What would it take for you to move to another country?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:24:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What would it take for you to move to another country?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: What would it take for you to move to another country?  (Read 3821 times)
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2018, 09:20:24 AM »

Every young white American should spend at least six months to a year in East Asia (preferably Greater China) doing anything but teaching English or some "save the world" kind of bullsh**t. (real expat job/secondment, foreign service, international internship, academic program, etc.) Everyone I know who's done it is a far more developed individual than those who have not. I say white because anyone who is not white will have a miserable time due to the extreme levels of racism in those countries.

lol i'd find a way out of it as im sure most people would.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2018, 12:04:28 PM »

I've lived in three different countries in my life, and because of where I grew up, I was around loads of immigrants and expats of various sorts.

Honestly, how much you enjoy living in a foreign country is totally down to you. If you resent it and don't make any effort to integrate*, then of course you'll hate it, and will come away convinced that the locals are small minded racists and the place you live in is soulless and boring. If you make an effort, people will reciprocate, because that's what they do, and you could have the best time of your life.

As for taking kids abroad, it won't have any impact on their prospects. It might cause some concerns re-identity down the line, because people struggle with the idea that having multiple national identities can be a thing, but it really depends on where they end up and who they lvive around.

*This is a much bigger problem with "expats" (and especially anglophone ones tbh) than it is with "immigrants", which is a fact that is rarely remarked on because those sorts of "expats" tend to be nice middle class types who live life totally removed from the host culture. I know Americans of Brits who lived in Geneva for 10 years or more and spoke only the most basic French, and complained about the locals being racist. The arrogance of that is truly stunning.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies