Oklahoma and West Virginia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:41:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Oklahoma and West Virginia
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Oklahoma and West Virginia  (Read 1983 times)
christian peralta
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 13, 2018, 11:04:48 PM »

Do you think that in 2020, Oklahoma and West Virginia will have all of they counties go to the republican nominee or some might go democratic?
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 12:50:40 AM »

It depends if the dem is winning by a lot nationally and there's a conservative third party bid then possibly
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 06:04:51 AM »

I'll go out on a limb and say that a Democrat wins Oklahoma County, OK before flipping any county in West Virginia. Muskogee County, OK could be a close second to drop from the basket of deplorables. As for West Virginia, it's a three-way tie between Monongalia, Kanawha, and Jefferson.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 07:48:57 AM »

I'll go out on a limb and say that a Democrat wins Oklahoma County, OK before flipping any county in West Virginia. Muskogee County, OK could be a close second to drop from the basket of deplorables. As for West Virginia, it's a three-way tie between Monongalia, Kanawha, and Jefferson.

Seconding this. OKC is eventually going to be voting dem if the current coalitions hold, I'm just not sure that 2020 is that year unless there is a big dem wave. It is definitely coming up soon, the 2020 gerrymandering talk already mentions cutting the county to preserve the 5-0 for later cycles.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 08:56:56 AM »

Seconding this. OKC is eventually going to be voting dem if the current coalitions hold, I'm just not sure that 2020 is that year unless there is a big dem wave. It is definitely coming up soon, the 2020 gerrymandering talk already mentions cutting the county to preserve the 5-0 for later cycles.

Which is why I think there is a referendum in place to do something to create more independent redistricting.

Also, I could see Monongalia (college kids) and/or Jefferson (DCers) going Dem before Oklahoma.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 03:11:15 PM »

I think a Democratic nominee is much more likely to win counties in WV before OK, for the following reasons:

-OK's PVI is R+20 compared to WV's R+19.
-The last time Democrats won any counties in OK was 2000, while they last won any WV counties in 2008.
-Democrats have a plurality of registered voters in WV, but Republicans have a majority of registered voters in OK.

I think that if the next Democratic nominee is an establishment candidate, he or she will probably be shut out in both states again; if the Democratic nominee is an economic populist, then he or she will likely win some counties in WV, but whether or not any counties in OK flip will depend on how big the national PV margin is.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 04:55:03 PM »

West Virginia

First county in WV to flip: Monongolia
First county in OK to flip: Oklahoma
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 10:02:40 PM »

Oklahoma.  I think it has peaked for Republicans.  Don't get me wrong, they'll win it for another 30 years, but the statewide margin has peaked.  OKC will eventually go the way of NE-02 and KS-03.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 03:52:00 PM »

The most likely scenario I think is Oklahoma County either in a Democratic mini-landslide in the next 2-3 election cycles or regularly after that. I don't see any flipping in West Virginia besides 3 counties (Jefferson, Kanawha, and Monongalia) getting close.
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 11:28:53 AM »

West Virginia

First county in WV to flip: Monongolia
First county in OK to flip: Oklahoma
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies