Was it common for Democrats to vote Ford in 1976?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:35:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Was it common for Democrats to vote Ford in 1976?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Was it common for Democrats to vote Ford in 1976?  (Read 5020 times)
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2018, 10:19:31 PM »

I believe Jimmy Carter was actually more anti abortion than Gerald Ford was.

Privately? Possibly. However, the Democratic 1976 platform opposed a constitutional amendment on the subject while the Republican platform supported one (albeit with some language acknowledging their was disagreement within the party on the subject).

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=25843
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=29606

Both Carter and Ford stated they supported their party platforms on the subject in the third presidential debate on October 22nd.

http://www.debates.org/index.php?page=october-22-1976-debate-transcript

So the partisan divide was already present, just in a far milder tone.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2018, 01:28:16 PM »

He won a large percentage of the black vote (17%) which a Republican has not done since.
Ford refused to use dog whistles, and I'm not aware of any racial issues being salient in 1976. I wonder how much of the black vote Nixon got in 1960.
Richard Nixon received 32% of the Black vote in 1960.

SOURCE: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/04/opinion/campaign-stops/why-cant-the-gop-get-real-with-black-voters.html
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2018, 04:44:25 PM »

There certainly hasn't been a less ideological presidential race since.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2018, 04:47:45 PM »

There certainly hasn't been a less ideological presidential race since.

1992 and 1996
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2018, 08:02:08 PM »

Privately? Possibly. However, the Democratic 1976 platform opposed a constitutional amendment on the subject while the Republican platform supported one (albeit with some language acknowledging their was disagreement within the party on the subject).

Both Carter and Ford stated they supported their party platforms on the subject in the third presidential debate on October 22nd.

As far as I know, the partisan divide comes from Nixon running against "acid, amnesty, and abortion." What didn't yet exist in 1976 was the connection between southern evangelicalism and pro-life sentiment. Nixon in 1972 and Ford in 1976 probably saw a pro-life platform as a way to appeal to Catholics.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2018, 10:44:39 PM »

Thanks for the information and thanks for the correction. Smiley
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2018, 07:42:15 PM »

Yes, the parties did not really become all that divided on social issues until after the Roe V Wade ruling, and even then it took a number of years.  There was once a thing known as 'Planned Parenthood Republicans.'  (George H W Bush was a supporter for a while.)

https://www.marieclaire.com/politics/news/a16149/planned-parenthood-republicans/

Not only was there a liberal Republican wing especially in the northeast (Senator Jacob Javits for instance, even Spiro Agnew was known as a fairly liberal Republican until he remade himself into a joke as Nixon's attack dog) but there is some argument that Reagan lost the nomination to Ford at the convention by trying to court liberal Republicans with his Vice Presidential selection.  There is so much revisionist history with Reagan and subsequent Republicans designed to put conservatives in a better light, that I don't know how true that argument actually is.

It played a role in the defection of the Mississippi delegation. Reagan had promised to pick Senator Richard Schweiker (R-PA) as his Vice Presidential candidate, but this alienated many Southerners because he was regarded as a "liberal" Republican, who ironically was also "pro-gun" and there is actually a point in the news coverage in 1968 where NBC credits "gun clubs" with Schweiker's Senate victory. What most likely pissed off the South was his position on the war and his vote against Nixon two failed Supreme Court Nominees:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I just read Len Garment's book 'In Search of Deep Throat' in which he explains why he thought it was John Sears.

Sears, described as a 'brilliant political tactician' is said to have come up with the choice of Richard Schwieker.  There were two things here:

1.The Reagan campaign was essentially 'throwing a Hail Mary' because they knew they were going to lose the nomination based on the delegate count.  So, they thought a 'balanced ticket' might work.

2.They were hoping that by announcing Reagan's Vice Presidential selection before the Presidential vote, that they could force, through procedural motions to get Ford to name his Vice Presidential selection before the Presidential nomination vote.  They hoped that the division caused to Ford's support would be greater than any division in their support.

Sears is described as initially a young Kennedy supporter who was in search of the mythical perfect centrist candidate.  He thought he found it in Nixon but became disillusioned very early on and left in 1969.  It's possible that Sears may have been personally pushing to find the centrist candidate through Reagan via the 'balanced ticket' approach.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In regards to the book itself, though obviously we now know that Mark Felt was Deep Throat there were a couple things that I found odd.

1.Garment mentions that Bernstein also had a secret source who had been in the government and Garment correctly figured out that person was Sears.  I'd surprised with this because Sears was long gone from the Nixon Administration by then (though he visited regularly, especially the Old Executive Office building.)  I would have thought with Watergate it would have been the case of "those who know aren't talking, and those who talk don't really know anything" but obviously Sears was told.

Garment mentions that Woodward and Bernstein had separate lists of (sometimes overlapping) off the record contacts, and he contended that Deep Throat was one of those who overlapped.

I would have thought this, not just because the Watergate Conspirators would have obvious reasons to stay silent, but because I thought that with Sears finding out, that would have made him an accessory to Watergate.  I'm not a lawyer, so am I wrong here?  Garment and Sears are both lawyers.

2.I read a couple reviews and I thought it was odd that nobody mentioned the one obvious hole in Garment's theory: the anonymous source to Bernstein and Deep Throat had completely different Modus Operandi.  Deep Throat's was meeting in secret and only confirming information (with a couple exceptions), Sears was to talk freely over the phone and tell what he knew.

I think it's clear it shows what marketing can do that people were consumed for years over the identity of Deep Throat but nobody seemed interest in finding out who Bernstein's secret source was (or most of any of the other secret sources.  I think there was also some interest in the major female source.  Her name has since come out, I think she's an accountant.)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2018, 09:07:26 PM »

Carter was not more anti-abortion than Ford.

Carter was "personally opposed" to abortion but said he wouldn't try to undermine the ruling. He basically wanted to treat it as a settled issue and move on like some previously opposed to gay marriage Republicans are.

Ford supported abortion being legal at the state level, but said it should be a state issue and opposed Roe v. Wade. He even said he'd support a constitutional amendment enshrining it as a state issue and prohibiting both federal restrictions on abortion and state abortion laws being struck down.

Both had way more nuanced positions than most politicians today, but effectively Carter was far more pro-choice.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2018, 10:52:12 AM »

Were there "social liberals" concerned about Clinton that voted for Bush?  1992 was the year of the culture war speeches at the GOP convention.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2018, 02:33:21 PM »

Were there "social liberals" concerned about Clinton that voted for Bush?  1992 was the year of the culture war speeches at the GOP convention.

There were many social conservatives who voted for Clinton I believe.

On Policies there really wasnt much of a difference between the two candidates in 1992 or in 1996 as both times Election was  Center vs Center Right
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2018, 02:35:53 PM »

Right, but there were people in 1976 who were concerned about Carter's evangelicalism.  I don't think anybody voted for Bush because they were concerned by what they saw as Clinton's social conservatism.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies