Would Connecticut have flipped Republican if the nominees were Kasich V Clinton? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:04:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Would Connecticut have flipped Republican if the nominees were Kasich V Clinton? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Would Connecticut have flipped Republican if the nominees were Kasich V Clinton?  (Read 7576 times)
BenBurch
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.74, S: 7.22

« on: May 17, 2018, 04:41:14 PM »

LOL at Kasich winning Michigan, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, and Wisconsin.  He MAYBE could have squeezed Iowa, I will give him that. 
BenBurch
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 08:26:45 PM »

LOL at Kasich winning Michigan, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, and Wisconsin.  He MAYBE could have squeezed Iowa, I will give him that. 

Yeah, LOL!!!!!!!!

Kasich couldn't have done nearly as well in the Industrial Midwest as Trump.
BenBurch
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 12:21:14 PM »

Yeah, LOL!!!!!!!!

Kasich couldn't have done nearly as well in the Industrial Midwest as Trump.

Sure he could have.  For one, he was facing Hillary Clinton, so that alone gives him an edge.  Secondly, he has ALREADY WON a state in the industrial Midwest by a lot more than Trump did, even if it wasn't a federal race.  Third, whatever slight dropoff he'd have among these "Obama-Trump voters" (which there weren't that many of, honestly), he'd make up for by better margins in the various suburbs across Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio and Pennsylvania.

He was governor of that state, so he would do better in Ohio.  Secondly, he would certainly have done better in the suburbs, but he wouldn't have done nearly as well among WWC, certainly not enough to offset Hillary.  She still would have kept Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Michigan.  I see Kasich getting 270, exactly.  Game over. 
BenBurch
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 01:05:36 PM »

He was governor of that state, so he would do better in Ohio.  Secondly, he would certainly have done better in the suburbs, but he wouldn't have done nearly as well among WWC, certainly not enough to offset Hillary.  She still would have kept Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Michigan.  I see Kasich getting 270, exactly.  Game over. 

You’d be surprised at how much people in the upper Midwest are willing to split ticket. 20% of Walker voters in his 2012 recall voted for Obama per exit polls.

Comparing Walker to Kasich is apples to oranges.  They aren't the same.  And Obama isn't Clinton.  Obama is a better person than Hillary, and actually likeable.  Anyway, Trump is much more a populist than Kasich, especially on immigration, which made him win in the Upper Midwest. 
BenBurch
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 01:30:29 PM »

Comparing Walker to Kasich is apples to oranges.  They aren't the same.  And Obama isn't Clinton.  Obama is a better person than Hillary, and actually likeable.  Anyway, Trump is much more a populist than Kasich, especially on immigration, which made him win in the Upper Midwest.  

This is true however I wouldn’t be so certain that only Trump could’ve flipped the upper Midwest against Hillary. If I had told you a NYC billionaire Republican would win states Obama won by 5-14 points in early 2015 you would’ve rightfully called me a dumbass.

Voters are fickle and predicting their habits is hard work.

True.  To be fair, this two-party system sucks.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies