Republicans: "torture worked on McCain", "he's dying anyways"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 04:57:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Republicans: "torture worked on McCain", "he's dying anyways"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Republicans: "torture worked on McCain", "he's dying anyways"  (Read 6721 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2018, 06:22:53 AM »

The latent admiration and defense of McCain doesn't impress me in the least bit. The only reason you like him now is because he nemesized Trump in his final years, and is basically dying a Democrat. Unlike a lot of red avatars on here, I choose to remember 2008 and the vicious things you all said about him back then (when you weren’t slut-shaming his running mate’s 17-year-old daughter, that is).

I'm not joining this bandwagon because I remember McCain's being another servilistic foot soldier in Mitch McConnell's obstructionist campaign against Obama, as well as his enthusiastic support for GWB's disastrous wars, he even wanted to extend into other countries ("bomb, bomb Iran" anybody?)

Sorry, but it looks as McCain just wants to preserve his largely manufactured "maverick" image, knowing he's got little time left, rather than taking a real stand. And if he's really making a principled stand, he's way too late for his record to be redeemed.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2018, 06:54:43 AM »

JG

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2018, 07:07:59 AM »

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2018, 08:06:03 AM »

Unless the dying person is abject evil, like Charles Manson, it is proper to treat the doomed person with some respect. So it is with people who brought about their own premature death through bad habits such as alcoholism, smoking, or drug addiction. I had much contempt for an uncle by marriage who was a loud, often obnoxious, immature fellow who literally drank himself into fatal cirrhosis. But I still treated him with kindness, visiting him in a nursing home. He loved dogs, so I brought mine to give him a little affection that he had been missing. The fog was not as judgmental about him as I was.

(At one family get-together I heard him tell a story in the presence of my father, whose car hgad been damaged in a vehicle burglary for the radio, and a great-uncle who had lost a car to auto theft.  The story culminated in him talking about buying some stolen tires. He would have surely told either my father or great-uncle that the insurance company paid for the theft of or damage to their cars. I would have told him that we all pay insurance premiums to offset car crime).

I;m very judgmental about drunkenness and drug use... but John McCain put his life on the line on behalf of his country. That says something. He suffered under the POW regime of the North Vietnamese without giving in. That says something. He endured torture.

He is far more a man than an egoistic loudmouth who has more respect for people who have been lucky in life than for those who haven't.   
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2018, 01:29:38 PM »

The latent admiration and defense of McCain doesn’t impress me in the least bit. The only reason you like him now is because he nemesized Trump in his final years, and is basically dying a Democrat. Unlike a lot of red avatars on here, I choose to remember 2008 and the vicious things you all said about him back then (when you weren’t slut-shaming his running mate’s 17-year-old daughter, that is).

And for some of the vile and downright evil sh**t that is said about President Trump and his family on this forum, I think you people should be the last ones to criticize the tastelessness of any joke.

Dying a democrat? His voting record is conservative. His votes are about 90% loyalty to his party. Wtf are you on about? Are you always this delusional? Are you just completely detached from reality?

Who should I respect more - a 24 year old in the swamp of his parents basement, or a 82 year old war hero who fought for this country for 5 years? Probably not the 24 year old acne-filled swamp creature.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2018, 01:56:49 PM »

How big of a POS do you have to be to say something like that?
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2018, 02:11:39 PM »

This, then subsequently becoming the first man to be cured of glioblastoma.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2018, 02:32:02 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2018, 02:39:14 PM »

... but reasonable people should be able to agree that these kind of remarks are inappropriate (and you've just deflected from the actual subject at hand).

The latent admiration and defense of McCain doesn’t impress me in the least bit. The only reason you like him now is because he nemesized Trump in his final years, and is basically dying a Democrat. Unlike a lot of red avatars on here, I choose to remember 2008 and the vicious things you all said about him back then (when you weren’t slut-shaming his running mate’s 17-year-old daughter, that is).

And for some of the vile and downright evil sh**t that is said about President Trump and his family on this forum, I think you people should be the last ones to criticize the tastelessness of any joke.

McCain has always been someone who, unlike Trump, wants the best for America and has integrity. He's made plenty of mistakes, and Obama was by far the better choice in 2008, but he has a much better character and would have been a better President than Trump.

Let me go get my violin. I’m sure his integrity was the first thing on your mind when you were calling him a war criminal and his wife a junkie. Just go on YouTube and search Bill Maher 2008 Election and tell me how much you people respected him then. But hey, you’re a good liberal...never let history or the facts get in the way of your current agenda.

So, what’s your opinion of these comments?

Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2018, 02:41:18 PM »

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2018, 03:34:40 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
gottsu
Poland

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2018, 03:37:30 PM »

The latent admiration and defense of McCain doesn't impress me in the least bit. The only reason you like him now is because he nemesized Trump in his final years, and is basically dying a Democrat. Unlike a lot of red avatars on here, I choose to remember 2008 and the vicious things you all said about him back then (when you weren’t slut-shaming his running mate’s 17-year-old daughter, that is).

I'm not joining this bandwagon because I remember McCain's being another servilistic foot soldier in Mitch McConnell's obstructionist campaign against Obama, as well as his enthusiastic support for GWB's disastrous wars, he even wanted to extend into other countries ("bomb, bomb Iran" anybody?)

Sorry, but it looks as McCain just wants to preserve his largely manufactured "maverick" image, knowing he's got little time left, rather than taking a real stand. And if he's really making a principled stand, he's way too late for his record to be redeemed.

Agree when it comes personally to McCain.

But when I look at the bigger picture, Trump's administration may have scored a goal with Trump-Kim meeting, and now with such "jokes" are scoring few own goals. I mean, why they seek this meeting with Kim and we have an early success in foreign policy of his administration and few days after we have stuff like this. Why? I simply don't get it, most of peoples don't get it.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2018, 03:51:36 PM »

But when I look at the bigger picture, Trump's administration may have scored a goal with Trump-Kim meeting, and now with such "jokes" are scoring few own goals. I mean, why they seek this meeting with Kim and we have an early success in foreign policy of his administration and few days after we have stuff like this. Why? I simply don't get it, most of peoples don't get it.

If their numbers keep going up, they will think they are not being corrupt or aggressive enough.
gottsu
Poland

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2018, 03:57:35 PM »

If their numbers keep going up, they will think they are not being corrupt or aggressive enough.

Another good point. I know how that works.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2018, 04:01:54 PM »

Jesus, there truly is some sort of psychological connection between being a conservative and a sociopath.
Yeah, no.

Anecdotal evidence time: my best friend's ex-boyfriend was the epitome of a "social justice warrior," and a diagnosed sociopath. To make things worse, it was revealed a week ago that he was physically abusing her during their relationship of four years. I'd prefer not to go into detail because it is very disturbing as to what he would do to her...

I typically like PittsburghSteel, but goddamn, that is one stupid and ignorant take from you. I expect better.

Uh, WHY?!  lol
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2018, 04:48:45 PM »

I can guarantee you if they are not held accountable in November, they will start acting like they have a blank check to rule as arbitrarily and capriciously as they like. That means that the ongoing corruption and fraud investigations will be cancelled and their entire party platform will be introduced into comments for the Federal Register and Congress.
gottsu
Poland

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2018, 05:03:40 PM »

I can guarantee you if they are not held accountable in November, they will start acting like they have a blank check to rule as arbitrarily and capriciously as they like. That means that the ongoing corruption and fraud investigations will be cancelled and their entire party platform will be introduced into comments for the Federal Register and Congress.

It's a "power disorder" as we call it in Europe - but grown to unexpectedly big sizes from the perspective of an European.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2018, 05:11:08 PM »

Trumpists just seem to have no empathy sometimes. Like McCain's political views or not (and I certainly don't always agree with them), but he is an American hero and by all accounts a good man. Attacking a dying cancer patient because he holds different political beliefs from yours is nothing short of heartless.

Trump has empathy, but he holds grudges.

Ted Cruz has no empathy.

Paul Ryan fakes it.

Trump has empathy?Huh  What planet do you live on?

Seriously. Of all the things I could be debated about Trump's as a personal president, really been anyone to occupy the Obamas with such an utter and complete lack of empathy. He is the walking embodiment of narcissistic personality disorder
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2018, 05:13:59 PM »

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2018, 05:16:53 PM »

It's a "power disorder" as we call it in Europe - but grown to unexpectedly big sizes from the perspective of an European.

Never heard of that...Tell me more!
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2018, 06:58:43 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2018, 07:44:13 PM by Fuzzy Bear »

First a Republican says we should re-legalize torture  "because it worked on John McCain"

Now one of Trump's WH assistants says:

Kelly Sadler was discussing McCain's opposition to President Donald Trump's nominee for CIA director, Gina Haspel, when she allegedly claimed, "It doesn't matter" because "he's dying anyway."

Don't let the door kick you on your way out, is what the GOP seems to be saying to him. Whether you like him or not, this seems a new low.

I'm not defending Kelly Sadler's comments, but these were comments made in a closed-door meeting with Administration staffers, only.  It's not as if she bellied up to the podium and made these comments.  The people inflicting the damage on the McCain family are the "sources" who violated confidences on a matter that was a statement on a political calculation.

The injury to the McCain family in Sadler's comments was delivered by folks who needed to keep their mouth shut.  "He who covereth a transgression soweth love."  This was a time for that Scripture to apply, but the leakers (who are the real pieces of crap in that aspect of the issue) decided that they just had to throw someone under the bus for whatever purposes.  (Certainly, not to bless the McCain family.)

Perhaps folks need to assume that they are ALWAYS in the fishbowl.  I have come to do so; it has added to my level of cautiousness and reduced some of my candor, but so be it.  I don't go around spreading gossip about folks' unbecoming statements in private settings, however, and Ms. Sadler's statement was made in a PRIVATE, HIGHLY POLITICAL MEETING where strategy over a key nomination was being discussed.

As for the Republican official making that public comment, that's on him, and him alone.  Let the voters cast their judgment on this guy.

As far as I can see, Donald Trump had nothing to do with either of these comments.  He should be taken to task for what he says.  Not for what he doesn't say.  And if I were Trump, I'd fire the leakers, and not Sadler (although I'd re-orient her to the full reality of her fishbowl existance that comes with an Executive Branch job).

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2018, 07:01:08 PM »

Meghan McCain's issue on this matter should be with the leakers, and the leakers, alone.

That the McCain family hates Trump, I can understand.  Trump's not to blame for what just happened, but the revulsion toward him from the McCain family is something he's brought on himself over time.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2018, 07:06:15 PM »

I gotta disagree with Biden here.  This administration always has the ability to go even lower.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2018, 07:26:07 PM »

Sad to say, I agree with this.  McCain lacked the kind of courage it took to dial down the partisanship of the Obama years, and he was never very conciliatory to Obama.  He could have opted to support Obamacare and bring bi-partisan gravitas to the deal, but he didn't, and his vote to block repeal was a shot at Trump (who, I suppose, had it coming).  I voted for McCain in 2008 and I don't regret it, but McCain was a maverick when he didn't like a Republican (Bush 43, Trump) and an obstructionist when he didn't like a Democrat (Obama).  I don't mind if my war heroes were captured or not, but John McCain was a Republican who COULD have stemmed the partisan tide somewhat during the Obama years, and he deliberately chose not to.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2018, 07:40:27 PM »

The Republican Party loves torture and violating basic human rights. So much so that they quip about it. Who knew?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies