Would Hawkins (Stranger Things) trend Republican or Democrat?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:01:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Would Hawkins (Stranger Things) trend Republican or Democrat?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would Hawkins (Stranger Things) trend Republican or Democrat?
Republican

Democrat

Toss-up

I don't know

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: Would Hawkins (Stranger Things) trend Republican or Democrat?  (Read 1821 times)
UWS
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 21, 2018, 01:41:54 PM »

I remember there were already threads about the political trends of fictional cities like Gotham (Batman) and Metropolis (Superman).

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=256404.msg5470351#msg5470351

Stranger Things is my favorite TV series on Netflix. As we all know, it is set in the 1980s in the fictional city of Hawkins, Indiana where mysterious creatures are threatening the population. Indiana is usually a Republican stronghold that voted Democrat only once in the last 50 years (in 2008). According to you, would Hawkins trend more Republican like areas such as Fort Wayne, Hamilton or Evansville or more Democrat like areas such as Indianapolis, Bloomington or Hammond? And why?
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 10:36:04 PM »

Probably a pretty GOP town. Heh, I just remembered... Dustin's? mom had a Mondale/Ferraro yard sign, didn't she? Brought a smile to my face for some reason.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 10:41:54 PM »

Well, given that one of the biggest establishments in that town is a research laboratory, I'd presume they have a pretty above-average educated population and would vote pretty Republican as of the 1980s. Los Alamos, New Mexico, is a pretty good comparison point; they were solidly GOP 1968-2004 before trending hard left in the Obama and Trump eras.

Reagan won there 58-25-(15 Anderson) and then 70-29. Pretty Republican in those days.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 07:28:09 PM »

To be fair, they are more worried about monsters than immigrants at this point.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 08:45:22 PM »

Well, last season we saw all but one character had Reagan/Bush signs in 1984...but that was 1984. I believe the town is intended to be in the 'donut' of counties surrounding Indianapolis. This means that the county starts off rather exurban/smalltown - like in the show, but by now might be full on suburban as the Indianapolis metro has expanded like any city. Therefore, unless we say the town is in the long-term suburban county of Hamilton, it trended right due to Pence's home-state effect.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 05:35:54 AM »
« Edited: April 24, 2018, 05:42:15 AM by UWS »

Mike's parents had a Reagan/Bush sign.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/stranger-things/268557/stranger-things-2-complete-easter-egg-and-reference-guide
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 06:19:02 AM »
« Edited: April 24, 2018, 06:22:28 AM by OneJ_ »

Yeah it wouldn't surprise me if this town is a GOP town. Like Vosem stated, it does seem to be better educated than average and the educated tended to lean Republican during that time.

Also, I liked how they put those Reagan and Mondale (or was it Carter?) signs up to emphasize the era it's set in.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 06:40:11 AM »

Yeah it wouldn't surprise me if this town is a GOP town. Like Vosem stated, it does seem to be better educated than average and the educated tended to lean Republican during that time.

Also, I liked how they put those Reagan and Mondale (or was it Carter?) signs up to emphasize the era it's set in.

Season 1 was in 1983 and Season 2 was in 1984 so it was Reagan vs Mondale.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 10:09:52 AM »

Yeah I agree about it going GOP. Dustin's mom was the only one with a Mondale sign and she seems pretty eccentric.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 12:00:46 PM »

Yeah I agree about it going GOP. Dustin's mom was the only one with a Mondale sign and she seems pretty eccentric.

And possibly also Lucas' family since 91 % of African-Americans voted Mondale nationally in 1984 unless they are in the 9 % who voted Reagan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_1984#Voter_demographics
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 12:04:25 PM »

And possibly also Lucas' family since 91 % of African-Americans voted Mondale nationally in 1984 unless they are in the 9 % who voted Reagan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_1984#Voter_demographics

That is quite possible, if not likely.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 04:36:55 AM »

Is there a real town today in Indiana like Hawkins? I would say to look at 1996-2004 Sunnyvale, California but their issues were more based on wizardry and witchcraft than extradimensional Physics but transdimensional demons are transdimensional demons.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2018, 10:09:26 PM »

I actually am pretty confident that someone like Joyce, will's mother, would be a mondale supporter
AtorBoltox

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2018, 07:40:14 PM »

I actually am pretty confident that someone like Joyce, will's mother, would be a mondale supporter
Probably a non voter. Your son being possessed by a demon would distract you
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies