Democrats only please...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 06:41:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Democrats only please...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Democrats only please...  (Read 4033 times)
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2005, 09:23:47 AM »

Now if only he'd get rid of the pro-affirmative action stance...

Do you really consider affirmative action an issue anymore?
Well, I doubt affirmative action is much of an issue in New Hampshire, but in the South, where qualified people are regularly rejected because someone chose a minority instead, it's still an issue.

This assumes the job was the white's to begin with and a black came along and stole it. Affirmative action merely requires an employer to publically announce a vacancy and then consider a variety of applicants, including qualified blacks if any apply. Since the late 1970s, it has been illegal to hire an applicant based only on race. Your wording above implies people are being hired only because they are black, and not because they are also qualified. I'm surprised someone as intelligent as you is falling for the assertion that unqualified blacks are stealing jobs from whites. In fact, the opposite is sometimes true that well-connected whites are getting jobs because of their connections and not their qualifications, thus denying a qualified minority applicant a real opportunity to compete for it.

Thank you.  I'm so glad there's another A/A supporter on this board.  I'm tired of being one of two who speak out in its favor.
I'm also a supporter of affirmative action.  The sad thing is that most of my "liberal" friends aren't.  Usually the people who complain about A/A are B students with high SAT scores who somehow feel entitled.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2005, 12:25:35 PM »

Now if only he'd get rid of the pro-affirmative action stance...

Do you really consider affirmative action an issue anymore?
Well, I doubt affirmative action is much of an issue in New Hampshire, but in the South, where qualified people are regularly rejected because someone chose a minority instead, it's still an issue.

This assumes the job was the white's to begin with and a black came along and stole it. Affirmative action merely requires an employer to publically announce a vacancy and then consider a variety of applicants, including qualified blacks if any apply. Since the late 1970s, it has been illegal to hire an applicant based only on race. Your wording above implies people are being hired only because they are black, and not because they are also qualified. I'm surprised someone as intelligent as you is falling for the assertion that unqualified blacks are stealing jobs from whites. In fact, the opposite is sometimes true that well-connected whites are getting jobs because of their connections and not their qualifications, thus denying a qualified minority applicant a real opportunity to compete for it.

Thank you.  I'm so glad there's another A/A supporter on this board.  I'm tired of being one of two who speak out in its favor.
I'm also a supporter of affirmative action.  The sad thing is that most of my "liberal" friends aren't.  Usually the people who complain about A/A are B students with high SAT scores who somehow feel entitled.
Believing that one should be treated fairly is feeling "entitled"?

I'm ok with some forms of class affirmative action but race affirmative action is unconstitutional and reverse-discrimination.
Blank Slate
Rookie

« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2005, 11:01:07 PM »

I'm going to add two Governors to this list (I really think the Democrats are going to need to nominate a Governor, of course three of the Governors on this list of mine need to be re-elected in 2006, it does look though that all three have the potential, at this point, to be re-elected by good decent margins); also my opinion of both Senator Evan Bayh and Russ Feingold have totally switched since the confirmation on Roberts vote (I use to be more opposed to Bayh, but now find myself more not liking Feingold, what was Feingold thinking?)  The way I will work for whom in the primaries for the candidates does not match up with my level of working for the candidate in the general, mainly because I don't want and don't believe that either Biden, Feingold, Edwards or Clinton should run for the nomination, all are possible VP contenders though:

In the primaries:

Senator Evan Bayh                     9
Senator Joe Biden                       0
Senator Russ Feingold                2
Senator Hillary Clinton                2

Governor Bill Richardson           10
Governor Mark Warner               9
Governor Janet Napolitano         8
Governor Kathleen Sebelius       8
Governor Tom Vilsack                 2

Former VP Al Gore                     10
Former Senator John Edwards    0