillary lost, nothing to do with how she campaigned, seeing that Trump campaign was incompetent enough that staffers barely even target certain key states.

Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2018, 05:48:47 PM »

This seems like an incredibly stupid move for literally everyone involved in making it. It doesn't functionally actually do anything that could benefit them, and optics-wise it pisses off a substantial portion of the party base.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2018, 05:52:05 PM »

This seems like an incredibly stupid move for literally everyone involved in making it. It doesn't functionally actually do anything that could benefit them, and optics-wise it pisses off a substantial portion of the party base.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2018, 05:57:46 PM »

Anecdotal to be sure, but I've read a lot of comments on twitter that Sanders being allowed to run in the Democratic Party primaries while remaining an independent also pisses off a substantial portion of the party base.
James Monroe

« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2018, 05:58:55 PM »

Anecdotal to be sure, but I've read a lot of comments on twitter that Sanders being allowed to run in the Democratic Party primaries while remaining an independent also pisses off a substantial portion of the party base.

That portion of the base is who votes in primaries, not "independents" who can't bothered to register with the party. Better to cater to people that care to vote then those who can't even support the party in vulnerable times.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2018, 06:11:46 PM »

According to this rule, it looks like Sherrod Brown, Steve Bullock, Amy Klobuchar, and Terry McAuliffe can’t get the nomination because none of them are registered Democrats.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2018, 06:30:24 PM »

Those are just looking for excuses to hate Sanders, and there about as substantial as the far left Bernie or bust crowed. And this panel rule isn't gonna cause them to not all of a sudden like Sanders if he runs.

I can't really see how it is unfair that a party makes a rule like this. Political parties are private and can set whatever rules they like.

It's a symbolic attempt to undermine Bernie Sanders. If you don't want him president, beat him in the primary and not try to pull shady sh**t like this.

If he wants to run for President as a Democrat, he should register as a Democrat instead of being a giant man-baby about it.

Either way, you guys are entirely missing the point. Pulling off shady bullsh**t like this does nothing but harm to trust in the DNC. At a time when faith in our institutions is at an all time low, and the Democratic Party is the only thing stopping us from fascism, that is not good.

Sanders running in the Democratic Party while remaining an independent also does harm to the Democratic Party as it sends a negative message about the Democratic Party to his supporters (and to independent observers.)

So him officially running as a Democrat, attacks the establishment while running, and then going back after the election is over does not do that?
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2018, 06:59:31 PM »

4 Million people voted for Hillary in the general election. She was the popular candidate winner.

Russia intervened and hack our ballots through changing votes that were cast for Hillary Clinton to votes for Donald Trump. Russia help is the definitive reason Hillary lost, nothing to do with how she campaigned, seeing that Trump campaign was incompetent enough that staffers barely even target certain key states.

Trumpists clearly aren’t the only ones that believe in crazy conspiracy theories...
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2018, 07:03:35 PM »

Trumpists clearly aren’t the only ones that believe in crazy conspiracy theories...
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2018, 07:29:47 PM »

136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2018, 07:32:04 PM »

Those are just looking for excuses to hate Sanders, and there about as substantial as the far left Bernie or bust crowed. And this panel rule isn't gonna cause them to not all of a sudden like Sanders if he runs.

So him officially running as a Democrat, attacks the establishment while running, and then going back after the election is over does not do that?

Yes and no.  If he attacks the Democratic Party on valid grounds, there is nothing wrong with that.  However, he isn't trying to have it both ways and would obviously face scrutiny himself on having joined a party that he doesn't like.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2018, 07:39:13 PM »

Yes and no.  If he attacks the Democratic Party on valid grounds, there is nothing wrong with that.  However, he isn't trying to have it both ways and would obviously face scrutiny himself on having joined a party that he doesn't like.

People would forget in 2 days. He did the same exact thing in 2015 when he said he'd run as a democrat in future elections for NH ballot access and no one remembers it now to the point it hasn't even been brought up in 3 pages of the thread.

All the DNC is doing here is worsening their public image and reducing the confidence of a well run 2020 primary.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2018, 08:08:39 PM »
« Edited: June 09, 2018, 08:53:01 PM by 136or142 »

Yes and no.  If he attacks the Democratic Party on valid grounds, there is nothing wrong with that.  However, he isn't trying to have it both ways and would obviously face scrutiny himself on having joined a party that he doesn't like.

People would forget in 2 days. He did the same exact thing in 2015 when he said he'd run as a democrat in future elections for NH ballot access and no one remembers it now to the point it hasn't even been brought up in 3 pages of the thread.

All the DNC is doing here is worsening their public image and reducing the confidence of a well run 2020 primary.

I don't know about that.  It would mean that he would have to go by D-Vermont, and not I-Vermont.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2018, 08:18:22 PM »

And she should be grateful to Gary Johnson every day for taking enough GOP votes that such a "victory" was possible.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2018, 08:42:24 PM »

This is mostly harmful and comes off as spiteful.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2018, 11:07:15 PM »

This is definitely a move to "Trigger the BernieBros" rather than do anything constructive.

Unsurprising considering the DNC is putting their full weight behind ANDREW CUOMO. They just love to trigger a substantial part of the Democratic base and encourage them to sit out come election time.
DevinM626
Rookie

« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2018, 11:19:29 PM »

This is definitely a move to "Trigger the BernieBros" rather than do anything constructive.

Unsurprising considering the DNC is putting their full weight behind ANDREW CUOMO. They just love to trigger a substantial part of the Democratic base and encourage them to sit out come election time.
Ben Trump
Rookie

« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2018, 03:18:12 AM »

DNC is so stupid
Please Bernie run as an Independent
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2018, 03:24:41 AM »

Great decision. It just makes sense that someone who wants to run for the DEMOCRATIC nomination should be a DEMOCRAT.
Ben Trump
Rookie

« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2018, 03:28:26 AM »

They only doing it to stop Bernie and other progresives
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2018, 08:36:25 AM »

They only doing it to stop Bernie and other progresives

What "other progressives" ?

Bernie is the only plausible 2020 candidate that isn't a Democrat already, and all he has to do is say "I'm a Democrat" and he meets the requirement too.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies