Queen Elizabeth's successor
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:47:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Queen Elizabeth's successor
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Poll
Question: Who will succeed her to the throne?
Prince Charles
Prince William
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Queen Elizabeth's successor  (Read 9371 times)
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2018, 01:15:31 AM »

William. Charles lost that because of cheating on Princess Di with Camilla.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2018, 11:12:47 AM »

Accidentally voted for William.

I think Charles should be king for a year and then step aside for William.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2018, 04:53:34 PM »

In view of the occasion I think it's time to bump this thread. 🤴
Happy birthday to the longest-serving to the longest-serving heir apparent ever! 🤣🎊🎁🎉🎂

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2018, 04:59:26 PM »

I still believe that Prince Charles will succeed to the throne, reign as King Charles III, and will most likely a fairly short reign.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2018, 05:16:09 PM »

William. Charles lost that because of cheating on Princess Di with Camilla.

If every heir to the British throne was barred from the throne because of infidelity, history would be much different than it is today.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2018, 08:52:14 PM »

At least Elizabeth II likely won't be succeeded by her great-grandchild like Louis XIV was.  Still, it would mean that the next British monarch would indeed be George VII as some people think, just not the George they were thinking of.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2018, 09:14:22 PM »

I fully believe Charles will become king. I support the monarchy and looks forward to its future.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2018, 09:26:17 PM »

At least Elizabeth II likely won't be succeeded by her great-grandchild like Louis XIV was.  Still, it would mean that the next British monarch would indeed be George VII as some people think, just not the George they were thinking of.

Is there a minimum age for kings and queens in the UK?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2018, 11:38:59 PM »

At least Elizabeth II likely won't be succeeded by her great-grandchild like Louis XIV was.  Still, it would mean that the next British monarch would indeed be George VII as some people think, just not the George they were thinking of.

Usually one has a regent if they are a child.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2018, 11:46:36 PM »

At least Elizabeth II likely won't be succeeded by her great-grandchild like Louis XIV was.  Still, it would mean that the next British monarch would indeed be George VII as some people think, just not the George they were thinking of.

And that would be one of George's seven godparents?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2018, 01:29:30 AM »

And that would be one of George's seven godparents?

Not necessarily.  It would be a regency under the Counsellors of State. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counsellor_of_State

kcguy
Romania

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2018, 08:03:42 PM »

In 1542, Mary, Queen of Scots, inherited the Scottish throne at the age of six days.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2018, 06:32:15 PM »

I wouldn't be stunned if Charles also immediately abdicated (he's certainly outspoken enough to want to remain outspoken, and the reigning monarch really isn't supposed to be as outspoken on political issues as Charles is these days) in favor of William.

Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2018, 12:25:28 PM »

In 1542, Mary, Queen of Scots, inherited the Scottish throne at the age of six days.

William III of England inherited the Principality of Orange at his birth, as his father had died a week before his birth.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2018, 11:02:18 AM »

1.  Is Charles likely to take the regal name George VII as king in homage to his grandfather?

2.  I hope QE can live to her Oak (80th) Jubilee in 2032.  She'd be 106 years old, Charles would be 84 and William 50.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2018, 07:58:01 PM »

1.  Is Charles likely to take the regal name George VII as king in homage to his grandfather?

2.  I hope QE can live to her Oak (80th) Jubilee in 2032.  She'd be 106 years old, Charles would be 84 and William 50.

That's a big ask.

I think she'll live to see her 70 year Jubilee in 2022, but probably not much longer.

Then Charles will be King for 5-10 years (probably abdicate by the time he gets to his late 80s) and then William
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2018, 09:24:12 PM »

It will be Charles, unless he predeseases her. The only question is, will he be the King of Great Britain, or just of England.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2018, 10:04:10 PM »

Charles——-William———George

Nothing out of the ordinary
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2018, 10:44:55 AM »

It will be Charles, unless he predeseases her. The only question is, will he be the King of Great Britain, or just of England.

In the unlikely event that Scotland becomes independent of the UK, it is even more unlikely that they abolish the monarchy (the SNP's position during the last referendum was a continuation of the personal union between England and Scotland). Therefore, Charles would be "King of Great Britain" in the same way James I through Anne were—officially he'd be King of England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and the Commonwealth, but it would often be abbreviated to "King of Great Britain."
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2018, 10:46:35 AM »

In the unlikely event that Scotland becomes independent of the UK, it is even more unlikely that they abolish the monarchy (the SNP's position during the last referendum was a continuation of the personal union between England and Scotland). Therefore, Charles would be "King of Great Britain" in the same way James I through Anne were—officially he'd be King of England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and the Commonwealth, but it would often be abbreviated to "King of Great Britain."

Well, at least Northern Ireland seems likely to be lost by then Smiley
AudmanOut
United States

« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2018, 06:59:26 PM »
« Edited: December 12, 2018, 07:12:02 PM by AudmanOut »

I hope it’s willam but I know that likely won’t happen, hopefully Charles can me king for a year and then abdicate.I support the monarchy and wish it a bright future and I also wish Queen Elizabeth II to be healthy and live to the 70th anniversary of her reign.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2018, 08:14:29 PM »

Queen Elizabeth has done a splendid job at leading the UK through its turbulent history over all these last decades, so it will be the end of an era when she passes away. Hoping for the new one to be of renewal and modernity myself... But it will likely just be Charles as a below-average king.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2022, 11:39:17 AM »

In the light of recent events I'm gonna bump this poll.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2022, 12:17:10 PM »

Charles is still going strong and the Queen regrettably seems like she may be approaching the end, so obviously Charles.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2022, 01:38:56 PM »

The living heir apparent, whomever that individual is at the moment of Elizabeth's death. Presuming that it's still Charles, he immediately accedes to the throne & becomes King then. If he doesn't give way (lol), bypassing him for William would require Parliament (so lol). Now, if we instead hypothesize a dramatically unfortunate event that results in Prince George unexpectedly becoming King, the currently-applicable Regency Acts 1937 would kick in, resulting in... Prince Andrew being regent on account of Prince Harry's lack of current domicile in the U.K. Of course, an Andrew regency would be intolerable enough to either force Parliament's hand into amending the Regency Acts to let Kate (or Beatrice, Eugenie, Edward, or Anne, or literally any living non-Andrew royal, in the event that it just can't be Kate or, say, Camilla for reasons) be the regent, or force Harry & Meghan's hand into immediately moving back home, esp. in order to actually take care of the kids.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies