NJ-Fairleigh Dickinson: Menendez +4, many undecided
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 08:32:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2018 Senatorial Election Polls
  NJ-Fairleigh Dickinson: Menendez +4, many undecided
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: NJ-Fairleigh Dickinson: Menendez +4, many undecided  (Read 1956 times)
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2018, 04:30:46 PM »

It is unfortunate that polarization has made it such that a genuinely bad incumbent can get by and win a comfortable reelection victory. If New Jersey were still more favorable to the Republicans at the federal level, than this race would probably be in the competitive tier of 2018, given Menendez's corruption scandals.
It's not just that, the Republican candidate Hugin is awful.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2018, 04:31:50 PM »

Likely D. Menendez will win by 10-15 points, but it will be a race to watch in the autumn.

I'm still puzzled that Bob didn't get a serious primary challenger

It's New Jersey. Once the machines close ranks around a politician, there's no point in running in the primary.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2018, 05:16:03 PM »

It is unfortunate that polarization has made it such that a genuinely bad incumbent can get by and win a comfortable reelection victory. If New Jersey were still more favorable to the Republicans at the federal level, than this race would probably be in the competitive tier of 2018, given Menendez's corruption scandals.

I see. So the voters there basically have to choose the lesser of two evils, as is so often the case.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2018, 05:24:16 PM »

Tossup/Tilt Dem. DSCC need to make reservations now:

takes seriously a poll where the top candidate is getting 28% of the vote. lol.
Goldenstateguy

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2018, 06:23:59 PM »

This is Safe Democratic. Anyone who says otherwise needs to get their head examined.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2018, 06:27:03 PM »

Likely D. Menendez will win by 10-15 points, but it will be a race to watch in the autumn.

I'm still puzzled that Bob didn't get a serious primary challenger

It's New Jersey. Once the machines close ranks around a politician, there's no point in running in the primary.

Which is the reason why NJ voters don't vote in the June primaries, because it is not a contested, competitive, spirited campaign. NJ politics like IL politics is boss-controlled.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2018, 06:27:18 PM »

He won't lose,  but a closer race is expected. This reminds  me of the 2004 race where Kerry and Menendez won by six points or so.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2018, 06:33:22 PM »

He won't lose,  but a closer race is expected. This reminds  me of the 2004 race where Kerry and Menendez won by six points or so.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2018, 08:48:53 PM »
« Edited: May 25, 2018, 09:08:02 PM by AMB1996 »

I see. So the voters there basically have to choose the lesser of two evils, as is so often the case.

You would have to be a complete hack to consider Hugin an "awful" candidate by any stretch. Definitely the best Republican to run for Senate since at least Kean '06, if not much earlier.

He's a throwback to Dawkins '88. He'll appeal strongly to the demographics that historically carried Republicans to victories here and if effective should make strong inroads with As-Am voters in Middlesex/Mercer/Somerset.

He has a major weakness in that he's a pharma exec for a company that sells cancer medication at a high price, but pharma is also the major industry in the state and Menendez (like Booker and every other Democrat in NJ) has a voting record that is firmly pro-pharma.1 Let's also remember that Menendez's corruption scandal was for helping a friend who defrauded Medicaid, so "healthcare is expensive" is probably not the effective line of attack it could be.

Unmitigated positives include: working class, Union City background; Princeton and Darden Business grad; long military service; purportedly independent-minded2; $7.5M in self-funding already; +9 net approvals with low ID3

1 Not to mention any Democratic hack claiming this makes Hugin an awful candidate would have to consider Manchin equally awful, or worse, since he has an actual voting record to corroborate accusations of price gouging.

2 Although he served as Trump's NJ finance chair, he is critical of Trump on issues affecting NJ and has taken a moderate tone, saying "I don't care who you voted for." Presumably, he won't launch partisan attacks on Menendez because he will never have to do so.

3presumably this sample is mostly Republican primary voters, among whom his name ID is highest
adrac
adracman42

Political Matrix
E: -9.99, S: -9.99

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2018, 08:59:06 PM »

Tossup/Tilt Dem. DSCC need to make reservations now:

LOL

Like a poll with 46% undecideds means literally anything.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2018, 09:20:49 PM »

You would have to be a complete hack to consider Hugin an "awful" candidate by any stretch. Definitely the best Republican to run for Senate since at least Kean '06, if not much earlier.

He's a throwback to Dawkins '88. He'll appeal strongly to the demographics that historically carried Republicans to victories here and if effective should make strong inroads with As-Am voters in Middlesex/Mercer/Somerset.

He has a major weakness in that he's a pharma exec for a company that sells cancer medication at a high price, but pharma is also the major industry in the state and Menendez (like Booker and every other Democrat in NJ) has a voting record that is firmly pro-pharma.1 Let's also remember that Menendez's corruption scandal was for helping a friend who defrauded Medicaid, so "healthcare is expensive" is probably not the effective line of attack it could be.

Unmitigated positives include: working class, Union City background; Princeton and Darden Business grad; long military service; purportedly independent-minded2; $7.5M in self-funding already; +9 net approvals with low ID3

1 Not to mention any Democratic hack claiming this makes Hugin an awful candidate would have to consider Manchin equally awful, or worse, since he has an actual voting record to corroborate accusations of price gouging.

2 Although he served as Trump's NJ finance chair, he is critical of Trump on issues affecting NJ and has taken a moderate tone, saying "I don't care who you voted for." Presumably, he won't launch partisan attacks on Menendez because he will never have to do so.

3presumably this sample is mostly Republican primary voters, among whom his name ID is highest

I see. Thank you for providing this background information about Hugin. Admittedly, I know little about New Jersey politics, and have been going off news reports that I have seen here and elsewhere. I fell into the trap of believing that some candidate is bad, just because the person from their opposing party says so. If polarization were not so bad, and if this environment were a more neutral one, Menendez, I would imagine, would be in some danger. But because of how things are playing this year, and how things are in New Jersey, he is unfortunately going to win by double digits.

That is why I would like for a return to the older days, with more Democrats from Southern and Western states, and more Republicans from the Northeast.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2018, 09:28:20 PM »

I see. Thank you for providing this background information about Hugin. Admittedly, I know little about New Jersey politics, and have been going off news reports that I have seen here and elsewhere. I fell into the trap of believing that some candidate is bad, just because the person from their opposing party says so. If polarization were not so bad, and if this environment were a more neutral one, Menendez, I would imagine, would be in some danger. But because of how things are playing this year, and how things are in New Jersey, he is unfortunately going to win by double digits.

That is why I would like for a return to the older days, with more Democrats from Southern and Western states, and more Republicans from the Northeast.

That's ok. Don't just take my word for it, but I did want to add some perspective to your understanding.

I'm very much in the same place on Menendez. I was very hopeful that he would get a credible primary challenger like Asm. Wisniewski (Bernie '16 NJ campaign chair) or Steve Fulop (mayor of Jersey City) and was willing to change party affiliation to vote in that primary. But no such candidate announced.

The silver lining is that Fulop and Sen. Brian Stack are launching a challenge for the leadership of the  Hudson County Democratic Organization, which is the heart of the Menendez machine. But failure is a possibility, and even if Stack becomes leader, I'm cynically resigned to assuming he would be just a younger, equally corrupt figure.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2018, 09:35:17 PM »

That's ok. Don't just take my word for it, but I did want to add some perspective to your understanding.

I'm very much in the same place on Menendez. I was very hopeful that he would get a credible primary challenger like Asm. Wisniewski (Bernie '16 NJ campaign chair) or Steve Fulop (mayor of Jersey City) and was willing to change party affiliation to vote in that primary. But no such candidate announced.

The silver lining is that Fulop and Sen. Brian Stack are launching a challenge for the leadership of the  Hudson County Democratic Organization, which is the heart of the Menendez machine. But failure is a possibility, and even if Stack becomes leader, I'm cynically resigned to assuming he would be just a younger, equally corrupt figure.

Interesting insights. As it is, Menendez's position seems to be only held up by two factors: New Jersey's Democratic lean (furthered by the partisan environment) and the support of the "powers that be". This is of course, nothing new in our history, as many prior corrupt politicians have won reelection again and again, so long as they keep the support of their political allies. I would also imagine that the legacy of Chris Christie's administration has left a bad taste in the mouths of many NJ residents? If so, that would also be a factor in keeping this race "Likely Democratic".
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies