The Atlasian Post-Democracy Dies In Darkness
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 06:54:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasian Post-Democracy Dies In Darkness
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12
Author Topic: The Atlasian Post-Democracy Dies In Darkness  (Read 20643 times)
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: January 17, 2019, 03:34:19 PM »

Voted.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #226 on: January 17, 2019, 10:27:11 PM »

17 respondents so far!
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #227 on: February 03, 2019, 09:29:04 PM »

I have a new poll, same ground rules as #2. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/11m7WSoEWYrQUjsMgIfMSxIClwa5M4YBcZvGi9JbClpo. Btw, I forgot about the previous one sorry so it won't be published, it's very out of date now anyway, but hopefully we can have an up to date, and dare I say it remotely accurate poll with this one.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #228 on: February 03, 2019, 09:57:39 PM »

Whoever is doing it please stop posting trollish responses, some of which are just personal insults towards me. Such responses are not going to be counted, so it is a waste of your time to post them as well as wasting my time by making me delete them. On the bright side, I already have 17(!) valid responses.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #229 on: February 03, 2019, 11:28:17 PM »

(I'm in a very historical sort of mood. And the first person to get the reference gets a cookie.)
"Pericles entered Atlasia under the rather childish delusion that he was going to attack everyone else, and nobody was going to attack them. Against fhtagn, Louisville Thunder, Young Texan, and half a hundred other people, he put his rather naive theory into operation. He sowed the wind, and now he is going to reap the whirlwind."
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #230 on: February 04, 2019, 06:30:19 PM »

I have a new poll, same ground rules as #2. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/11m7WSoEWYrQUjsMgIfMSxIClwa5M4YBcZvGi9JbClpo. Btw, I forgot about the previous one sorry so it won't be published, it's very out of date now anyway, but hopefully we can have an up to date, and dare I say it remotely accurate poll with this one.

27 responses so far-keep 'em coming!
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #231 on: February 05, 2019, 09:43:23 PM »

Due to Sestak's withdrawal and deregistration, this poll is out of date and is no longer accepting responses. However, as it received 37 responses, it provides an interesting look at the race and so it is still worth publishing imo-that is what my next post will be about.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #232 on: February 05, 2019, 10:00:15 PM »

SHOCK POLL; TMTHFORU94/LUMINE TAKES STRONG LEAD IN PRESIDENTIAL FIELD

The tmthforu94/Lumine ticket has received strong early momentum, consistently gaining votes, support and popularity. The ticket has largely united the Federalist vote, snapped up the Monfortian vote(which in its previous iteration as the Alliancite vote neither North Carolina Yankee or fhtagn were ever able to do to the same extent) and is getting plenty of left-wing defections(meaning there are likely to be more lefty tmth voters than there were lefty Yankee voters in October). There also seems to be a strong public mood for change with President weatherboy's net approval rating of -35.2% and a margin of 32.5% for 'wrong direction' over 'right direction' in the direction of Atlasia question. However the margin may narrow slightly since YE's favorability was higher than Sestak's-but Sestak was already popular and since Jimmy's favorability was not polled the impact of him being the VP cannot be determined from this poll. The sample is slightly biased in favor of the Federalists(something I was planning to rectify but did not get the chance to do), the current census data has both the Federalist and Labor parties at 34.8% of the population, and the influence of the Montfortians in particular seems to have been dramatically overestimated in this poll(the Monfortians in the census are 2.2% of the population, so they are overstated by a whopping 8.6%). and it appears this gap came at the expense of other left-wing parties that would probably be more likely to vote for the left-wing ticket. Still, given the size of the margin, it appears that tmthforu has an advantage at this stage in the race.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #233 on: February 10, 2019, 01:03:33 AM »

Interview with Senator Lechasseur
What do you think is your biggest accomplishment in your time as an office-holder in Atlasia(not just the Senate but generally)? If you can't name one single accomplishment then 2 or 3 would be fine.
Hmm, at any rate the accomplishment I'm most proud of is having been the swing vote that got the HELIOS Act passed. It's a bill that has helped a lot of low income Atlasians and it would not have passed without me.

Secondly, what do you see as the biggest challenges facing Atlasia at this time, and what have you done in the Senate and will do if you're re-elected to help overcome those challenges?
I think our biggest challenges are A) we've had a serious lack of leadership during Weatherboy's term B) how to balance helping Atlasians with fighting the national debt and C) the game becoming increasingly hostile. The first challenge I believe will resolve itself. Our very ineffective president Weatherboy is leaving office in a few weeks, and the candidates vying to replace him, TM for the Federalists and YE for the left, are both very talented and likeable politicians with solid records who are very qualified for the presidency. Of course I'm supporting TM, because his record as Southern Governor speaks for itself, he's been very effective in getting common sense policy passed, along with amending the constitution and has broad appeal, I think he's the right leader to bring Atlasians together again and to put Atlasia back on the right track. Atlasia is heading towards better days.

For the second challenge, I want to fight against wasteful spending, as I believe that our debt is a serious problem, but I also realize that if well designed, some programs are worth some spending, as they can really vastly improve Atlasians' lives, and that's why I've been a big supporter of getting paid medical leave passed, even though I've voted against many other bills increasing government spending. I hope to have a bill passed soon.

And finally, for the last challenge, I plan on leading by example. I have a good relationship with several left-wing politicians like YE, Sestak (who unfortunately left the game the other day) and Pericles. I'm happy to work with them on worthwhile projects and I have the utmost respect for them and will act accordingly.

So, what do you believe is your biggest strength, and also what is your biggest weakness(or area for improvement)?
My biggest strength I believe is my willingness to vote for what is right, even if that means taking some stances that might be unpopular, or by crossing party lines to support a good bill. What I'd like to improve on is writing bills. I haven't written many but I'd love to write some bills in order to contribute as much as I can to the game. I do have a couple of ideas but I need to figure out how to write them correctly.

What are the main points you would like voters to know about your upcoming Senate race and why they should vote for you over your opponent Wulfric?
Well, first of all I am very experienced. I served 3 terms as a delegate in the Southern Chamber, 2 in the Atlasian House and I'm coming to the end of my 1st term in the Senate. I've gotten to learn how Nyman politics work and I've formed good relations with members of both parties, which is a big advantage when it comes to wanting to make Nyman productive and get things done.
Second of all, voters know what they're getting with me, they don't know what they're getting with Wulfric. Although I have good relations with left-wing politicians, and I'm willing to cross the aisle for certain bills, I've always been loyal to the Federalist Party. And that's what people know me as, a moderate conservative who is willing to work with the other party on certain projects. Wulfric on the other hand seems to kind of be everywhere. I know he was an independent until Weatherboy was elected (more or less, I don't remember the exact dates), then he switched to Labor and now if I recall correctly he endorsed TM for President. At least with me you know what you're getting, not with Wulfric. He's a good guy who I respect and wish well, but I'm stating what I and others think.

And then I know one line of attack Wulfric will use against me, my activity issues in November. As I've explained previously IRL I didn't have access to the Internet (my smartphone broke) for a little bit and thus couldn't connect to Atlas, but once that issue got resolved I came back and I've been active ever since. You can count on me to represent you effectively in the Senate.

What are your views on game reform? What are your thoughts on recent reform proposals such as the adoption of a parliamentary system?
I need to study the question more, but my understanding is it's basically a question of semantics; isn't the FM of Fremont directly elected just like say the Southern Governor? At any rate that's what it looked like to me when I looked at the Fremont voting booth. I'm not sure it would really change anything, but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise, if pro-parliamentarians can show me how it's different from the current system and how switching to a parliamentary system (like Fremont's or otherwise) would improve the game.

As an extra game reform question; what is your opinion on the culture of the game, and do you believe Atlasia is living up the idea of being a 'More Welcoming Atlasia' right now?
Frankly it seems like there are some issues with the culture in Atlasia right now, I'd like to see less fighting and more civility. The question is, how can we achieve that? I don't have the answer to that, but I can at least do my part and be civil with all Atlasians, as I've always been.

Beyond the upcoming Senate race, what are your future plans in Atlasia?
I definitely plan on staying active in the game. I'm not going to make any promises now but I very much enjoy the Senate, I think it's a place that suits me well and where I can do a good job serving Atlasians. I'll definitely do my part to serve Atlasia, whether that be in the Senate or otherwise, but I'd like to stay in the Senate.

Do you have any final comments about anything in particular?
I'd like to wish all candidates running next weekend good luck. I also hope this interview has given the voters a better understanding of me. And I'm looking forward to working with the next administration (hopefully a TM lead administration with Lumine as VP, I think it would be an absolutely incredible administration) to improve Atlasia, if the voters give me an opportunity to represent them again. And remember to go vote!

Thank you for doing this interview.
Thank you for having me!
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #234 on: February 10, 2019, 04:48:13 PM »

The Atlasian Post-February 2019 federal race ratings
Presidency
Lean tmthforu94/Lumine
tmthforu94's campaign has strong momentum, having united the Federalist Party behind it, secured the Montfortian vote and already picked up several lefty defections. The race remains unpredictable due to the recent instability in the field and the emergence of the YE/Jimmy7812 ticket, however while this may do slightly better or wose than the Sestak/YE ticket would have done there  doesn't seem to have been a change to the overall picture and tmthforu has the advantage due to his widespread popularity and the high likelihood of significant left-wing defections to his candidacy, greater than those received by Yankee/dfwlibertylover in October 2018.

Lincoln Senate
Lean Labor
Lincoln remains a region that favors the left. The entrance of Representative LouisvilleThunder into the race is likely to sideline Poirot and Misteeer as the right-wing vote will now consolidate behind him, and his opening campaign posts have been effective. However he is a controversial and at times divisive figure, and there doesn't seem to have been enough of a change in Lincoln for the outcome to be different from the last two Senate races, so tack50 has to be rated as the favorite in this race.

Fremont Senate
Likely Labor
After ON Progressive's primary win, significant opposition to his candidacy is yet to emerge. He is also popular in the region, which has had an advantage for left-wing candidates recently. Indeed as Lumine's Senate run showed even if a candidate consolidated the right-wing vote and picked off swing and some left-wing voters they could still fall short(though it is possible a right-wing candidate has better odds in Fremont now than at the end of November 2018). Due to the unpredictability of Fremont races, it seems foolish to rate this race as Safe Labor however the odds are clearly in Labor's favor here.

South Senate
Likely Federalist
Senator Lechasseur has a strong advantage in this race, and is relatively popular in the region and is not a divisive figure. Wulfric's candidacy has stumbled with losing the Peace endorsement and speculation that he would shift right after the election and his forum-wide posting history make him a risky bet for Labor. While the possibility remains that he could get some crossover votes, given Lechasseur's popularity, the possibility of left-wing defections and that this is at the same time as the presidential election makes Wulfric the heavy underdog in this Federalist-leaning region.

People's House
Lean No Overall Majority
Given the wide field for the House, including with 2 high profile candidates who are no longer linked to either major party, the odds of any party forming an overall majority appear low. If an overall majority were formed it would probably be by Labor and Peace as they are backing their 5 candidates while matthew27's candidacy is unlikely to get much support. However the recent entry(as I was writing this post) of Zaybay to the House race has further confused things as that would likely create an oversupply of left-wing candidates, though it's possible he will soon withdraw. The field for the House remains unsettled, but it is more likely than not that neither the Labor-Peace combination or the Federalist bloc will get a majority.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #235 on: February 10, 2019, 05:48:35 PM »

Isn't ON progressive's only challenger technically coming from the left?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #236 on: February 10, 2019, 05:50:32 PM »

Isn't ON progressive's only challenger technically coming from the left?

Yeah but to win they need a bunch of right wing votes, plus a right winger may enter late or run as a write in.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #237 on: February 10, 2019, 07:17:15 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The more canadiates run, the less votes I get. If the two mega parties decide to have candidates, you need to have built a personal following to have a chance.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #238 on: February 10, 2019, 09:01:33 PM »

The final poll is now out-link. Please make sure to give a response, that would be greatly appreciated and we haven't gotten much info on the current matchup given the recent chaos with the tickets.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #239 on: February 11, 2019, 03:44:30 PM »

The final poll is now out-link. Please make sure to give a response, that would be greatly appreciated and we haven't gotten much info on the current matchup given the recent chaos with the tickets.

14 responses so far, some more would be great!
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #240 on: February 13, 2019, 04:27:01 PM »

Not much luck with responses so far, only 16 responses; https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1PO1oqaZhWOLYqeMRmwnIVimwx3qsuTVG7xF1v2mwsd. I'll probably still publish the results but unless there are a lot more the previous poll, albeit with the wrong left-wing ticket, will probably be a more reliable indicator.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #241 on: February 13, 2019, 05:15:09 PM »

Seems like the poll got deleted?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #242 on: February 13, 2019, 05:24:47 PM »

Ah no wrong link, here's the right one(I think); https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1PO1oqaZhWOLYqeMRmwnIVimwx3qsuTVG7xF1v2mwsdI
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #243 on: February 14, 2019, 09:38:32 PM »

This poll did not go as well as intended, with only 17 responses(all questions have 17 responses unless stated otherwise). It seems there have been far too many polls this election, and my gut feeling is that the previous poll is a more accurate gauge of public feeling(though there will likely have been some changes due to Sestak deregistering and YE taking the top of the ticket). Anyway, here are the results;
Regional composition
Fremont-47.1%
Lincoln-29.4%
The South-23.4%
Presidential matchup
tmthforu94/Lumine; 52.9%
YE/Jimmy7812; 35.3%
MB/KoopaDaQuick; 5.9%
Undecided; 5.9%
Presidential matchup-without undecided
tmthforu94/Lumine; 58.8%
YE/Jimmy7812; 35.3%
MB/KoopaDaQuick; 5.9%
Presidential candidate favorability ratings
tmthforu94; 94.1%
YE; 76.5%
MB; 70.6%
Vice-presidential candidate favorability ratings
Lumine; 88.2%
KoopaDaQuick; 76.5%
Jimmy7812; 64.7%
Preferred House composition
Left-wing majority; 52.9%
Right-wing majority; 29.4%
No overall majority; 17.6%
President weatherboy1102's approval rating
Disapprove; 82.4%
Approve; 5.9%
Unsure; 11.8%
Direction of Atlasia
Wrong direction; 70.6%
Right direction; 11.8%
Unsure; 17.6%
Party registration
Federalist; 35.3%
Labor; 35.3%

Montfortian; 11.8%
Hoxhaist; 5.9%
Peace; 5.9%
Independent; 5.9%
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #244 on: February 18, 2019, 09:26:16 PM »

Lechasseur, did interview with The Atlasian Post; WON!
Wulfric, declined interview with The Atlasian Post; LOST!

Coincidence? I think NOT!
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #245 on: February 21, 2019, 11:36:32 PM »

Interview with Lincoln Senate candidate tack50
You served for a short time in the Southern Chamber of Delegates, how does that experience help inform voters about what the prospect of Senator tack50 would be like?

First of all, I'd like to thank you for giving me this interview. It's nice to be here tonight. Indeed as you say I served for  a short time in the Southern Chamber of Delegates. In the Senate I will keep up the hard work I did in the South, proposing amendments and bills, debating and voting them and overall being an active legislator.

In terms of policy my time in the South is also helpful, as it provides some insight at least in some of my policies, including transportation and energy, where I will keep fighting for a transition towards clean energy to fight climate change and for better education.

One of the more common things I did while in the South was to try and amend bills that looked unlikely to be passed (if the sponsor agreed of course), in order for them to have a better chance of passage. I will not to be a divisive and polarizing figure, that's probably the last thing Lincoln and Atlasia currently need.
Ok, so relating to policy, given you're a relatively new presence in the game, can you outline for voters how you view your ideology and the kind of worldview you will approach decisions with in the Senate?

In terms of ideology, I generally define myself as a centre-left social democrat. I'm both socially liberal and economically liberal, but I'm far from an extremist. In the economy, I recognize there's a place for the government to help the lives of all citizens through social programs and appropriate levels of taxation, but like with everything, too much of one thing can be harmful. On social issues I generally take a hands-off approach, where as long as it doesn't harm anybody, it's fine with me. However we must still fight discrimination wherever it exists. In general I feel the weak and the people left out by the system  need protection, help and support.

In the Senate I will bring a moderate left wing voice that tries to improve the lives of the weak in society, but I will also work with both sides of the aisle to solve those problems. I have already served with president-elect TM in the South and if elected I'm looking forwards to serving with him again.
What do you see as the biggest challenges facing Atlasia at this time, and how do you plan to help overcome these challenges if you are elected to the Senate?

There are currently several problems facing Atlasia.

The first I would like to mention is activity. This is a problem that's especially important here in Lincoln, though thankfully things seem to be getting better.  On paper, game reform can make things more exciting, and thus more attractive for players. We've seen this with the Philadelphia plan, and I'll be watching carefully to see how it unfolds in the long term. Another option which might be better suited for the federal government might be to make the game friendlier to interact with for beginners, especially for people who are out of office. That would increase the pool of interactions by including less active private citizens who might be quite inactive and might not want to run for office, and would also increase Atlasia's population by attracting new players.

The second problem, and probably a more important one, is the tense atmosphere that has developed in Atlasia recently. We have seen a lot more personal attacks, drama and smear campaigns than we ever should. The incident involving Lumine the night after the election is probably a good example Some people have even left the game altogether because of this! We can't allow such behavior to continue in Atlasia, and if elected I will work to create a much better atmosphere for everyone. We must take the game seriously enough that it isn't only a meme or a joke, but I feel a lot of people take it to the other extreme and take things personally and way too seriously. It's too easy in the internet to forget that there's someone else on the other side of the screen.

Finally another problem, and one I feel isn't mentioned enough, is the budget process. I feel the current budget process is too complex and hard to understand. I realize that real life budgets are also complex and a simplified one is probably be unrealistic, but we should still try to keep budgets comprehensible to the average Atlasian.
Following on from that, game reform is an issue that comes up routinely, and in particular there have been proposals for a parliamentary system in Atlasia. What are your thoughts on how the game could be reformed and in particular what is your opinion on shifting to a parliamentary system?

I support the shift to a parliamentary system in Lincoln, but I do not support it for the federal government. There are several reasons. First, a majority of Atlasians are real life Americans, so a presidential style government is probably more appealing and interesting than a parliamentary system for that majority of Atlasians. Secondly, a presidential system is more interesting to watch because of the stronger separation of powers, which means a higher degree of interaction between the executive, legislative and judicial branches. The interesting aspects of parliamentary systems are just harder to simulate. Finally, I believe the stronger separation of powers is preferable to the advantages of parliamentarism, namely, less gridlock.

I do support regions that want to switch to parliamentary systems, like Fremont did or like Lincoln is about to do; especially to solve activity crises (not like it's the only way to solve them). However a presidential system can also have a lot of activity and be interesting to watch. The South is a really good example of a presidential region that works really well. In general regions can be more experimental, so parliamentarism should start at the regional level.

However one game reform I fully support  and would like to tackle is vice presidential reform. I personally would like to see Vice Presidents be more involved with running the government, not just working to pass bills from one chamber to another. Another good option is having separate elections for president and vice president instead of electing them on a single ticket.
What do you think is the main contrast between you and Louisville Thunder for the upcoming Senate race? Why should voters vote for you rather than him?
The main contrast I think is one of attitude. Louisville Thunder has been a very divisive figure in the House. His reaction to the election certification was also another example of the tense atmosphere that has arrived to Atlasia in recent times. If Louisville Thunder is elected, the Senate will be a more partisan chamber with tenser debates, which will have a negative effect both in terms of legislation and in terms of atmosphere.

Meanwhile I will try to get along with all my Senate colleagues, no matter their party affiliation or ideology. I got along with everyone in the Southern Chamber of Delegates regardless of party; and I expect to do the same in the Senate.

We also have differences in policy, but in all honesty, differences in policy are easy to deal with. Whether it's by debates, amendments, or even just plain bipartisanship and a friendly disposition, policy differences are a lot easier to solve. If Louisville Thunder is elected, I expect him to have a much worse working relation with the Labor senators than I would with the Fed senators.
What do you believe is your biggest strength, and also what is your biggest weakness(or area for improvement)?
My biggest strength is my biggest weakness as well. That is, my relative lack of experience. This is both a good an a bad thing. On one hand it brings a new perspective into the game and prevents things from becoming stale, but on the other it means that many of my interactions will be of lesser quality as I get accustomed to life in Atlasia.

In particular because of my real life background I believe I'm strong in issues of infrastructure, transportation and to a lesser extent education; but that does also mean I'm weaker in other issues like in particular the parts of the government more directly related to lawmaking like business codes, civil codes, and the like.

However this is an issue that will solve itself over time, as I hopefully stay more time in Atlasia. The new perspective will remain, as every player brings something to the table, but my interactions will become of greater quality, while I expect my weaker policy points to become stronger just by taking part in Congress debates; while still being strong on my stronger policy positions.
The issue of the deficit has come up, and your opponent Louisville Thunder supported a balanced budget amendment. What is your position on the deficit, if you want to reduce it how would you try to accomplish that, and how might you try and balance it with other policy priorities?
Well, I do not support a balanced budget amendment as it can tie the government's hands up unnecesarily, especially in cases of emergency or recessions, but I'd definitely be willing to compromise on the issue (for example, requiring supermajorities for unbalanced budgets or not allowing deficits higher than a certain percentage). Deficits can be necessary under certain circumstances but they are not something to be proud of.

Unfortunately, if we want to reduce the deficit there are only really 2 real ways: cutting government spending or raising taxes (or a combination of both). While I'm sure there are some minor areas where we can cut spending or make it more efficient, for the most part if we truly want to reduce the deficit the only real way to do so would be tax increases. Cutting government spending would require downsizing or eliminating government programs which would hurt the people most in need in our nation.

I support trying to keep the current deficit levels first, and if we first succeed at that, then we can start trying to actively lower the deficit, but we must also keep in mind that large surpluses are also harmful to the economy as they indicate idle capacity (though nowhere near as much as large deficits of course)

In any case, the deficit won't be a big priority for me. I will try to reduce it as much as possible while not doing policies that harm the poor and needful in Atlasia. However if my colleagues in the Senate want to tackle deficit control I will be more than glad to take part in the discussion and pass legislation that helps reduce the deficit.

Yes, I hope that no matter what happens in the end with the election, we can all come together as Lincolnites and Atlasians. This last election cycle has been a very weird and stressful thing for everyone involved up and down the ticket. Let's try to close it on a good note.
Ok thank you for participating in this interview.
Thank you too!

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #246 on: May 30, 2019, 08:36:26 PM »

I have decided, following my re-registration and a resounding public vote in favor of the following course of action on the lokcord, to revive The Atlasian Post. I will start by conducting an interview, and if you do want to be interviewed please PM me. I may also reach out to you, I hope you accept my invitation in that case and we can better inform the players of the game and boost Atlasian journalism.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #247 on: June 01, 2019, 10:46:40 PM »
« Edited: June 01, 2019, 10:51:30 PM by Pericles »

Interview with Suburban New Jersey Conservative
Hello, Mr. Pericles
Welcome, Assemblyman. To begin, what do you think is your biggest accomplishment in your time on the Lincoln Council so far?
I believe that my biggest accomplishment has to be fulfilling my campaign promises of introducing legislation that I promised. While some of it failed, I am confident that I can get one of the two bills up for debate passed.

Secondly, what do you think are the biggest challenges facing Lincoln at this time, and what have you done to help Lincoln overcome those challenges?
The biggest challenge has to be the fact that we have spent exorbitantly, because we have been lacking a budget for nearly two years. I had suggested trying to do the budget in pieces, such as taxes and then one bill for spending, and putting it together. Also, I am going to definitely going to introduce amendments to the budget when it comes to a vote

What would you consider your biggest strength, and what would you consider your biggest weakness (or area for improvement)?
My biggest strength is certainly my brand of moderation. I have been attacked for it, but I think it is important to have politics that appeal to people of different parties. Also, I feel that I am effective at being a legislator, and have been a very active one. Weaknesses include not recognizing sarcasm. This has been pointed out to me by members of both parties. They say that I have somewhat of a robotic personality. While this does not seem important, people like to mock me for it, and make it into a serious issue, to solve it I would probably try to talk on a more collected, calm personality, especially when it appears that the person in question will mock me.

Your office thread ended up extending up to 20 pages. Why do you think people took such an interest in your thread and why you, as a newcomer to Atlasia, have gotten so much attention?
Well the truth is when I ran for office, I promised toll roads as an infrastructure improvement and gun control as campaign promises. I held a town hall to fulfill another campaign promise. However, I expected to be attacked by my party on gun control, but I did not expect the great uproar from the left. So I was constantly attacked from all sides, and tried to respond to attacks, which resulted in me making some controversial statements. For example, due to a misinterpreted statement my gun control bill became known as the "Watermelon Knife Bill," it was a derogatory nickname, and while I know that those who coined it did not have malignant intentions, the term "Watermelon Knife," has largely led to an ostracization of me, and ends up in countless posts of me being mocked, including outside of Atlasia.

Your tax plans have been controversial-while flat taxes have some precedent it's hard to find much precedent for an actively regressive tax system as you have proposed. Can you explain the logic behind this, and why you consider your tax plans economically efficient and fair?
I have stated many times that my original tax bill does not reflect my views, because it limits the American Dream. I do not support that bill. My current bill gives minor tax cuts to most people, and actually eliminates taxes on the poor. The thing is though, we need to have a debate on tax reform. The liberal majority currently in power is planning on raising taxes to get us out of a deficit. But the truth is that the reckless spending that allowed that deficit should have never happened. Our focus should be on cutting wasteful spending, and then on top of that, the left has introduced a single-payer bill, which will further dent the budget, forcing even higher taxes. I believe that the left should not be raising taxes on people to cover for the government's reckless spending. As for my original tax bill, I would have voted it down, in that form, on the day that I wrote it. That bill did not reflect my views, instead it was intended to pacify conservatives. Obviously, it didn't work, but I was always vehemently opposed to regressive taxes.

What is your view on Governor Peanut's job performance?
I think that the Governor has done a good job. However, I do wish that he makes some exceptions to his campaign pledge of not vetoing bills. This applies to bills from the far-left and the far-right. For instance, if the regressive tax bill somehow passes the Council, I would like it if the Governor vetoed it. On the other hand, if the left's single-payer bill passes, I would also like it if the Governor vetoes that. However, if he breaks the pledge I would want it to be bipartisan. Also the Governor has done a very good job of appealing to people of the other party.

What is your view on Lincoln's adoption of the Philadelphia plan? Do you think Lincoln's system of government should be changed in some form, or that things are fine right now?
I support the Philadelphia Plan. The Lincoln Assembly was a broken system that did not work. For example in November or December, the entire Assembly was recalled. However, I oppose the recent attempts to give the majority party greater power in the Council. For instance, the filibuster was repealed, and now legislation can be jammed through on a party-line vote. Also, there is a currently a debate to reduce the size of the Council, which would make it much harder for new people to enter the game. I think the Philadelphia Plan was fine before the filibuster repeal, and I support reinstating the filibuster and making no further changes.

If you were to run for higher office, what do you think you would have to offer the people of Lincoln and Atlasia?
If I ran for higher office, I feel I can bring people together. I feel that I can transcend the polarizing boundaries of politics and reach out to Federalists and Laborites. I can appeal to the disgruntled centrists, who see an increase in partisan polarization. I can turn back the clock to an era of compromise and moderation. To an era when centrism was seen as an asset, not a liability. I can also move us into the next generation. Issues like climate change and education have been ignored for so long, I will work to help us fight off the worst effects of climate change, and I will work to standardize the education system. I will also work to end school shootings by supporting common-sense gun reform which is long overdue. I will cut taxes, for all Atlasians/Lincolnites, not just the top 1%, and I will reduce wasteful government spending, as there is no point of spending money on a program that is unnecessary. If I ran, my platform would give us the best of the past and look to the future.

Do you have any other comments on public issues that you would like the people of Lincoln to see?
I would like Lincoln to know that I have worked hard for them since Day 1. I would like them to know, that there are so many issues that face us right now. We cannot be complacent in the face of climate change, which is why I have introduced a cap-and-trade bill to limit emissions. We must fight the scourge of gun violence, which is why I am working with the Speaker on a gun control bill. I would like Lincoln to know that our best days are still ahead of us, and that we must remain vigilant as we head into the future. We cannot be complacent, we must be active in solving these problems that will affect not only us, but our children, and our grandchildren.

(follow-up question) Given that you have portrayed yourself as a moderate, yet some positions you have taken may be seen as extreme and some have questioned whether you are a moderate, can you discuss a bit more in-depth your ideological views and why you think moderation and centrism are the terms that fit your views?
I have utilized views from the left and right. I have blended them together to create a moderate, but still right-leaning view. I have also frequently diverged from the party line, and voted with the left. However, at the same time I have been conservative on issues like taxes. My views are liberal on issues like gun control and education. I am a centrist on climate change. My views are a concoction of centrist, rightist, and leftist views, therefore it is appropriate to categorize me as a moderate.

Thanks for participating in this interview.
Thank you, Mr. Pericles.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #248 on: June 03, 2019, 12:25:08 AM »

Interview with President tmthforu94
What do you think is your biggest accomplishment in your time as President of Atlasia so far ? If you can't name one single accomplishment then 2 or 3 would be fine.
Our biggest accomplishment has been returning stability and normalcy to the executive branch. It basically did not exist while Weatherboy was president. Under our administration there has been activity on all fronts. Biggest accomplishments in terms of policy? Passing the budget and improving relationships with China.

Secondly, what do you see as the biggest challenges facing Atlasia at this time, and what have you done as President  to help overcome those challenges?
I think the biggest challenge is tying in a policy-driven element to this game - that has probably been the challenge since the dawn of the game. I don't think I've been able to fully crack it, but I'd like to say it has improved. This is an elections simulation game at its core and it always should be, but if the game just comes down to a battle of who can register the most recruits and who can do the best GOTV, what is the point? Both sides are guilty of trying to load up on registrations right before an election and just use people for their votes - party's should do more to develop new players. A player's accomplishments/record matters less compared to party registration - prime example: Weatherboy completely flopped as President, yet so many in his party stood by him and are now endorsing his candidacy for Southern Governor. Sad!

What plans do you have, if any, for your time in Atlasia once you leave the White House? Do you plan to run for public office or take a break from active politics?
I plan to stay involved, though as I said in my announcement to not run again, I think it is time to step aside from higher elected office and let a new wave of Atlasians take over. Lots of qualified people on both sides. That being said, if a vacancy occurs or there is no one else willing to, I'd be open to it. I think there is a lot that can be done as a private citizen, though, to help further the game.

What are your thoughts on the upcoming presidential election so far? Given that you have endorsed Young Texan/Vern, do you have a message for voters as to why they should vote for them over other tickets, or indeed a more general message voters should see?
I think Young Texan and Vern are new voices that have the experience to do the job well. Four months ago, the executive branch was in shambles, which is why I felt compelled to step up and make a difference, despite being a longtime player. I'd like to see new folks get a shot from both sides and think they would continue to build off the successes of our administration. From a game standpoint, I think having a center-right president in the game has it's perks as due to registration advantage, Labor and Peace are highly likely to continue their hold on the House. I think working with divided government has been a perk post-reset, where as before it was often lopsided.

What is your biggest regret from your time as President?
It's hard to motivate cabinet members to want to do their job well, I don't know how to do it. I think part of it ties into the fact this is an election simulation and cabinet positions aren't elected. There was a lot more I'd like to do, but honestly I can't do it on my own and my cabinet hasn't always been able to step up and help when needed. I know this probably isn't the best message to give while still in office, but I've been a straight-shooter and it's just the truth. I count this as a personal failure for being unable to motivate.

To be frank, I know approval polls are just popularity contents, but it is frustrating that I have worked my tail off and my approval ratings are lower than cabinet members and other elected officials who are barely doing their job or just showing up to vote.

A notable feature of your term is that Congress finally managed to pass a budget. In the future, with the full state of the budget known, what specific changes would you like to see made in the 2020 budget?
I haven't fully looked at it since I knew I would not be the president that would pass the 2020 budget. My focus was just on getting 2019 done so that the next president wouldn't have the same mess that I inherited. I definitely think there needs to be an increase in space funding - that is something we may try to accomplish this session.

Recently, 1184AZ resigned as Attorney General (and deregistered), and his tenure as AG was rather controversial (and his approval rating in admittedly unreliable Atlasia polls was low). Can you give the public more insight into the circumstances of his resignation and answer whether there is any context to it that is not public knowledge?
Sure, AZ reached out to me saying he'd like to step away from the position and take a break from Atlasia all-together, I accepted his resignation and wished him the best. It was very cordial and respectful. I will say that I think generally it has been difficult to fill the AG position - unless something changes, I don't intend on appointing an AG for the remainder of the term - should a court case arise, I will appoint someone to represent the federal government.

The Vice-Presidential Election amendment, do you have any plans to proceed further on the issues the Senate debate raised? In particular, would you support Speaker Jimmy's proposed amendment to have special elections for when the Vice-Presidency goes vacant (without electing the position separately from the presidency in regular elections).
I was disappointed the amendment failed but not surprised - it is difficult to pass substantial game reform without a Constitutional Convention. I don't plan on trying it again for the remainder of the term.

Do you have anything else you would like to say to the Atlasian public in this interview?
Thank you for the opportunity to serve as YOUR President!

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #249 on: June 05, 2019, 09:42:05 PM »

Interview with Prolocutor PSOL
As Chair of the ACLO, what do you consider to be the biggest challenges to your goals and to the interests of working people?
The opposition by owners and the politicians in their pockets. Specifically, the rise of the Atlasian Conservative Party could bring in creeping setbacks to workers’ rights and general austerity.

What legislation and actions by the next President would you like to see in the next term?
Bringing about workplace democracy and improving the living standards of all Atlasians in a fair manner. The fact that stakeholders have such weak ability to beat back corporate assault is testament to the actual reality in this nation.

The previous Prolocutor, Bagel23, was widely criticized for his job performance, from defending right-winger Ben Kenobi and endorsing right to work. Can you explain in more detail your opinion of his performance and the circumstances that led him to resign as Prolocutor?
The tenure of Prolocutor Bagel23 did have blemishes. He foolishly supported the nebulously named Right-To-Work laws and supported less than savory characters. However, he aided in the creation of this union, created the nice symbol of the A.C.L.O.  and worked to endorse mostly common sense legislation. With him bringing forth such mixed signals, it ultimately began to seem that this union was counter-intuitive, depressing support and ultimately leading him to resign to save the union at large.

Do you plan to run for elected office in the future, and what are your future plans for your time in Atlasia?*
Possibly, I’ll probably go for a local position in Lincoln. In the meantime, this union’s growth and my involvement in other pressure groups are my priority.

What is your opinion on how the June presidential campaign has progressed?
It could be more better communicated with the wider public as well as more policy focused. I expect that will be satisfied with the first debate this month. One gripe I have is the narrow intentions and policies so far.

Adam Griffin questioned the ACLO's relevance due to the existence of the Labor Party. What role do you see the ACLO filling that Labor cannot, and how do you think the ACLO can appeal to those who do not support Labor, rather than being a puppet of the Labor Party?
While the Labor Party states that they do support the working class, both organizations are very different. We are a nonpartisan union to the Left of all parties related to bread and butter policy planks. After all, I see no proclamation from Adam Griffin to introduce workplace democracy. Furthermore, we have union cadres being able to strike, as we believe in a multifaceted approach to our rights than just electoral means.

We will take independent action distant from the Labor Party, being willing to bring forth criticism whenever our rights are threatened. To those that don’t support Labor, know that we are distinct organizations already separated by organization, tactics, and even in having different common goals that we will work toward with genuine conviction.

Do you have any other comments you wish to make for the Atlasian public?
I am looking forward to helping serve the working class Atlasians whenever I can, a part of that is just being out there. For any questions, collaborations, or commentary y’all can just contact me in a multitude of ways.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies