Term limits and half terms in the states
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:03:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Term limits and half terms in the states
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Term limits and half terms in the states  (Read 1797 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 07, 2018, 09:44:15 AM »

A VP who becomes prez can only run once if he serves more than two years of the remaining term. If he serves less, he could run twice and serve ten years. How about state governors?

I was looking into the CA constitution, but couldn't find a clear provision. For example, if Gavin Newsom had to step in the governorship right now (god forbid something happens to Brown), could he run in 2022 again if he wins this November?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 10:26:47 PM »

It's cloudy language, but in California, the term limits for governor were added by the same proposition 140 that added term limits to the legislature. Applying the explicit rules for legislators to executive offices would mean that someone could run for governor only if they hadn't served more than four years.  So if Newsom had to serve part of Brown's term, he could only run for a second term of his own if he resigned before the fourth anniversary of when he took office.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 01:31:33 AM »

It's cloudy language, but in California, the term limits for governor were added by the same proposition 140 that added term limits to the legislature. Applying the explicit rules for legislators to executive offices would mean that someone could run for governor only if they hadn't served more than four years.  So if Newsom had to serve part of Brown's term, he could only run for a second term of his own if he resigned before the fourth anniversary of when he took office.

Sounds right, though it could end up before court for decision.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 07:55:23 AM »

Incidentally, South Carolina's term limit law isn't nearly as restrictive. For instance, while Haley couldn't have run this year regardless of whether she'd stayed in office, she can run in 2022, as the limit here is to being elected twice in a row before having to sit out once. If McMaster wins this year, he'd be able to run for reelection in 2026.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 04:26:51 AM »

I ask myself how this issue applies to Virginia. Say in early 2021 Governor Ralph Northam resigns to take a cabinet post under a Democratic president, would then-succeeded Governor Justin Fairfax be able to run for reelection later that year? In history, there is no precedent.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 01:37:35 PM »

I ask myself how this issue applies to Virginia. Say in early 2021 Governor Ralph Northam resigns to take a cabinet post under a Democratic president, would then-succeeded Governor Justin Fairfax be able to run for reelection later that year? In history, there is no precedent.
Yes, because he wouldn't be running for reelection, he'd be running for election, unless he chose to run for his old office again since Virginia has no term limits on being Lieutenant Governor. Indeed, given how late in the election cycle this would likely happen, it's probable that Fairfax would run in 2021 for whatever office he'd been planning on running anyway, which very well could have been governor.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 07:26:32 PM »

In Michigan, statewide executives and state Senators get two terms, state Representatives get three terms, and then you're banned for life. Partial terms count toward the first term for both state legislators and statewide officials if the partial term is more than half of the original term. At the governor level, this has not happened since Michigan passed term limits in either 1990 or 1992 (I can't recall the year), as the last time a Lieutenant Governor was forced to step in was in 1969 after George Romney resigned and Bill Milliken took over. He served until 1983.

My own state representative got recalled after a lengthy effort by the state teacher's union in late 2011. At first, the state GOP scoffed at the recall effort until it actually succeeded. The replacement election was held in February 2012, and after a huge moneybomb by the Michigan GOP, Republican Joe Graves won the seat from then until January 2013. As a result, he was allowed to be elected to three full terms thereafter.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 06:37:13 AM »

Yes, because he wouldn't be running for reelection, he'd be running for election, unless he chose to run for his old office again since Virginia has no term limits on being Lieutenant Governor. Indeed, given how late in the election cycle this would likely happen, it's probable that Fairfax would run in 2021 for whatever office he'd been planning on running anyway, which very well could have been governor.

Bump. This may soon be tested.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies