Turkish snap election, June 2018 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:26:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Turkish snap election, June 2018 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Turkish snap election, June 2018  (Read 27066 times)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« on: April 18, 2018, 11:50:00 AM »

... and it also takes place in anticipation of the inevitable economic downturn that will take place in the coming years, as the current pace of economic growth (7.5%) is unsustainable. Anyway, all very cynical reasons, and it is sad to witness Turkey's descent into dictatorship.

Also fully expecting the AKP to receive more votes from my neighborhood than the VVD did.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 12:02:58 PM »

Turnout in the Netherlands at 121k, slightly higher than the 116k in the referendum last year and higher than ever. Will be somewhere around 50%.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 10:05:56 AM »

If AK don't actually win this, they'll make sure they win through fraud. And if even that isn't possible, I don't necessarily expect a peaceful transition of power.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 10:51:23 AM »

Turnout 86.9%. Only microstates, some states with mandatory voting, and Denmark and Sweden reach such percentages. Really don't understand how turnout in Turkey is always so high.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 10:54:01 AM »

What's worrying is that Erdogan is clearly ahead even in Istanbul and Ankara at this point. And there's also 25% counted already.
He's going to be ahead in most places, because the opposition vote is split in the first round. What matters if he's going to get over 50% of the vote.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 10:55:33 AM »

Turnout 86.9%. Only microstates, some states with mandatory voting, and Denmark and Sweden reach such percentages. Really don't understand how turnout in Turkey is always so high.
Italy used to have turnouts in the 90s back in the heydays of the First Republic (and even in 2008 it was still above 80).
True, Italy also has historically high turnout (the Netherlands and some other countries used to have turnout in the high 80s too, back in the 80s). But Turkey is clearly an outlier in terms of development vs. turnout.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 11:54:35 AM »

Are votes from abroad already taken into account?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 11:55:40 AM »

AKP-MHP will also certainly have an absolute majority with these numbers. Perfect.
This, but without even a trace of sarcasm.

Didn't know you Stan for the far right Tim.
The MHP is a mere appendage of AKP for the time being. I don't care about the MHP. And the AKP ain't far right.
I don't want to spam the thread too much with political discussion instead of looking at the results, but do you not find it a bit disturbing that Erdogan is using literal Grey Wolf fascists to bolster his support? That's odious stuff.
People like Tim are why I voted PVV and have zero regrets
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 06:04:26 AM »
« Edited: June 25, 2018, 08:30:15 AM by DavidB. »

So I would guess that most of them either don't care what happens in Turkey, or think that they shouldn't influence it. Maybe because they identify themselves as German.
Lmao, typical leftist European apologism for indefensible behavior by immigrants. 25% of German Turks are still hundreds of thousands of people.

I agree with Hades: Erdogan voters in the Netherlands should just hand in their Dutch passports and leave. Why do they want to be here if this country is so bad (Erdogan called us Nazis and fascists) and Turkey so good?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 06:26:05 AM »

Yeah, those big bad Turks are so unforgivable for supporting Erdogan. Now tell me again how Orban is the lesser evil or whatever bullsh*t rationalization you used to excuse his acting exactly like Erdogan.
Surely you see that in my view, the survival of Europe as we know it depends on maintaining our identities and on maintaining native majorities in our countries.

Hungary is the main EU member state pushing for an end to mass immigration and calling for renewed appreciation for our national heritage. Turkey, on the other hand, is a non-European country with a regime fundamentally hostile to European civilization, as it is Islamist (and therefore expansive) in nature. Ankara actively incites its diaspora to side with Turkey and not with the countries they immigrated to.

Put differently, a Hungarian in the Netherlands voting for Orbán does a great service to the Dutch people, as a vote for Hungary to maintain its identity is also a vote for the Netherlands to maintain its identity. Meanwhile, a Turk in the Netherlands voting for AK does a great disservice to the Dutch people, as the Turkish regime is hostile to the Dutch people, to the Netherlands, and to European civilization.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 06:50:45 AM »

I also have to take issue with the assertion that a member of the diaspora who bothers to fill out a ballot for the AKP is necessarily 'poorly integrated' or hostile to European liberal norms: it's rather telling that attempts to create AKP Abroad type parties in the relevant countries have fallen flat, except for the Netherlands.
The only other Western European countries with a sufficiently significant Turkish population are Germany, Austria and Belgium. The former two have an electoral threshold of 5% and 4% respectively, making it much more difficult for such a party to break through (and deterring voters in the first place); in Belgium such a party would have to reach 5% on a district level.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 07:20:32 AM »

So this has nothing to do about holding leaders to a universal standard of moral behavior, and everything to do with Schmittian friend/enemy distinctions. Thanks for spelling that out, but if it's truly just a matter of "us versus them" then please spare us the moral outrage.
I'm not in the business of "moral outrage". We brought this disaster on ourselves. I don't blame unintegrated Turkish voters for voting for AK. Their behavior is indefensible but the consequence of our own failure: I blame ourselves for taking them in and granting them European citizenship. They are being hypocritical for voting for Erdogan and living in our free countries, but we are facilitating this hypocrisy by making it more attractive for them to live here than there.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies