What's your favorite Christian heresy? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:58:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  What's your favorite Christian heresy? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What's your favorite Christian heresy?  (Read 4028 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: May 29, 2018, 09:37:09 PM »

Adoptionism.  I find it the only credible way to have the crucifixion not be a farce. Jesus has to be both man and god for the crucifixion to make sense, yet he cannot be in full control of the Divine attributes during it or it becomes a farcical show.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 12:53:14 PM »

Yeah, I have an extremely poor view of Gnosticism. It certainly wasn't at all about class liberation, so I have no idea why PSOL is embracing it. The whole thrust of early Gnosticism was that only a select few highly educated people (and thus certainly of the establishment, just not the church establishment, not that it makes much sense to speak of a church establishment when speaking of the early church) were going to be able to escape this corrupt material world created by the demiurge. (Indeed, Gnosticism is probably the earliest documented source of an explicit statement of predestination to be found within Christianity. — The Jewish Essenes also had a rather explicit doctrine of predestination, hence the qualifier "within Christianity" .)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 03:40:32 PM »

The whole thrust of early Gnosticism was that only a select few highly educated people (and thus certainly of the establishment, just not the church establishment, not that it makes much sense to speak of a church establishment when speaking of the early church) were going to be able to escape this corrupt material world created by the demiurge.

On that point, were they not in agreement with the karmic and Taoist paths of south and east Asia?

Yes and no.

While some of the karmic religions, especially Buddhism and Jainism, are of the opinion that this world is essentially corrupt and that it is both desirable and possible to detach from it, the core Daoist teachings are focused not upon escaping a cycle of rebirth and redeath but upon how to best act within this life, regardless of whether you think it is a one shot, or part of a cycle. I'll grant that Buddhism has had a significant impact upon East Asian thought, but it isn't integral to an understanding of the Dao. I am decidedly not a Buddhist, nor would I want to be, but I find the philosophy of the Dao quite compatible, in both its Taoist and Confucianist modes, with a wide variety of cosmological beliefs, not just  resurrection.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies