14 Years Since Reagan Died
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 06:38:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  14 Years Since Reagan Died
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: 14 Years Since Reagan Died  (Read 6234 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2018, 09:37:45 AM »

RIP one of the worst presidents in Modern times.

Agree. He made the rich richer and did nothing for the middle class and poor except ripping social programs off. And "fiscally responsible" Reagan increased the deficit by 180%. Not to mention Iran Contra. But at least he was far more civilized than our current leader.

I don't know about you guys, but if I was in Reagan's position I would have done the same thing.

Fortunately you aren't.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2018, 09:47:46 AM »

Agree. He made the rich richer and did nothing for the middle class and poor except ripping social programs off. And "fiscally responsible" Reagan increased the deficit by 180%. Not to mention Iran Contra. But at least he was far more civilized than our current leader.

The (sadly predominantly liberal) experts disagree and put Saint Ron on par with Obama and ahead of Clinton Smiley
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2018, 11:12:10 AM »

I don't know about you guys, but if I was in Reagan's position I would have done the same thing.

Fortunately you aren't.

I don't like to pretend I'm better than I am. I'll admit if I had political power I'd use it to benefit myself however I legally could. That's better than most Americans who lie and say they would be some kind of incorruptible saint who would look out for "the common man."

I don't blame people for wanting to get as much as they can for themselves even at the expense of everyone else. I don't see why I should care about what becomes of someone who was rude to me or opposed me.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2018, 11:21:50 AM »

How in the world can the Forum's biggest opponent of abortion admire the man who signed the first law ever legalizing elective abortion in a state?

Reagan the president was very different than Reagan the governor.  He didn't really understand the ramifications of what he did and regretted it as the biggest mistake of his career later in life.  However, as president, he fought tooth and nail for the right to life.  Here is one of my favorite quotes of all-time:

"With regard to the freedom of the individual for choice with regard to abortion, there's one individual who's not being considered at all. That's the one who is being aborted. And I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born."
~Ronald Reagan, 1980
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2018, 12:14:34 PM »

This!
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2018, 12:16:10 PM »

Who's Reagan?

Last i heard....GOP is the party of Trump and all evidence of this Reagan character have been erased
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2018, 12:17:08 PM »

Who's Reagan?

Last i heard....GOP is the party of Trump and all evidence of this Reagan character have been erased

Trump's GOP is just a consequence of Reagan's "contributions".
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2018, 12:17:25 PM »

Who's Reagan?

Actually if you look at policies the GOP is more the party of George W Bush

SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2018, 12:27:50 PM »

Reagan has a mixed legacy.  His foreign policy enabled us to have victory over the Soviet Union, and that shouldn't be sold short.  Soviet-style Communism was an evil; a totalitarian evil at its worst, and it did seek to export itself.

But his administration set into motion the sort of untrammeled corporate greed that created the top 1% we have today.  That wasn't OK.  That isn't OK.  That's the Third Worldization of America, where the ECONOMY expands, but the wealth of most of the nation's citizens contracts.

My opinion of Reagan has improved over time, but when he died, it was just another day in the life of Fuzzy Bear.  Edward Kennedy, in eulogizing RFK, said "My brother need not be idealized, or enlarged in death beyond what he was in life . . ."  That sentiment applies far more to Ronald Reagan than it does to RFK.  And Ronald Reagan was not the decent man that RFK was; he played on the sentiments of the common person, but his heart was with the wealthiest folks that could benefit him.

Reagan's. Foreign. Policy. Did. Nothing. 2. Hastened. The. End. Of. The. Cold. War. This is perhaps the greatest myth about Reagan's presidency, that he did anything helpful or that wasn't supported by partisan Lee and would have been followed under Democratic Administration

Historians have him ranked in the 8-12 range

That's a non sequitur. And you yourself couldn't name one specific thing Reagan did 2 speed the cold Wars end that wouldn't have been done by President Carter's second term or under a Mondale Administration. So unless you thought of something in the interim....

First of all no Carter wouldnt have done it

His foreign policy was based more on idealism(Basically like W Bush in the opposite way) than realpolitik which was what Reagan's foreign policy was based on.

Imagine spending your free time on a website dedicated to discussing history and politics while managing to be this historically illiterate.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2018, 12:28:37 PM »

Who's Reagan?

The GOP is like a zombie thats been shot a bunch of times but still barely limps forward. The whole party is out of ideas and regurgitating the same slop since the 80s
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2018, 12:38:51 PM »

Who's Reagan?

The GOP is like a zombie thats been shot a bunch of times but still barely limps forward. The whole party is out of ideas and regurgitating the same slop since the 80s
yeah that's true.i'm tired of hearing about tax cuts
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2018, 12:43:37 PM »

Hot takes!
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2018, 12:51:21 PM »

Who's Reagan?

It's like the guy whose glory years have long since faded away, but they so desperately want to relive them without realizing those years are gone.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2018, 12:53:22 PM »

Who's Reagan?

It's like the guy whose glory years have long since faded away, but they so desperately want to relive them without realizing those years are gone.
Spot on!
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2018, 01:32:28 PM »

Chef Mondale with another fresh batch of hot takes

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2018, 08:52:30 AM »

Who's Reagan?

That's right, but Gingrich's "contribution" is much larger.
Kwal
Rookie
Marshall Islands

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -6.70

« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2018, 04:14:29 PM »

junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2018, 06:58:46 PM »

Who's Reagan?

That's right, but Gingrich's "contribution" is much larger.

While that is true....Democrats being weak enabled Gingrich....as Steny Hoyer put it:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Hopefully Dems wise up and stop hoping the GOP will act in good faith. They never will and bipartisanship is a waste of time
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2018, 08:03:04 AM »

Fortunately you aren't.

I don't like to pretend I'm better than I am. I'll admit if I had political power I'd use it to benefit myself however I legally could. That's better than most Americans who lie and say they would be some kind of incorruptible saint who would look out for "the common man."

I don't blame people for wanting to get as much as they can for themselves even at the expense of everyone else. I don't see why I should care about what becomes of someone who was rude to me or opposed me.

Honesty in a totally self-centered greedbag is not such a virtue as to cancel out all that person's vices and compel my vote.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies