Van Buren Iowa
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:58:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Van Buren Iowa
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Van Buren Iowa  (Read 1403 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 30, 2005, 10:23:58 PM »
« edited: September 30, 2005, 10:26:51 PM by Kevin »

Why is this county so Republican.I ask this because it is in a Democratic part of the state.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 12:36:27 AM »

Why is this county so Republican.I ask this because it is in a Democratic part of the state.
It doesn't appear that far out of line compared to its rural neighbors (like Henry and Davis).  Other neighboring counties have small towns like Burlington, Fort Madison, Keokuk, and Ottumwa that have some manufacturing, and probably some service jobs (Van Buren County with 8000 people may not be able to support a hospital or a WalMart).

Jefferson County to the north has an anomaly due to the presence of the Mahareshi University of Management.  In 2000, 1/2 of Iowa's votes for the Natural Law Party were from Jefferson County.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 02:33:41 AM »

The anamoly in Iowa that I see is Sioux County in the Northwest.  This county went 86% for Bush and delivered Iowa to him. This county has two Christian colleges, which probably is the explanation, but 86% seems so overwhelming! Kerry didn't do that well in any place, but DC.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 03:00:25 AM »

The anamoly in Iowa that I see is Sioux County in the Northwest.  This county went 86% for Bush and delivered Iowa to him. This county has two Christian colleges, which probably is the explanation, but 86% seems so overwhelming! Kerry didn't do that well in any place, but DC.

Actually it's because it's overwhelmingly Dutch Calvinist
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies