Multiple students killed in shooting at Texas high school
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 05:48:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Multiple students killed in shooting at Texas high school
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Multiple students killed in shooting at Texas high school  (Read 5532 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2018, 05:08:18 PM »

Clown Lt. Governor Dan Patrick blows the lid of the real culprit behind the school shootings:

Guns don't kill people, fire codes kill people!
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2018, 05:39:42 PM »

Clown Lt. Governor Dan Patrick blows the lid of the real culprit behind the school shootings:

This looks like something a mass shooter would call for--that much easier to trap people inside.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2018, 06:04:09 PM »

The Republican party's best intellectuals and/or leaders at work right here.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2018, 06:06:27 PM »

Gov. Greg Abbott of Texas said the gunman used a shotgun and a .38 revolver, and both weapons appeared to have been obtained from the suspect’s father, who legally owned them.
Watch for a push for parental liability laws in many state legislatures next year.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2018, 06:11:50 PM »

Gov. Greg Abbott of Texas said the gunman used a shotgun and a .38 revolver, and both weapons appeared to have been obtained from the suspect’s father, who legally owned them.
Watch for a push for parental liability laws in many state legislatures next year.

If Republicans are in control, I expect nothing will be done, maybe even make it easier to arm more people.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2018, 06:15:57 PM »

This is what happens when you put a shock jock radio host as number 2 in your Government.

I think Dan Patrick may well be the most incompetent and frankly stupid candidate in higher office in all the US.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2018, 06:40:51 PM »

Wow. What a horrifying stat.
Our military men and women are specifically trained for and know of the dangers they may face. Many are sent to battlefields and on special missions with the enemy shooting at them.
Our children are not. They go to school to learn. But yet, they die from guns more than our soldiers (and here on our own homeland, not abroad).
This is beyond anything imaginable.

Here's another horrifying stat: American kids aged 15-19 are 82 times more likely to die from gun violence than their peers in the rest of the developed world.

Eighty.  Two.

Anyone want to claim the U.S. has 82 times as much mental illness as the rest of the developed world?

THE EASY AVAILABILITY OF GUNS IS THE PROBLEM.  Other factors are insignificant in comparison.
 Anyone who denies this is willfully blind.

Edit: forgot the references.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/05/its-the-guns/560771/

https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/10.1377/hlthaff.2017.0767
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2018, 07:17:44 PM »

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2018, 07:33:45 PM »

Apparently the new thing is to say "God Bless" rather than "Thoughts and Prayers"

"Early reports not looking good?" What? When does any school shooting, at any point in time, even have the potential to look good?
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2018, 07:36:06 PM »

Apparently the new thing is to say "God Bless" rather than "Thoughts and Prayers"

"Early reports not looking good?" What? When does any school shooting, at any point in time, even have the potential to look good?

He's a moron. I hate him with every fiber of my being.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2018, 07:42:13 PM »

Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings NEEDS to run for TX 32nd in 2020 if Sessions wins in 2018.

This thread is full of offensive, ignorant, and just plain thoughtless comments, but this post brings all three to a new low, and with a distinctive Atlas twist, too. Bravo.
Oh and what would you have us do?  Thoughts and prayers?  Try to outdo eachother in shock and outrage?  Not discuss it at all?

Supporting elected officials that want to change our gun culture to run for higher office is the best and most effective thing one can do in this situation. 

It's a grotesque comment, surely you can see that.

Also, "thoughts and prayers" is a condolence, not a punchline. When it comes from someone who isn't running for office or pretending to be a politician online, there's no reason to treat the line in bad faith, as much as that runs contrary to the glib and polarized terms of our cultural politics.

Anyway, I'm not aware of politicians with compelling ideas about how to make this country a less murderous place. I would happily support them if they existed.

The symbolic firearms legislation that's up for debate in this country is chiefly about comforting paranoid parents who'd be better served by turning off the television news and spending less time on their newsfeeds. If the public cared about "gun culture," they'd have been motivated to change long ago by the many thousands of murders and even more numerous firearms suicides that take place outside of schools.

Mass shootings aren't a crisis because of the kill count, or even because of where they take place. They're a crisis because of how they are discussed. Half the country has been made to feel like their children are in deadly peril every day, and the other half is worried about their theoretical right to water the Tree of Liberty with blood. This is deranged.

At least symbolic gun control has the virtue of doing less harm than the move to morph our public schools from open campuses into prison complexes under the watchful eye of armed guards with the authority to arrest students.

For some reason it is the least benign measures that are the least controversial. People seem to believe that their liberty is more threatened by some of the most tepid firearms regulations conceivable than by the dystopian setting of constant control and monitoring that they are creating for their children.

This is a tremendous post, thank you for writing it. Agree wholeheartedly, and the issue IS fundamentally a cultural one.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2018, 09:21:45 PM »

Horrible that this has become such a norm. I often find myself wondering what would happen if there were a shooting at my school, as terrifying as it is to imagine.

Anyway, since we’re not allowed to suggest laws restricting gun ownership, and god seems to be busy at the moment, I’d love to hear some sensible suggestions from Republicans about how we can keep children safe, since thoughts and prayers don’t seem to be working. Not being snarky/sarcastic, I would be interested to hear a new idea from a conservative that doesn’t involve arming teachers.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2018, 11:34:52 PM »

Horrible that this has become such a norm. I often find myself wondering what would happen if there were a shooting at my school, as terrifying as it is to imagine.

Anyway, since we’re not allowed to suggest laws restricting gun ownership, and god seems to be busy at the moment, I’d love to hear some sensible suggestions from Republicans about how we can keep children safe, since thoughts and prayers don’t seem to be working. Not being snarky/sarcastic, I would be interested to hear a new idea from a conservative that doesn’t involve arming teachers.
Some local schools are putting what are known as "bulletproof safe spaces" in classrooms:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZRm3S0oGUU
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2018, 06:32:30 AM »

Over/under 70% that within a week Fox News and Sanchez will attack and smear the survivors of this shooting who will dare to speak about gun control.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2018, 11:58:36 AM »

It is the morning of the following day after this incident, and there are families that woke-up without their child in their home.
We should think about that, as our "normal" day goes by.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2018, 03:14:26 PM »

Thoughts and prayers to the families of the victims.

Probably rejected or ridiculed by his high school sweet heart.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2018, 03:24:06 PM »

The way you know that this sort of event is normalized is how it's covered by the media. When my phone buzzed with the news alert that there were multiple fatalities at a high school, I turned on CNN and found them doing a 5-minute segment on Mueller and Russia. This is so commonplace now that school shootings are being reduced to the same amount of coverage that your run-of-the-mill murder in Detroit gets.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2018, 04:57:13 PM »

If only these little wenches opened their legs we wouldn't have all these shootings.
Amirite bro?
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2018, 05:02:41 PM »

If only these little wenches opened their legs we wouldn't have all these shootings.
Amirite bro?

Lyndon is actually right for once.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2018, 08:54:25 PM »

Amirite bro?

I don't think that this accurately captures the situation. Time and time again, we have seen with these shootings that the perpetrators have some kind of mental or other serious emotional difficulty in their lives. While this doesn't, by any means, justify what they did, it goes to show that there is much more to these situations then one sees on the surface.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2018, 09:05:39 PM »

Amirite bro?

I don't think that this accurately captures the situation. Time and time again, we have seen with these shootings that the perpetrators have some kind of mental or other serious emotional difficulty in their lives. While this doesn't, by any means, justify what they did, it goes to show that there is much more to these situations then one sees on the surface.
yes the republicans would def say the same thing about MS-13 members
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2018, 09:10:11 PM »

Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings NEEDS to run for TX 32nd in 2020 if Sessions wins in 2018.

This thread is full of offensive, ignorant, and just plain thoughtless comments, but this post brings all three to a new low, and with a distinctive Atlas twist, too. Bravo.
Oh and what would you have us do?  Thoughts and prayers?  Try to outdo eachother in shock and outrage?  Not discuss it at all?

Supporting elected officials that want to change our gun culture to run for higher office is the best and most effective thing one can do in this situation. 

It's a grotesque comment, surely you can see that.

Also, "thoughts and prayers" is a condolence, not a punchline. When it comes from someone who isn't running for office or pretending to be a politician online, there's no reason to treat the line in bad faith, as much as that runs contrary to the glib and polarized terms of our cultural politics.

Anyway, I'm not aware of politicians with compelling ideas about how to make this country a less murderous place. I would happily support them if they existed.

The symbolic firearms legislation that's up for debate in this country is chiefly about comforting paranoid parents who'd be better served by turning off the television news and spending less time on their newsfeeds. If the public cared about "gun culture," they'd have been motivated to change long ago by the many thousands of murders and even more numerous firearms suicides that take place outside of schools.

Mass shootings aren't a crisis because of the kill count, or even because of where they take place. They're a crisis because of how they are discussed. Half the country has been made to feel like their children are in deadly peril every day, and the other half is worried about their theoretical right to water the Tree of Liberty with blood. This is deranged.

At least symbolic gun control has the virtue of doing less harm than the move to morph our public schools from open campuses into prison complexes under the watchful eye of armed guards with the authority to arrest students.

For some reason it is the least benign measures that are the least controversial. People seem to believe that their liberty is more threatened by some of the most tepid firearms regulations conceivable than by the dystopian setting of constant control and monitoring that they are creating for their children.

I am curious what you mean by "symbolic gun control".

I do agree that, as far as mass shooters go, our children are in nowhere near the danger the media makes it out to be.  I would point out that children ARE in danger of physical attack by guns and other means at the hands of other students, due to the presence of gangs and criminality on many high school (and even middle school) campuses.  There's a reason kids are bringing guns to school, and that reason is that their scared, and the school authorities can't remedy the problem.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2018, 09:24:40 PM »

Amirite bro?

yes the republicans would def say the same thing about MS-13 members

What do you mean by this?
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2018, 10:45:33 PM »

Looks like we're starting to see what a real POS this murderer was even before he fired the first shot:

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-texas-shooter-20180519-story.html

"One of Pagourtzis' classmates who died in the attack, Shana Fisher, "had 4 months of problems from this boy," her mother, Sadie Rodriguez, wrote in a private message to the Los Angeles Times on Facebook. "He kept making advances on her and she repeatedly told him no."

Pagourtzis continued to get more aggressive, and she finally stood up to him and embarrassed him in class, Rodriguez said. "A week later he opens fire on everyone he didn't like," she wrote. "Shana being the first one." Rodriguez didn't say how she knew her daughter was the first victim."
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2018, 11:06:01 PM »

Looks like we're starting to see what a real POS this murderer was even before he fired the first shot:

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-texas-shooter-20180519-story.html

"One of Pagourtzis' classmates who died in the attack, Shana Fisher, "had 4 months of problems from this boy," her mother, Sadie Rodriguez, wrote in a private message to the Los Angeles Times on Facebook. "He kept making advances on her and she repeatedly told him no."

Pagourtzis continued to get more aggressive, and she finally stood up to him and embarrassed him in class, Rodriguez said. "A week later he opens fire on everyone he didn't like," she wrote. "Shana being the first one." Rodriguez didn't say how she knew her daughter was the first victim."

Oh wow.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies