Would Connecticut have flipped Republican if the nominees were Kasich V Clinton? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:54:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Would Connecticut have flipped Republican if the nominees were Kasich V Clinton? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Would Connecticut have flipped Republican if the nominees were Kasich V Clinton?  (Read 7607 times)
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« on: May 16, 2018, 07:51:56 AM »

OSR, Kasich would not beat Clinton by 8 points and would not win OR/CT. He might win VA and CO, but those are long shots.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 02:58:19 PM »

Kasich would have won Ohio and North Carolina, probably would’ve won Iowa, and would’ve come up just short in Florida and the industrial midwest. And everyone here would be talking about what a great candidate Hillary Clinton was to overcome the adversity and be a woman and president and blah dee blah imagine how much worse Trump would have done.

Kasich was nothing more than Romney 2.0 running in a better R year. Toomey would’ve gone down and probably RonJon as well, though I could see Ayotte winning if Kasich were the nominee.

Overall I think Kasich gets 259 if he takes Florida and 230 otherwise, and is lauded as a really strong Republican / the best Rs could have done just ‘the map was set against him’. He probably would’ve lost the PV by about the same as Trump did but everyone would have talked about how Trump wouldn’t have gotten 40% and would’ve lost like 400-130 in the EC and all sorts of other nonsense.

Trump was the only R who would’ve beaten Hillary post-Christie debate. I think Rubio would have as well prior to his flop in the NH debate.
This seems accurate. Only Trump had that rust-belt appeal that pushed him over the top.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 06:58:18 PM »

I'm neither, I just don't believe Kasich would have won the rust-belt as easily. I do believe he would win NV, NH, Co, and VA though

I disagree, I think winning PA/WI was going to be easier than winning VA/NH/etc. for pretty much any Republican nominee (even someone like Cruz or Rubio), simply because those states are far more elastic, have not trended strongly Democratic in the recent past, and Democrats have a lower floor there. Most of those Midwestern states were never really solidly Democratic to begin with (remember how close WI was in 2000/2004 or how well Republicans did there in 2010 and 2014?). And the “PA is fool's gold for Republicans” narrative was always going to be disproven at some point anyway.
"Fool's gold" doesn't exist, sooner or later the other party can win that state.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies