FIFA World Cup 2018 (Russia) Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 06:40:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  FIFA World Cup 2018 (Russia) Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 28
Author Topic: FIFA World Cup 2018 (Russia) Thread  (Read 24829 times)
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: June 26, 2018, 01:05:32 PM »

1) Just want to say that I find Americans (like commentators on FOX) picking up the odd European verbiage for singular team unites (e.g., "England ARE going to advance") absolutely hilarious. Tongue  Not getting into a debate about it (though I stand firmly with the usual American way making more grammatical sense), it just sounds funny when a soccer announcer with a standard American accent does it, LOL.

We had a British exchange teacher in high school for some weeks. We were dealing with that subject in our English class at that time, and she told us not to use the plural form. It was grammatically correct, but it sounded too formal and too posh, she said, and only few Birtons would use the plural form in everyday English.

2) According to the New York Times, Mexico can still be eliminated and Germany and Sweden (the two teams I'm pullin' for because Fox told me to root for my roots!) can still advance if the following happens:

- Germany beats South Korea
- Sweden beats Mexico by at least two goals

Fingers crossed. Smiley

Actually, I hope that Mexico is going to advance to the knockout stage as I yearn for a return match to show them what we got. 😈
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #251 on: June 26, 2018, 02:54:50 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2018, 03:01:28 PM by PittsburghSteel »

Croatia has defeated Iceland and Nigeria has lost their match as well. That means Messi and Argentina have qualified, and Iceland is heading home.

Side Note: Croatia is only 1 of 2 teams so far to have a perfect 9-point score.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #252 on: June 26, 2018, 02:55:53 PM »

Unbelievable. Iceland dominated. So close. Cry There goes my perfect bracket. I needed the opposite result in that match.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #253 on: June 26, 2018, 03:04:55 PM »

Ok, I'm officially supporting Argentina now. They don't deserve it, but who cares. Messi deserves it for everything he's done the past decade. Sure, Ronaldo is a phenomenal talented player with an extreme drive, but Messi is just godly. Pure skill. Even though we haven't seen that so far Tongue.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #254 on: June 26, 2018, 03:09:29 PM »

Croatia and Argentina have classified to the Round of 16
Iceland and Nigeria are eliminated

Croatia will play against Denmark, and Argentina against France
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #255 on: June 26, 2018, 03:44:57 PM »

1) Just want to say that I find Americans (like commentators on FOX) picking up the odd European verbiage for singular team unites (e.g., "England ARE going to advance") absolutely hilarious. Tongue  Not getting into a debate about it (though I stand firmly with the usual American way making more grammatical sense), it just sounds funny when a soccer announcer with a standard American accent does it, LOL.

We had a British exchange teacher in high school for some weeks. We were dealing with that subject in our English class at that time, and she told us not to use the plural form. It was grammatically correct, but it sounded too formal and too posh, she said, and only few Birtons would use the plural form in everyday English.

2) According to the New York Times, Mexico can still be eliminated and Germany and Sweden (the two teams I'm pullin' for because Fox told me to root for my roots!) can still advance if the following happens:

Fingers crossed. Smiley

Actually, I hope that Mexico is going to advance to the knockout stage as I yearn for a return match to show them what we got. 😈

Curious how that British teacher justified that.  I don't think it sounds pompous or correct, just strange.  "England is" is pretty clearly referring to the unit that is the team of England or the unit that is the country of England.  "England are" just seems like a really lazy, socially-normalized-in-soccer way of saying "the English are" to me.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind Germany beating Mexico in a rematch!  Just feel bad for Sweden, and I gotta give my mom's side of the ancestry equation some love, too! Tongue
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #256 on: June 26, 2018, 03:59:05 PM »

Yeah, I actually hope Mexico will be eliminated. Most Mexicans probably do too, since it means their national soccer team isn't actually cursed.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #257 on: June 26, 2018, 04:01:59 PM »

Argentina/France should be a very good match.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #258 on: June 26, 2018, 04:53:39 PM »

Is there any reason why they are now playing 2 games at the same time at 4pm and 8pm ?

It's highly annoying if 2 games are starting at the same time ...

What's wrong with starting the 4 games at 2pm, 4pm, 6pm and 8pm instead ?

You can thank your fellow Austrians for that, after that 1982 fixed match with the Germans.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #259 on: June 26, 2018, 09:11:32 PM »

Fingers crossed. Smiley
If Germany beats South Korea and Sweden beats Mexico 1-0 then Mexico are out.
Tirnam
France

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.35

« Reply #260 on: June 27, 2018, 01:32:45 AM »

Argentina/France should be a very good match.

France saved so much energy during the group phase, they better do a great match Saturday...
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #261 on: June 27, 2018, 01:48:58 AM »

Curious how that British teacher justified that.  I don't think it sounds pompous or correct, just strange.  "England is" is pretty clearly referring to the unit that is the team of England or the unit that is the country of England.  "England are" just seems like a really lazy, socially-normalized-in-soccer way of saying "the English are" to me.

It makes sense to me--I think of it as referring to "England" the team. Just like how you'd say "the Cubs are" you'd say "England are." Not sure if that's correct or it just /feels/ correct because of English soccer commentary and that's how I justify it.

Regarding the matches, I'm just glad I feel no hope about Argentina advancing to the knockout rounds, so I'm surprisingly calm, I'm going to sleep like a baby tonight Grin

Did you stay calm? Tongue

It's funny how a quick glance at which teams advanced out of groups B and D makes it look like "business as usual," which is the opposite result of what you get if you watched the games. What is that? A re-upset? Tongue
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #262 on: June 27, 2018, 03:43:41 AM »

Goodbye Iceland Sad
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #263 on: June 27, 2018, 08:50:19 AM »

I have an "eye appointment" today that will start about 5 minutes into the second half of Germany's and Sweden's games. Smiley
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #264 on: June 27, 2018, 08:54:29 AM »

Germany needs to win by 2 goals in order to definitely advance to the knockout stage.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #265 on: June 27, 2018, 09:00:46 AM »

The Turk and Sultan Erdogan supporter Mesut Özil refused to sing our national hymn once again. 👎🏻😡
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #266 on: June 27, 2018, 09:00:59 AM »

Germany needs to win by 2 goals in order to definitely advance to the knockout stage.

Here it is, folks - RINO Tom's dream scenario that gets Germany and Sweden through!!  (I think...):

Germany 3
S. Korea 0

Sweden 2
Mexico 0

HERE WE GO! Smiley
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #267 on: June 27, 2018, 09:13:44 AM »

Here it is, folks - RINO Tom's dream scenario that gets Germany and Sweden through!!  (I think...):

Germany 3
S. Korea 0

Sweden 2
Mexico 0

HERE WE GO! Smiley

Germany only need a 2:0.
And Sweden only needs a 1:0 against Mexico.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #268 on: June 27, 2018, 09:50:18 AM »

Germany 3
S. Korea 0

Sweden 2
Mexico 0

HERE WE GO! Smiley

Germany only need a 2:0.
And Sweden only needs a 1:0 against Mexico.

I was going by the NYT article I read that listed Mexico's "nightmare scenario" as a Germany win and a Mexico loss by 2+.  I added the 3-0 win for Germany just to make sure that Sweden and Mexico didn't sneak in ... but I trust you. Tongue
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #269 on: June 27, 2018, 09:56:15 AM »

I was going by the NYT article I read that listed Mexico's "nightmare scenario" as a Germany win and a Mexico loss by 2+.  I added the 3-0 win for Germany just to make sure that Sweden and Mexico didn't sneak in ... but I trust you. Tongue

The nightmare scenario for Germany would be a tie against South Korea and a Swedish win against Mexico. Undecided
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #270 on: June 27, 2018, 09:57:18 AM »

I was going by the NYT article I read that listed Mexico's "nightmare scenario" as a Germany win and a Mexico loss by 2+.  I added the 3-0 win for Germany just to make sure that Sweden and Mexico didn't sneak in ... but I trust you. Tongue

The nightmare scenario for Germany would be a tie against South Korea and a Swedish win against Mexico. Undecided

Or just getting crushed by South Korea and then everything else doesn't matter. It won't happen, but it would be glorious.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #271 on: June 27, 2018, 10:11:46 AM »

Sweden has just scored a goal against Mexico, leading to a temporary knockout of Germany. Embarrassed
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #272 on: June 27, 2018, 10:12:38 AM »

Sweden has just scored a goal against Mexico, leading to a temporary knockout of Germany. Embarrassed

They just need another one, and we need one more, too!!
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #273 on: June 27, 2018, 10:16:55 AM »

They just need another one, and we need one more, too!!

Never had I thought that I would be thankful for a Mexican goal. Tongue
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #274 on: June 27, 2018, 10:22:39 AM »

2nd goal for Sweden against Mexico. Cry
Now we truly need to win. Embarrassed
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 28  
« previous next »
Jump to: