Encore of Europe: Rules, Sign-up, and General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:52:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Encore of Europe: Rules, Sign-up, and General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 23
Author Topic: Encore of Europe: Rules, Sign-up, and General Discussion  (Read 40968 times)
Spamage
spamage
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 07, 2018, 12:44:29 AM »
« edited: June 07, 2018, 08:09:48 PM by Spamage »

The Encore of Europe
1782 and onwards
    Many are debating whether the Kingdom of Scandinavia is a second Swedish Empire, or a mere extension of the original, revived following several troubled decades. The chaos of the Riksdag Rebellion has been put in the past as new territories acquired at the expense of Denmark (Norway, Iceland, and Greenland) have largely reconciled themselves to the new government. While Adolf Frederick promised greater choice in politics, his son, Gustav III, has proven to be an absolutist. Using the chaos in Poland as an excuse, a Constitution has not been promulgated as promised. Instead, by emphasizing Swedish and Scandinavian glory, he has largely rallied the people behind the idea of a strong monarchy, relying on the past glories of Gustav Adolf and Charles XII to make his case.
     To the south, in the hallowed halls of Constantinople, the Ottoman dynasty continues to reign supreme. Due to an alliance with Prussia and extensive action during the previous wars, the Ottomans have not fallen completely behind the other European powers and remain a major player in the region. Although the Crimean Khanate has been partially gobbled up by the Russians and Moldovia lost to Poland, the successors of Suleiman remain powerful. Mustafa III died in the early 1770s, succeeded by his brother Abdul Hamid. A war with the returned Safavid Dynasty in that decade resulted in a stalemate, though it was a major victory in checking Persian expansion. Also notable is the efforts that have been taken to draw Egypt closer to the rest of the Empire. There has been a large uptick in observation and governance of the region since the death of Mustafa III, irritating local nobles but potentially securing the region’s loyalty.
     Russia was one of the most damaged powers following the Wars of the Grand Coalitions. The Civil War between backers of Peter, Paul, and Ivan raged throughout the vast realm ending with the coronation of Paul under joint rule with his mother Catherine. Praised for her devotion to her adopted nation, Catherine was active in repairing the damaged Empire by looking inwards during the ensuing decades. Massive purges of potential enemies occurred in the Church, nobility, and civil administration. Though this largely curbed their power, it also made Catherine many enemies. With Paul looking to rule on his own, and many upset with her drastic policies, a coup in 1780 saw Catherine arrested and quietly exiled to a monastery, where she has taken the vows. This is not to say that Paul is universally loved, and many staunch backers of his mother remain at Court and throughout the nation. Any failures could see her seek to return to her senior position in their joint rule.

The Rules:
-This game is a sequel to the Concert of Europe game run from last Summer to Winter. Information to get you up to speed on what occurred in the past is available several pages back in the Election and History Games thread.

-The game begins in January 1782. Powers can negotiate and repudiate alliances as they see fit within reason.  

-Each turn will cover 1 year in the game timeline. I intend to have them open for one week so as to give people time to respond.

-I will issue responses for every minor power or unplayed nation.

-Updates will be posted in the main thread. These will contain overall summaries, the state of (public) alliances, deaths, and the economic situation for each power. Nations will be given specific events to respond to each turn as well. There will also be a number of events every turn which could involve international crises, events in non-playable nations, cultural discoveries, and inventions for all players to respond to.

-All communication between members (PMs) must also include me, so I am aware of the state of the game.

-You can send in your orders via PM, or post them publicly. I would prefer people post their public orders so everyone can see, while obviously sending me the secret ones.

-In the event of war, the game will continue on pace (as fighting was so common during this time period). I will open a new thread for wars between players and update it along with the general update for the rest of the game. All war orders should be PMed to me.

-In the event of a ruler's death, the player will be able to continue, so long as the heir is of the same royal house. In the event there is no clear royal heir, succession wars may occur.

-Failure to send orders for a turn will be the equivalent of the monarch sitting back and doing nothing for that period, meaning nothing good can come from it. Players who miss turns will find their economies weakened and internal dissent on the rise (or perhaps colonies on the revolt Wink ).

-Battles will be calculated by dice rolls. Higher number wins, margin between rolls determines the level of victory. Certain leaders and armies will have slight bonuses or maluses to simulate their quality during the time period. Sizes of the contending forces determines the amount of dice rolled.

-So far there are only 10 playable nations. I will add more if I feel like there is enough demand (Portugal, China, and Persia are top candidates). If you claimed a realm in the previous thread, you must reconfirm it here.

-Please ask any questions about the global situation here.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 12:59:13 AM »

I reconfirm my intention to play as Prussia once again.
ASPN
Dr_Novella

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 01:37:27 AM »

This looks really cool, would be down to play as Quebec Republic
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 02:42:55 AM »

I reconfirm my intention to play as Prussia once again.
Same for me for France
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 04:03:53 AM »

I'll commit to Scandinavia!
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 06:19:25 AM »

I'll have a stab at Britain.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 06:23:25 AM »

And by the way Spamage, I think Dereich said he wanted to play Austria.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 06:37:27 AM »
« Edited: June 07, 2018, 12:55:51 PM by Dereich »

I would like to play Austria

I'm considering who to play.
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 07:04:45 AM »

I'll take Spain and her Empire. Perhaps I could reform it in such a way that it is very stable
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 08:24:11 AM »

I'll take Spain and her Empire. Perhaps I could reform it in such a way that it is very stable

I have changed my mind. I will take Portugal if it is available.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 09:59:30 AM »

Spamage,
Could you give us more details about the situation in Asia and in Italy please?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 10:57:27 AM »

F**k! Why nobody messaged me about Ottomans? Sad
Paul Weller
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 11:10:15 AM »

I reconfirm my intention to return as Russia.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 11:12:43 AM »

I reconfirm my selection of The Polish-Lithuanian Republic!
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2018, 11:17:09 AM »

I reconfirm my selection of Spain.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2018, 11:34:01 AM »

I would like to play as Persia, please.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2018, 12:54:19 PM »

OK, I'd take the Habsburg Lands is available.

I'd still like to be notified in advance if the Ottoman Empire is free at any point.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2018, 12:55:54 PM »

I'd still like to be notified in advance if the Ottoman Empire is free at any point.
The Netherlands are still available I believe
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2018, 01:02:14 PM »
« Edited: June 07, 2018, 04:43:01 PM by Dereich »

The Netherlands are still available I believe

I'm fine with him having Austria. I myself would like the Netherlands.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2018, 08:02:54 PM »

Great, seeing such strong interest is really motivating!

So I am going to close the sign-up period with 13 players (assuming BK still confirms) and will work on getting the first turn up either tomorrow or Saturday (it may be Sunday as I also have to add to the military numbers). From then the game will begin.

I would like to say several things before we begin. First, I will shortly be purging my PMs entirely so as to start fresh. Undoubtedly some things from the previous game will be lost, but it will make it much easier for me to follow developments in the new version.

Second, I will be adding Italy, Asia, the Netherlands and Portugal (maybe Africa as well) summaries this evening in order to further highlight developments in the game universe over the past few years.

Finally, this was a problem I ran into a bit in the last game and I would hope we could all work to rectify for easier clarification. Please group your requests for non-player nations together, so I am not getting messages strung out between multiple pages for one player. It makes it so less slips through the cracks and we all get a clearer view of what's going on.

Thanks for your enthusiasm and I look forward to getting started.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2018, 08:07:16 PM »

Question for Kal, if BK fails to confirm within a couple days could Kal take the Ottomans?
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2018, 11:15:40 PM »

Question for Kal, if BK fails to confirm within a couple days could Kal take the Ottomans?

Yes, if BK has not responded by the time the first turn is posted Kal (and Dereich I suspect as well) are welcome to switch.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2018, 11:26:05 PM »

Italy:
     Perhaps no region demonstrates the armed tension of the past few years better than the Italian states. Divided into many principalities, the region has also become a potential source of tension between the Austrians and the French, who were once strong allies.
     The heiress to the Duchy of Modena was married to the now King Louis XVI during the past decade, ensuring a French return to the region after centuries of absence. Although her father is still healthy, there have been some in Milan (and Vienna of course) who have eyed the prospect of a French principality in the area with great unease. Undoubtedly this is as major a potential development as the events in the Kingdom of Bavaria.
     In Sardinia-Piedmont, the reforming nature of Charles Emmanuel III, who promulgated a constitution and representative government, caused him to be widely regarded as one of the realm’s best monarchs by the common people. His death in 1773 though, led to a sort of counter-revolution as the clergy and nobility, furious about being taxed, were backed by his conservative son Victor Amadeus III. Although the constitution was still in effect on paper, in practice harsh repressive measures, supported in part by French and Austrian aid, have resulted in the re-strengthening of the crown.
    Venice saw the opposite developments. Doge Francesco Loredan’s reforms democratizing the ancient republic remained in effect, being embraced by a whole new generation. Internal peace slowly emerged as even staunch holdouts eventually were won over by the level of public support in the region. Instead, Venice’s attention would be focused on Africa, where the colonies acquired at the expense of Tripoli were plunged into chaos. Both the Venetian and the Austrian territories seized during the previous war face intense local resistance, with a large tribal campaign in the Sahara seeking to oust them from control of their cities. Some worry about the colonies, while others in Venice are more focused at home (recognizing they are surrounded by monarchies).

Netherlands and Portugal:
     The reign of William I of the Netherlands, crowned after the chaotic attempts to institute a Dutch Republic were thwarted by joint Prussian-British action, has been a trying time for the small nation. Coming to age after the tense regencies of his mother (likely murdered) and paternal grandmother, the King has shown an eagerness to take charge. Invaded and devastated twice during the previous decades, his new Kingdom has spent much of its time focusing on repairing its domestic situation, with the results finally visible. Crop outputs and population are both on the rise, not to mention the continued prominence of the Netherlands at sea. Although the Dutch may have lost several provinces to the French, which the most avowed nationalists demand returned, and the Cape Colony was taken by the Prussians, the state does still possess a vast colonial empire, a distant settler colony, and trade stretching around the globe. Under proper leadership the Netherlands could return to its prominent position in European affairs.
     Queen Maria is the leader of the Portuguese Kingdom, which emerged unscathed from the Wars of the Grand Coalitions. In fact, the deft diplomacy of her father Joseph ensured that lands were gained in both India and the Americas at the cost of very few lives. Now under Maria, new policies have been enacted. Pombal has been dismissed after a long rule at court, the Jesuits have returned, and the Queen is seen to represent a conservative turn in society. Portugal is great, but some believe there is an even greater potential for glory. Maria must act wisely if she is to protect her subjects and build on the legacy of her forefathers.

India:
     Following the ultimate victory of the French and the Portuguese over the upstart Maratha Confederacy, the last embers of Indian independence were extinguished. Although vast areas of the subcontinent ostensibly remained under home-rule, in reality these principalities were all subjects of either the French or Portuguese. In the south, Mysore has transformed into a loyal and complacent partner of their overlords in Lisbon, the wealth from trade and the access to new goods outweighing other consideration in the eyes of local elites. France, though, due to the nature of governing a much larger area, has faced some challenges. The activism of the Jesuits, welcomed by King Louis XVI has alienated some Hindus and Muslims, though there is a real potential to convert those in lower castes who see something attractive about the Catholic message. Furthermore, some officials are suspected of holding onto tax or tributes that ought to be sent to the metropole. Even so, control over much of India has been a boon to France, providing many raw goods and a massive new market for finished products. Among Indians, a new generation is beginning to come of age that cannot remember a time without a French presence. Some have begun to wonder though, would it not be more pleasing if France possessed all of this rich territory?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2018, 05:57:54 AM »

Yes, if BK has not responded by the time the first turn is posted Kal (and Dereich I suspect as well) are welcome to switch.

I would switch in such case.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2018, 01:51:21 PM »

Executive decision time! As BK hasn't confirmed, and after confirmation from Dereich, I've decided that Kal can take the Ottomans and Dereich will reassume the Austrians.

I'm currently writing prompts, so progress is being made on starting this.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies