BREAKING: Joe Donnelly is a Cuck
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 09:23:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: Joe Donnelly is a Cuck
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: BREAKING: Joe Donnelly is a Cuck  (Read 3227 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2018, 05:58:43 PM »

Don't be surprised if he votes for Barrett to replace Anthony Kennedy as well.

He voted for Barrett's appeals court Nomination (along with Manchin and Kaine), so yeah. I question whether Barrett would want the job after less than a year on the appeals court, however.

Doesn't have to be Barrett, just insert any of the possible contenders.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2018, 05:58:53 PM »

He's still going to lose.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2018, 06:00:35 PM »

Ronny Jackson, kind of a dick at work and maybe an alcoholic: beyond the pale.

Gina Haspel, torturer: meh, fine.

Never change, Democrats.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2018, 06:08:59 PM »

This doesn't make sense in that Donnelly is risking pissing off his base supporters with a move that won't win him moderate/conservative voters. Reminds me of Bruce Rauners decision to fund abortions in Illinois (though this certainly is not a suicidal move of that magnitude and Donnelly is still in a very competitive race for his seat
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2018, 06:19:51 PM »

If Donnely still loses, the moral of the story is that if you meet Republicans half way, you will end up with nothing.
NEW JERSEY FOR MENENDEZ
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2018, 06:37:38 PM »

I don't give a sh!t about him voting for Haspel. We need that seat.
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2018, 06:42:24 PM »

IN isn't as rabidly conservative as some seem to think. Given the national environment, this seat is a tossup at best for Republicans.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2018, 07:14:21 PM »

The reality is that Donnelly is still going to face millions of dollars in attack ads claiming that he supports terrorism, that he supports illegals etc etc.

Sure I get not pulling a Gillibrand and opposing everyone; but if the Republican Presidential Nominee opposes Haspel, as a Democrat you've got every right to oppose her.

There's nothing worse than this sort of virtue signalling politics (a word I hate to use), if you support torture, if you support the Bush era CIA tactics then great support Haspel. But don't support her because you think it's going to somehow win you some imaginary voter

I agree with you here. Voting for Trump's nominees does nothing to allay the bad feeling against many of these Senators, by many of the voters in their states. No matter what they do, they will still be considered a puppet of Chuck Schumer. Also, just voting for someone like Haspel is morally indefensible.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2018, 07:14:54 PM »

Yeah this is disappointing. I hate that we need people like Donnelly to get a Democratic majority in the Senate. If he had supported Haspel from the beginning, like Manchin (as much as I dislike that decision) I would probably be slightly less frustrated. But the fact that Drumpf called Donnelly out on it and then he just capitulated so easily, is really infuriating. I don't even think it will help Donnelly that much in his race as much as he thinks it will. People are going to forget about this at some point in the near future and anyone who votes based off of Drumpf's cronies getting approved by a candidate, aren't going to support a Democrat anyway. What's worse is that this may be the vote that decides Haspel's fate and subjects the country to the torturer once again as she gains a promotion, for virtually no reason.
BenBurch
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.74, S: 7.22

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2018, 07:33:41 PM »

Stuff like this is why I hate modern politics.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2018, 07:43:49 PM »

Joe Donnelly is a Republican.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2018, 07:47:59 PM »

Never change, Democrats.

I mean, I get that you're upset (as you should be), but this is an extremely hot take because 1) Jackson was someone who was grossly unfit in general to run a Federal Agency, much like Ben Carson, and 2) one Democratic Senator approving of Haspel's nomination has no real bearing on the opinions of the rest of the party.

I'm super disappointed in this and am wondering what Donnelly is seeing that's making him buckle here in a way that other vulnerable Senators are not. I think that's just as scary as the prospect of Haspel being approved.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2018, 07:50:56 PM »

It's funny to me that people use the term "cuck" unironically
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2018, 07:52:02 PM »

It's funny to me that people use the term "cuck" unironically

I was definitely not using it unironically.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2018, 09:42:01 PM »
« Edited: May 12, 2018, 09:48:28 PM by Loyola for Final Four »

Never change, Democrats.

I mean, I get that you're upset (as you should be), but this is an extremely hot take because 1) Jackson was someone who was grossly unfit in general to run a Federal Agency, much like Ben Carson, and 2) one Democratic Senator approving of Haspel's nomination has no real bearing on the opinions of the rest of the party.

I'm super disappointed in this and am wondering what Donnelly is seeing that's making him buckle here in a way that other vulnerable Senators are not. I think that's just as scary as the prospect of Haspel being approved.

Right. The way I see it is that Schumer and Durbin are able to whip when desired and selectively allows for defections at certain times. In Haspel's particular case, effective whipping would have meant the difference between success and failure, with McCain unavailable and Paul against.

Contrast this situation with the tax bill, when Republicans had the votes regardless and Schumer and Durbin whipped opposition so that the vote is completely partisan. The ability to whip is there, but it's selectively deployed. Democrats knew that the tax bill would be a contentious issue in the midterms and politics took over; they whipped the votes to create a clear contrast. Which is good politics, of course!

I'm disgusted with Democrats because foreign policy, foreign affairs and civil liberties are my prime motivation for generally voting for Democrats. Democrats, in turn, do not share those priorities (views generally align, but it's rarely a driving force or top priority) and it's a frustrating experience. They never particularly have, outside of a handful of libertarian minded Democrats.

They pay lip service to it when it's convenient (like in 06 and 08) but it isn't a core part of the party. The party does not enforce ideological discipline on this issue the way it does more prominently with e.g., abortion. There's zero chance any group affiliated with the party will go after Donnelly or Manchin for this issue the same way EMILY'S list went after Heath Mello. Why continue to support a party if it doesn't advocate for one's issues?

Obligatory apology for hot take too. Ronny Jackson is in no way qualified and Haspel, in terms of experience and not morals technically is.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2018, 09:48:00 PM »

Donnelly is just doing this to get reelected. If that is what he red state Dems need to do, then have at it. There's always a worse nominee down the road and we need as many Democrats in the senate as possible.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2018, 09:49:25 PM »

Yuck, but I don't actually think this will influence his re-election chances one way or the other. Super bold and edgy, I know.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2018, 10:01:26 PM »

IT'S NOT.

Who are all these undecided swing voters whose vote is pending on how he votes on CIA director?  Tell me.

This 100%. Donnelly doesn't gain anything from this aside from damnation.

In all honesty, this might cost him votes on the left, and it wouldn't be undeserved. You need moderates and somewhat conservative independents to win statewide as a Democrat in Indiana, but there is an outsized Quaker contingent in Indiana politics, and you need them to vote Democrat to up the margins in some otherwise pretty conservative parts of the state. He could lose them over this.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2018, 10:04:19 PM »

Yuck, but I don't actually think this will influence his re-election chances one way or the other. Super bold and edgy, I know.

I think he's trying to eliminate all of the possible ways Trump could attack him at any of his unhinged rallies.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2018, 10:08:02 PM »

You really think he's retiring with a same party president/senate situation?
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2018, 10:09:13 PM »

I didn't realize supporting a war criminal was the key to get Indiana voters.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2018, 10:11:50 PM »

I really doubt people will base a their senate vote on a cabinet confirmation vote.
IndustrialJustice

« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2018, 10:12:44 PM »

I think he's trying to eliminate all of the possible ways Trump could attack him at any of his unhinged rallies.

No one gives a crap about Gina Haspel.

Congrats to Joe Donnelly on his shrewd political calculation that will net him zero votes. He only had to endorse torture to do it.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2018, 10:30:13 PM »

I have said previously I think it is very unlikely. I considered putting some caveat to that effect in the post, but I figured it was more attention grabbing to focus on Donnelly's likely behavior.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2018, 10:33:35 PM »

I have said previously I think it is very unlikely. I considered putting some caveat to that effect in the post, but I figured it was more attention grabbing to focus on Donnelly's likely behavior.

I think his best opportunity would be something like 2021 with a Dem President/Republican Senate/Dem House.  There would be too much pressure to try and leave it open for 3 years.

It wouldn't surprise me if Thomas retired this year, though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies