Turkish snap election, June 2018
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:49:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Turkish snap election, June 2018
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13
Author Topic: Turkish snap election, June 2018  (Read 27315 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 24, 2018, 12:33:34 AM »

Polls are now open.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Presidential results page in English (+ previous election results):

https://www.yenisafak.com/en/secim-cumhurbaskanligi-2018/secim-sonuclari

Parliamentary results page:

https://www.yenisafak.com/en/secim-2018/secim-sonuclari
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2018, 05:16:27 AM »

5PM local time would be 4PM CEST, right?
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2018, 05:21:27 AM »

Yes
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2018, 06:44:40 AM »

First major irregularities have been reported from the southern province of Sanliurfa, on the Syrian border (an AKP, but also Kurdish stronghold).

A pre-stuffed ballot box has appeared, 3 men tried to enter a polling station with bundles of 1000 ballot papers, CHP election commission members were hit by AKP-supporters, people running around with guns on the streets to intimidate voters, men voting for their wives etc. etc.

Audrey Glover, head of the OSCE election observers, said their team is unable to visit/observe in the province because of security reasons.

The Turkish election commission YSK has said they will "investigate" these reports.

https://kurier.at/politik/ausland/tuerkei-wahl-erdogan-spricht-von-demokratischer-revolution/400056056

Yes, but there's an embargo for results/exit polls until 9pm local time (8pm CEST).
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2018, 07:07:17 AM »

In total, there are more than 59 million eligible voters:

56,322,632 in Turkey and 3,049,065 abroad.

Turnout would need to be at 84.22% for more than 50 million votes cast.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2018, 07:12:49 AM »

First major irregularities have been reported from the southern province of Sanliurfa, on the Syrian border (an AKP, but also Kurdish stronghold).

A pre-stuffed ballot box has appeared, 3 men tried to enter a polling station with bundles of 1000 ballot papers, CHP election commission members were hit by AKP-supporters, people running around with guns on the streets to intimidate voters, men voting for their wives etc. etc.

Audrey Glover, head of the OSCE election observers, said their team is unable to visit/observe in the province because of security reasons.

The Turkish election commission YSK has said they will "investigate" these reports.

https://kurier.at/politik/ausland/tuerkei-wahl-erdogan-spricht-von-demokratischer-revolution/400056056

Yes, but there's an embargo for results/exit polls until 9pm local time (8pm CEST).

I'm soooo shocked the Muslim fundamentalists are the ones intimidating voters with extreme violence and marginalizing women... Who would've thought?? I was sure it'd be the evil secularists!
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2018, 07:23:44 AM »

I'm soooo shocked the Muslim fundamentalists are the ones intimidating voters with extreme violence and marginalizing women... Who would've thought?? I was sure it'd be the evil secularists!

Yeah, but aside from those incidents near the Syrian border, it seems to me that the election is held in a good enough manner so far.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2018, 07:26:30 AM »

Yeah, but aside from those incidents near the Syrian border, it seems to me that the election is held in a good enough manner so far.

Or they have just been sneaky enough that there hasn't been any reporting of the irregularities.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2018, 07:26:47 AM »

Pictures of major candidates voting:

Erdogan

Ince

Aksener:

Pictures of people voting:

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/pg/photo-gallery/voting-begins-in-turkey-s-elections
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2018, 07:33:32 AM »

There is no official word on turnout but when Erdogan voted around 2pm he said that turnout seems high and had already reached 50%.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2018, 07:34:35 AM »

Or they have just been sneaky enough that there hasn't been any reporting of the irregularities.

Unlikely - at least on a large scale - because the opposition has been staffing every polling precinct much better with their own people than in previous elections.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2018, 07:38:56 AM »

There is no official word on turnout but when Erdogan voted around 2pm he said that turnout seems high and had already reached 50%.

Not surprising that turnout will be really high this time.

It's a combined election for President & Parliament, with the additional chance of ousting Erdogan that mobilizes supporters and opponents.

It will likely end up ~ 85%.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: June 24, 2018, 07:52:57 AM »

My feeling is eerily similar to before the last Israeli election, when we though there was hope and Bibi won decisively. I hope it won't be the same here- if Erdogan is somehow defeated in the end, it'll be an amazing day.

On the other hand its almost like seeing Malaysia 2018 on repeat - at least pre-election. All the ground hope and 'gut knowledge' seemed to be with the opposition, but practical statistics pointed to a close BN win. The main difference I feel is the Erdogan has many more authoritarian tools at his disposal then Najib did, so its even easier to see him winning.

You might be right.  But a key person in the Malaysia upset, PKR de facto leader Anwar, hopes that is not true as he has endorsed Erdogan as ""the most popular leader among Muslims of Malaysia and outside Malaysia because of his position on Palestine and on what happened to the Middle East."   Until yesterday he was in Turkey to show his support for Erdogan.

ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #88 on: June 24, 2018, 08:51:25 AM »

It's been nearly an hour and still no results...
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2018, 08:52:55 AM »

5 more hours.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2018, 08:53:59 AM »

No, polls only close in 7 minutes.

And then there's an embargo for results for another 4 hours.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2018, 08:55:08 AM »

Pictures of major candidates voting:

Erdogan

Erdogan using kids as human shields does not surprise me.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: June 24, 2018, 08:55:20 AM »

No, polls only close in 7 minutes.

And then there's an embargo for results for another 4 hours.

Oh, my mistake. I thought polls closed at 9 AM Eastern, not 10. Also, why is there a 4 hour embargo?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: June 24, 2018, 08:55:52 AM »

3 dead in Erzurum province during a fight in a polling station.

Among them the provincial leader of the IYI party there.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: June 24, 2018, 09:04:02 AM »

Sabah TV is still doing this party 1 party 2 .... Candidate 1 candidate 2 candidate 3 ... business.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: June 24, 2018, 09:12:02 AM »

Not sure why there's a 4-hour embargo until the results from the Turkish election commission are forwarded to the media ...

In Venezuela, they do it because they need to fake the results in favour of the government party in these hours, if they do not like the results that are sent to them from the precincts.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: June 24, 2018, 09:14:18 AM »

Not sure why there's a 4-hour embargo until the results from the Turkish election commission are forwarded to the media ...

In Venezuela, they do it because they need to fake the results in favour of the government party in these hours, if they do not like the results that are sent to them from the precincts.

Considering this is Erdogan, I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened in Turkey. Tongue
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: June 24, 2018, 09:15:19 AM »

The count tends to have an early bias toward Erdogan/AKP.  So when earlier results comes out and Erdogan/AKP does not have large lead then they are in clear trouble.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: June 24, 2018, 09:19:36 AM »

The count tends to have an early bias toward Erdogan/AKP.  So when earlier results comes out and Erdogan/AKP does not have large lead then they are in clear trouble.

I assume this is because rural areas come in first.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2018, 09:20:01 AM »

I assume this is because rural areas come in first.

Correct
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies